Scholars seek to correct 'mistakes' in Bible

Nate

Gold Member
May 7, 2010
Sooner State
The scholars note where the text we have now differs from older versions — differences that are evidence of the inevitable textual hiccups, scribal errors and other human fingerprints that became part of the Bible as it was passed on, orally and in writing.
A Microsoft Excel chart projected on one wall on a recent Sunday showed variations in a single phrase from the Book of Malachi, a prophet.

The verse in question, from the text we know today, makes reference to "those who swear falsely." The scholars have found that in quotes from rabbinic writings around the 5th century A.D., the phrase was longer: "those who swear falsely in my name."

In another example, this one from the Book of Deuteronomy, a passage referring to commandments given by God "to you" once read "to us," a significant change in meaning.

Other differences are more striking.

The Book of Jeremiah is now one-seventh longer than the one that appears in some of the 2,000-year-old manuscripts known as the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Some verses, including ones containing a prophecy about the seizure and return of Temple implements by Babylonian soldiers, appear to have been added after the events happened.

Scholars seek to correct 'mistakes' in Bible - World news - Mideast/N. Africa - msnbc.com

Hell of an endeavor these scholars are undertaking! Though the main reason I posted this was to show those that constantly use the phrase "because the bible tells us so" may want to be careful... This intriguing book has passed through many hands over the last 2000 years or so and didn't have the church's best interest in mind(though they probably thought they did) ie, Martin Luther.
Although Protestants like to think positively about Martin Luther because of his supposed belief in sola Scriptura (the Bible alone), the truth is that Martin Luther changed parts of the Bible and discounted the value of many books.

Notice a change he admitted to regarding Romans 3:28:

You tell me what a great fuss the Papists are making because the word alone in not in the text of Paul…say right out to him: ‘Dr. Martin Luther will have it so,’…I will have it so, and I order it to be so, and my will is reason enough. I know very well that the word ‘alone’ is not in the Latin or the Greek text (Stoddard J. Rebuilding a Lost Faith. 1922, pp. 101-102; see also Luther M. Amic. Discussion, 1, 127).

This passage strongly suggests that Martin Luther viewed his opinions, and not the actual Bible as the primary authority–a concept which this author will name prima Luther. By “papists” he is condemning Roman Catholics.

Martin Luther Changed and/or Discounted 18 Books of the Bible

Im in full support of their efforts and I pray that the Spirit of God helps them in their endevour. I want the Word of God as accurately as I get it. And while I don't think the Bible in it's current form prevents God from teaching us His sacred truth, The more accurate it is, the better the Spirit can teach us.

A research group in Canada, has proved that the Old Testement has been massively mistranslated.
This follows three years of research, which have uncovered the actual system for translating ancient Hebrew.
The group discovered that each letter is not a letter at all, but a full word, and what was believed to be a word, is actually a sentence like description, which supplies the definition of the word. With this discovery, each word can now be properly defined and the results are astounding.
This means a word can no longer be disputed and swayed by doctrinal pressures
If accurate, the findings will rewrite everything we presently believe about the scriptual beginnings of the Earth.
Research Head Christopher Tyreman states that what they have found, proves without a doubt, that the Bible has been grossly mistranslated and that their findings expose this fact with glaring simplicity. He further stated that he finds it interesting that a group of lay researchers were able to see and assemble what they call "Self Defining Hebrew or the SDH System" while experts seemed unaware of its existence.
The team also wished people to understand that this is not a bible code, but the system the original language was built on.
Its construct shows it to be a manufactured system of massive complexity, using only twenty words, which when mixed, can supply a complete language.
Mr. Tyreman also added that the form of this language shows it could not have evolved from surrounding cultures as it is incapable of importing words from outside language. This alone points to an origination outside of the scope of the presently held theories of language development. These findings could have a major impact on how Science and religion look at our beginnings

A research group in Canada, has proved that the Old Testement has been massively mistranslated.
This follows three years of research, which have uncovered the actual system for translating ancient Hebrew.
The group discovered that each letter is not a letter at all, but a full word, and what was believed to be a word, is actually a sentence like description, which supplies the definition of the word. With this discovery, each word can now be properly defined and the results are astounding.
This means a word can no longer be disputed and swayed by doctrinal pressures
If accurate, the findings will rewrite everything we presently believe about the scriptual beginnings of the Earth.
Research Head Christopher Tyreman states that what they have found, proves without a doubt, that the Bible has been grossly mistranslated and that their findings expose this fact with glaring simplicity. He further stated that he finds it interesting that a group of lay researchers were able to see and assemble what they call "Self Defining Hebrew or the SDH System" while experts seemed unaware of its existence.
The team also wished people to understand that this is not a bible code, but the system the original language was built on.
Its construct shows it to be a manufactured system of massive complexity, using only twenty words, which when mixed, can supply a complete language.
Mr. Tyreman also added that the form of this language shows it could not have evolved from surrounding cultures as it is incapable of importing words from outside language. This alone points to an origination outside of the scope of the presently held theories of language development. These findings could have a major impact on how Science and religion look at our beginnings

Interesting read cootydog! You may wanna site where you got it from though, the mods here are extremely testy when it comes to stuff like that.
Researchers Prove Bible Grossly Mistranslated - CNN iReport

Being that you're new, I'm sure they'll overlook it. Welcome to the USMessageboard, by the way. :)

I've heard that many times in the Bible when the word "world" is used the more accurate translation is the word "earth", but use of the term earth in the instances it should appear in the Bible would make the Bible look even more silly from a scientific point of view as these are passages when the Bible is calling the Earth flat (4 cornered).

One question.

If God is who He says He is in the Bible, is He either so weak or so uncaring as to defend His Word to us from those who wish to pervert it?

Don't forget God threatens to punish those who try to pervert His Word.

On the other hand, if they are trying to clarify not "correct mistakes" the Word to be the most accurate possible, then why wouldn't God be present in this effort, and if not, what is their real goal?

Let all men be liars but God remains true.

The scholars note where the text we have now differs from older versions — differences that are evidence of the inevitable textual hiccups, scribal errors and other human fingerprints that became part of the Bible as it was passed on, orally and in writing.
A Microsoft Excel chart projected on one wall on a recent Sunday showed variations in a single phrase from the Book of Malachi, a prophet.

The verse in question, from the text we know today, makes reference to "those who swear falsely." The scholars have found that in quotes from rabbinic writings around the 5th century A.D., the phrase was longer: "those who swear falsely in my name."

In another example, this one from the Book of Deuteronomy, a passage referring to commandments given by God "to you" once read "to us," a significant change in meaning.

Other differences are more striking.

The Book of Jeremiah is now one-seventh longer than the one that appears in some of the 2,000-year-old manuscripts known as the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Some verses, including ones containing a prophecy about the seizure and return of Temple implements by Babylonian soldiers, appear to have been added after the events happened.

Scholars seek to correct 'mistakes' in Bible - World news - Mideast/N. Africa - msnbc.com

Hell of an endeavor these scholars are undertaking! Though the main reason I posted this was to show those that constantly use the phrase "because the bible tells us so" may want to be careful... This intriguing book has passed through many hands over the last 2000 years or so and didn't have the church's best interest in mind(though they probably thought they did) ie, Martin Luther.
Although Protestants like to think positively about Martin Luther because of his supposed belief in sola Scriptura (the Bible alone), the truth is that Martin Luther changed parts of the Bible and discounted the value of many books.

Notice a change he admitted to regarding Romans 3:28:

You tell me what a great fuss the Papists are making because the word alone in not in the text of Paul…say right out to him: ‘Dr. Martin Luther will have it so,’…I will have it so, and I order it to be so, and my will is reason enough. I know very well that the word ‘alone’ is not in the Latin or the Greek text (Stoddard J. Rebuilding a Lost Faith. 1922, pp. 101-102; see also Luther M. Amic. Discussion, 1, 127).

This passage strongly suggests that Martin Luther viewed his opinions, and not the actual Bible as the primary authority–a concept which this author will name prima Luther. By “papists” he is condemning Roman Catholics.

Martin Luther Changed and/or Discounted 18 Books of the Bible
Martin Luther was correct. It was not his opinion. He just correctly showed that the Catholic Church had grown into a overpowering entity and had lost it's true way. The Catholic Church declared it's traditions equal in authority to the Bible which is totally absurd and WRONG!

Forum List

Back