Schiavo Case: Santorum Unfit for Office of Presidency

I
The thing was, she wasn't "unplugged", she was systematically starved to death over a period of something like 15 days.

Ok, fair enough. But I have to ask...........

1) What would YOU have wanted if you were in her exact position? (vegetative state, liquidated brain, no hope for recovery)

2) Do you think it is the role of the Executive and Legislative Branches of the Federal Government to take decisions away from families and doctors? (Keep in mind this was already played out in court.)

If my brain was liquid, I wouldn't care one way or the other.

If I was in her exact position, I would be more concerned about my folks than my spouse.

the law says once you're married, the parents don't make the decisions.

would you want your wife's parents interfering in a decision made jointly between you and your spouse.

but again, that's not the issue here. the issue here is that the court ruled... multiple courts ruled. and congress tried to interfere in a private matter.

The state was able to murder this poor woman, in a most particularly horrible way. It was nothing more than state sanctioned torture of the worst kind. Terri Schiavo was not unplugged and allowed to die. She died of starvation and dehydration after almost two weeks of agony. This is what democrats do. The torture of the innocent, but don't splash water in a terrorist's face. Michael Schiavo wanted what remained of the insurance money. He made his case of greed and a liberal court agreed with him.

Well, why intervene to save anyone? If someone gets hit by a bus and is laying on the street, it is up to them to crawl to the hospital if they really want treatment.

That's not what happened. There was intervention. Schaivo never recovered. She was being kept alive, artificially.

I know. But the point of " if she is hungry she should have asked" was just idiotic. I am not opposed to remove feeding tubes. I wouldn't want one in the first place.

A better solution would be to require everyone to have an Advanced Directive in place so that your wishes are known to everyone prior to having to make these decisions. Then, certain things can be withheld based on your choosing.
This may be the only "solution." Starvation vs. slowly wasting away are the alternatives. Her parents remembered a young child, helpless, that grew up; the ex husband, a woman he married. Thus, I do not see Santorum as "unfit", he does show consistency with his pro life stance. NOW, if Santorum could respect the needs of young children, he could be very consistent. But that is welfare, thus anathema to many conservatives.

The Fourteenth Amendment specifically prohibits the states from taking someones life without due process. What crime was Terry Schiavo guilty of that empowered the state to terminate her life? When was she convicted of it.

If any state tries to terminate someones life, the Federal Government has a responsibility under the United States Constitution to prevent it from happening without due process.

I know you think that anyone who is unhealthy or somehow "less" human should be killed. But the protection of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness has always been an American value. And it will continue to be so, regardless of much you complain.

There are plenty of things to complain about Santorum on, this sure as heck isn't one of them.

Santorum has already eliminated himself from consideration by beating the drums of war; rational Americans understand war is not the answer to the myriad problems in the ME and beyond. Obama's policy - diplomacy and sanctions - protects human life.

On a side issue why would anyone intervene in the decision made by a husband as he and others did in the Schiavo matter? Santorum is many things, I suppose, but a medical doctor he is not and even a medical doctor who didn't have the patients entire medical record and personally examined her would be speaking out of his ass in offering a medical opinion as one Senator did.

Though Terry Schiavo didn't have a DNR or other written document would Santorum recognize a persons will to end their life with dignity if they so choose? Do you?

With all honesty I find the 'conservative' ethic one of hypocrisy - there is a time to live and a time to die - and if one chooses to end their own life with dignity and you or Santorum deny them that right how can either of you claim to be supporters of liberty. Taking that right from a rational persons decision is the height of authoritarianism.

Conservatives are not anti-Govt or for anarchy. Sorry, but you don't seem to know the difference.

Of course not..and we recognize that. What conservatives are for is a government run by for profit people..for their own personal profit.

Plutocracy.

The state was able to murder this poor woman, in a most particularly horrible way. It was nothing more than state sanctioned torture of the worst kind. Terri Schiavo was not unplugged and allowed to die. She died of starvation and dehydration after almost two weeks of agony. This is what democrats do. The torture of the innocent, but don't splash water in a terrorist's face. Michael Schiavo wanted what remained of the insurance money. He made his case of greed and a liberal court agreed with him.

Like Jillian posted.......:cuckoo:

Like Jillian posted.......:cuckoo:
How would anyone (except Frist, with his the LONG DISTANCE diagnose) know if she was suffering from the IV's, needles and continued care?

The Fourteenth Amendment specifically prohibits the states from taking someones life without due process. What crime was Terry Schiavo guilty of that empowered the state to terminate her life? When was she convicted of it.

If any state tries to terminate someones life, the Federal Government has a responsibility under the United States Constitution to prevent it from happening without due process.

I know you think that anyone who is unhealthy or somehow "less" human should be killed. But the protection of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness has always been an American value. And it will continue to be so, regardless of much you complain.

There are plenty of things to complain about Santorum on, this sure as heck isn't one of them.

If this was a 14th amendment issue, the SCOTUS would have backed up the conservatives play.

Typical bigoted rants from the radical left. The decision to remove life support is a matter of the courts but it seems the left thinks the president has the power over life and death. These people are dangerous.

Conservative Pat Robertson suggested that one divorce a spouse who has Alzheimer's and remarry.

A better solution would be to require everyone to have an Advanced Directive in place so that your wishes are known to everyone prior to having to make these decisions. Then, certain things can be withheld based on your choosing.

Advance directives aren't the best solution as, believe it or not, they can be easily circumvented. The better solution is to appoint someone who knows you well as you DPOA for health matters.

Advanced directives are good so that people know your wishes, but not iron clad. Of course, you could get both.

I recommend reading Bill Colby on this matter.

I
The thing was, she wasn't "unplugged", she was systematically starved to death over a period of something like 15 days.

Ok, fair enough. But I have to ask...........

1) What would YOU have wanted if you were in her exact position? (vegetative state, liquidated brain, no hope for recovery)

2) Do you think it is the role of the Executive and Legislative Branches of the Federal Government to take decisions away from families and doctors? (Keep in mind this was already played out in court.)

If my brain was liquid, I wouldn't care one way or the other.

If I was in her exact position, I would be more concerned about my folks than my spouse.

The reality is, she was just waiting to die of sepsis, which isn't exactly a pleasant death if you've ever seen sepsis.

Schiavo Case: Santorum Unfit for Office of Presidency

Santorum is no conservative. Calling for federal intervention in this case went way beyond anything a leftist or populist would ever imagine doing.

Schiavo Autopsy Released

Schiavo Autopsy Released

Asked whether he had any regrets, Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.), who visited Schiavo at the hospice in her last days, responded, "None whatsoever." He added: "If a state court decides to take the life of someone, there should be a federal review."

Government involvement in the Terri Schiavo case - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Republican leaders in the House of Representatives, including Speaker Dennis Hastert of Illinois, Tom DeLay of Texas and Tom Davis of Virginia, opened a congressional inquiry of the House Government Reform Committee, which was to take place in Clearwater on March 25, and issued subpoenas for Terri and Michael Schiavo and several hospice workers
Republicans went way beyond a ny rational concern for a single human being.

and Santorum was a major player here. So much for government off our backs

"How To Murder Your Wife, With The Help Of The State And The Federal Government-No Matter How Many Times You Fail. ;)"

Yes You Can Too. If You fail the First time, and the Second time, do not lose Heart. What you need in your Pocket is a Sheriff and a Judge. There's no stopping you from taking her out, retiring on that insurance money in luxury, and Fucking over the In-Laws in the Process. Let the system work for you too! Just sent $99.99 to XXX-Your Wife POB 86 Grand Caman Island, Payable to Cash, and we will hook you up.

I know. But the point of " if she is hungry she should have asked" was just idiotic. I am not opposed to remove feeding tubes. I wouldn't want one in the first place.

But you know Schiavo would? You realize that supporting government intervention in this matter means your odds of being on life support against your wishes increases, right?

Typical bigoted rants from the radical left. The decision to remove life support is a matter of the courts but it seems the left thinks the president has the power over life and death. These people are dangerous.

This post is hilarious considering that the courts twice sided with Micheal Schiavo, which prompted President Bush to intervene.

You don't really know what the hell you are talking about do you?

But you know Schiavo would? You realize that supporting government intervention in this matter means your odds of being on life support against your wishes increases, right?
Again, would not the poking, prodding and "care" have continued her suffering, if in fact she was?

Forum List

Back