Schmidt: Gay Marriage Now A Conservative Cause

How long have I been stating that?
Conservatives have a long tradition of supporting gay rights.
Big government supporters of more regulations always are against gay marriage.

My oldest son, who is homosexual, absolutely destroyed me in an argument in under 15 seconds.

He said, "I have every right to property and happiness that anyone else has in America, all that stands in the way is the religious background of the majority of Americans, particularly Judeo-Christians. I don't subscribe to those religions, why shouldn't I have the same rights as everyone else?"

My reply: I started some muttering about states rights then I realized that he's right, I had no argument.

The only thing "wrong" with homosexuality was that we had the Roman Catholic Church control our civilization for 1,500 years and most of it was called, not surprisingly, the "Dark Ages".

Your oldest son sounds like a smart man Frank.
And I applaud you for being proud of him.

My oldest son, who is homosexual, absolutely destroyed me in an argument in under 15 seconds.

He said, "I have every right to property and happiness that anyone else has in America, all that stands in the way is the religious background of the majority of Americans, particularly Judeo-Christians. I don't subscribe to those religions, why shouldn't I have the same rights as everyone else?"

My reply: I started some muttering about states rights then I realized that he's right, I had no argument.

The only thing "wrong" with homosexuality was that we had the Roman Catholic Church control our civilization for 1,500 years and most of it was called, not surprisingly, the "Dark Ages".

There is a lot of good homos bring:
(1) Best fashion salesmen in the stories. They have a better eye for men's fashion then any chick in the story. I actually seek out the biggest fag in the store, because they help out more then you could image.
(2) Less competition at the bars (at least in my single days)!
(3) One of my brothers back in college was a fag. Best work out buddy I ever had.
(4) Most seem to be hard workers and highly intelligent. Not sure the statistics, but I would bet fags are probably one of the most affluent, high tax payor bracket and least on public support groups in the world.

This is hilarious.

Just seeing the words, "Gay Marriage" and "Conservative Cause" in the same sentence is enough to make one erupt into gales of laughter.

First of all, the word "homosexual" has "sex" right in the middle of it. And second, as soon as you say the word, you start thinking about another guy's thingy.

'scuse me, I had to take a break and stop laughing.

Conservatives accepting anything gay? That's about as likely as Rudy Giuliani or George Bush in drag.

Couldn't find Bush in drag. How about a soul kiss? :tongue:

http://andrewcg.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/bush_kiss-761118.jpg

http://intoxination.net/files/giuliani_in_drag2.jpg

george_bush_male_chearleader_in_drag.jpg

Bush is the one in the center.

What is it about conservatives wearing women's clothing. As soon as they put it on, they want to hit the stage. "Hey, look at me!"

Pure BS.

Remember, "Protect Marriage Amendment"?

I don't see how it can be called conservative. I'd say libertarian. It seems popular to label it that way because of those who are conservative fiscally, but liberal/libertarian socially. That doesn't make it a conservative opinion, as any long-time social conservative would tell you.

Well we can certainly disagree civilly. I see this as a moral issue and I don't think using the force of government in moral issues is conservative. It's just social engineering with a different agenda in my opinion.

Then you seem to be redefining conservative, because moral issues like this have been the bedrock of conservative thought as far back as I can remember. I think this more a case of some wanting to consider themselves libertarian/conservative, but not liking the connotation of that self-labelling. In that case define yourself differently, because you're defining conservative incorrectly.

You see wrong, I have no issues with any self-labeling or connotations. Social conservatism for me has never been about using the force of government to dictate society. I have noticed a definite shift towards statism by social conservatives, which is really just social liberalism.

It takes a certain amount of courage and consistency to be a True Conservative who is willing to stand for small government no matter what.

It is Social "conservatives" and Neocons who give lip service to small government only when it involves government programs they don't want and are all for spending and programs they do want...particularly those that allow them to tell other people what to do.

Pure BS.

Remember, "Protect Marriage Amendment"?

I am talking about REAL conservatives, NOT the PMA folks.
Us Goldwater types.
Not the poser conservatives here, ditto Lush heads, Sean worshippers and the current religous "wrong".
True conservatives seek to protect the rights of everyone, especially those that they may despise the most.

Gays are becoming more conservative because they want to settle down get married and raise a nice family.

I've seen this coming. It's ironic. Lol.

Nah, I think they're just getting REALLY tired of having to keep up the "conservatives are morally superior" ruse... and I think they're bored with tap dancing in airport bathrooms. Let your freak flag fly pasty white dudes! Spread the rainbow!

Given the Conservative principle of staying out of your private life, they should not oppose gays choosing to get married

This is hilarious.

Just seeing the words, "Gay Marriage" and "Conservative Cause" in the same sentence is enough to make one erupt into gales of laughter.

First of all, the word "homosexual" has "sex" right in the middle of it. And second, as soon as you say the word, you start thinking about another guy's thingy.

'scuse me, I had to take a break and stop laughing.

Conservatives accepting anything gay? That's about as likely as Rudy Giuliani or George Bush in drag.

i support gay marriage as long is government is invovled in marriage....

why don't you stop hating everything right of your wacky far left views and become a rational person

Schmidt: Gay Marriage Now a Conservative Cause | FrumForum

August 31st, 2010 at 3:28 pm FRUMFORUM NEWS | 74 Comments |
Former McCain campaign manager Steve Schmidt tells Sam Stein of the Huffington Post why gay marriage is now a conservative cause:

&#8220;There is a strong conservative case to be made in favor of gay marriage,&#8221; former McCain campaign manager and fellow same-sex marriage fundraiser Steve Schmidt told the Huffington Post on Tuesday. &#8220;Marriage is an institution that strengthens and stabilizes society. It is an institution that has the capacity to bring profound joy and happiness to people and it is a matter of equality and keeping faith of one of the charters of the nation, the right to live your life. <more>

Well I for one and a conservative who supports gays right to marry. However I also support states rights to define for themselves what marriage is. If you want to change that part then lets pass a constitutional Amendment that gives the power to define marriage to the Feds instead of circumventing the constitution all the time.

Seems like a reasonable request to me, but then who am I lol.

Forum List

Back