School Board bans All Christmas Carols

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/essex/index.ssf?/base/news-6/1102486653316540.xml

Despite pressure from residents and outside interest groups, the South Orange/Maplewood Board of Education stood by its policy banning Christmas carols from being played at instrumental holiday concerts this year.

The board, which has been shoved in the national spotlight since the policy was clarified two weeks ago, issued a statement at its meeting Monday night reaffirming its stance.

"We continue to support the restriction that music programs prepared or presented by student groups as an outcome of the curriculum shall not have a religious orientation or focus on religious holidays," said Brian F. O'Leary, board president.

"Absent that restriction, a concert or performance could become an opportunity not to learn about a religious holiday or tradition, but to celebrate it."

But parents, residents and students complained that the district's policy was a slap to the diversity on which residents in Maplewood and South Orange pride themselves.

"Now that our two towns are more diverse than ever, it seems to me that policy 2270 denies it," said Shirlee Gross, a 51-year resident of Maplewood. "I suppose you realize that Columbia's students think the policy is silly, and thanks to media coverage, we have become the laughingstock of the country as well."

Although the policy has been in place for more than a decade, it came under fire this year when the board said the ban also extends to musical renditions of Christmas carols or other songs referring to religious holidays or symbols.

Even though the brass ensemble was allowed to play songs such as "Silent Night" or "Santa Claus is Coming to Town," in years past, the district decided this year to clarify the restrictions.

"We expect that board policies be implemented in a consistent manner," said O'Leary.

The board's decision has provoked heated debate within the community while drawing national attention as well. Assorted interest groups have sought out district parents in hopes of filing a lawsuit challenging the board of education.

Demetrios Stratis, an attorney with Alliance Defense Fund, a group that has mounted numerous legal challenges against schools over religion, chastised the board.

"People are tired of efforts to sanitize religious expression in the public schools. This policy against even instrumental Christmas music flies in the face of all common sense and is neither necessary nor constitutional," said Stratis.

Ryan Dahn, a sophomore and member of the brass ensemble, said the group is now scrambling to find music for its concerts.

"It's ridiculous that every piece we have to play has to be reviewed by a district lawyer," said Dahn.

Not everyone, however, was critical of the district.

Mark Brownstein, a Maplewood resident, said he resents ideologues who are parachuting into the district, threatening to bring lawsuits.

"The passion of the opposition to the policy and the suggestion by some that there needs to be greater interjection of religion into the holiday concert heightens my suspicions that this is about something more than the crusade for educational freedom," he said. "I think the board has got it right."

O'Leary compared the district's policy to others such as those in Livingston, Montclair, Cherry Hill and Shaker Heights, Ohio, where Superintendent Peter Horoschak once worked.

The policy there also calls for music devoid of religious references at its concerts.

Peggy Caldwell, a spokeswoman for the district, said the policy, passed in 1980, is a nonissue.

"This has been a very diverse community for so long, and so well- known for tolerance that these things got worked out a long time ago," said Caldwell. "By and large, it's accepted that this works."

This decision is just further proof that some people are just too stupid to breed. It's Christmas fer cryin' out loud, I'm not even Christian and I can appreciate the sentiment of Christmas. Too bad it's turned into an annual orgy of rampant consumerism, but Christmas carols ARE NOT going to warp the minds of all the little Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Sikh, Wiccan, Daoist and whatever other religion you wanna name, children.

It's all the parent's fault...they take their religions waaaay too seriously and seem intent on screwing things up for everyone else. They just need to sit back, have a drink, or smoke a joint and CHILL OUT! IT'S CHRISTMAS!

<blockquote><a href=http://www.illwillpress.com/>"NO CHRISTMAS FOR YOU"
FOAMY TAKES ON THE ANTI-CHRISTMAS CROWD!</a></blockquote>

Follow the link and click on the image above the title. It pretty much sums it all up. And it's a hoot. Might take a while to load if you've got dial-up though, but it's worth it.

Bully that was great ...lol... had the whole house LOL...thanks!!! & happy Holidays
Jeff

Ohmigod, that was hysterical. Thankyou, Bully, I really needed that. (Wipes tears of laughter from her eyes, and goes to watch it again) :thup:

I have a thought....

Perhaps these people are simply unhappy people who can't deal with the fact that Christmas makes everyone else happy and spreads good will and cheer and want some attention.... perhaps with some some love and understanding they'll see the errors of their ways

But on the other hand.... maybe they're just neo-Yuppie scumbags

Does anyone know what finally happened with this?
I see the article date was December 08, 2004, the kids must be on break by now.
Did they have their concert yet? I'm hoping the kids got together an blew-off the program and played
every damn carol they ever heard.

KarlMarx said:
I have a thought....

Perhaps these people are simply unhappy people who can't deal with the fact that Christmas makes everyone else happy and spreads good will and cheer and want some attention.... perhaps with some some love and understanding they'll see the errors of their ways

But on the other hand.... maybe they're just neo-Yuppie scumbags

Nah, they just need to be bitch-slapped.

• Thanks
Reactions: CSM
Given their stance on this, I would presume they will not be celebrating Matin Luther King day either. After all, Matin Luther King was a Christian minister and they wouldn't want a federal recognition of his life to degenerate into some kind of celebration of Christian principles would they?

Bullypulpit said:
Nah, they just need to be bitch-slapped.

Well.... I have to tell you. I worked with someone that could have been safely defined as a neo-yuppie scum bag, card carrying member of the ACLU, NOW, Greenpeace, Amnesty International etc etc etc. Her car had more bumper stickers on it than paint and for every cause known.

Well... she was the most difficult, humorless, vindictive person I ever had to work with. Her attitude that the rules that we were all expected to follow at work (e.g. coming to work on time) were nothing more than oppression aimed at her, specifically (did I mention that she was also a self centered narcissist?). She was constantly down at HR complaining about our manager and others. She was practically on a first name basis with them! Boy, were we glad when she left to go back to school! And "we" included men, women, Republicans, Democrats, Christians, Jews and probably one or two atheists thrown in for good measure!

Now, she wasn't a "typical" liberal, and I don't mean to say that she was. In fact, I work with some libs at work, and I think that they're nice people (although somewhat misguided). But wow, this one person was a good example of how disagreeable we can become when we go to the extreme in our chosen set of beliefs!

I think that the ACLU can take a hint here folks!

Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Rockin' Ramadaan, Kwazy Kwaanza and a Delightful Dawahli to all!

Forum List

Back