Scary Poll: 44% in poll OK limits on rights of Muslims

As I feel that we are too relaxed and fear PC too much in some areas or cases, we can also over react and get on a slippery slope which can also do great harm.

We must take steps to protect our citizens against violent radicals, no matter their origin.

However, all American citizens also need to be treated with the same respect, no matter of race, cultural background or religion.

Let's be honest, it is one hell of a tight rope to walk and no matter what the best end result is, we are still going to offend some and still trample on some rights. So we have to be willing to be flexible and always learning, as well as being vigilant and strong.

Tough situation, but, what is now the status quo is not working!

Mike

CaféAuLait;1733627 said:
Given this poll was done 6 almost 7 years ago ( your article is from 2004) and close to the events of 9-11, I can see why people would be irrational in their responses.

Not that I agree with this poll at ALL. I would like to see the poll itself to see what questions were asked.

Three years after 9/11. And considering recent events, I would say it's about the same now if not higher. My point is if this was done more than 5 years ago, what do you think it would be now?

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;1733627 said:
Given this poll was done 6 almost 7 years ago ( your article is from 2004) and close to the events of 9-11, I can see why people would be irrational in their responses.

Not that I agree with this poll at ALL. I would like to see the poll itself to see what questions were asked.

Three years after 9/11. And considering recent events, I would say it's about the same now if not higher. My point is if this was done more than 5 years ago, what do you think it would be now?

But you did not make any of those points in your OP. This poll is 6 years old and the article is from 2004. Why is resurrect it now? Again I do not agree with the poll-- I would like to see the poll questions and I would also like to see the demographics.

Who the hell cares? A poll is not going to change the law unless a democrat is in power, opps that is true right now.

As for profiling I say since EVERY SINGLE hijacker on 9/11 was a young Arab MALE we SHOULD profile YOUNG ARAB Males. Anyone remember who the shooter in Texas was?

When 90 year old Grandma's start blowing up planes or hijacking them, then we should profile them as well.

CaféAuLait;1733639 said:
But you did not make any of those points in your OP. This poll is 6 years old and the article is from 2004. Why is resurrect it now? Again I do not agree with the poll-- I would like to see the poll questions and I would also like to see the demographics.

I was sent this article today. It talks about the poll questions. As for the points being made in the OP, those were different from the ones I made in my post to you. In case people get confused, I'll change the OP.

And the subject matter is important now more than ever.

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;1733639 said:

I was sent this article today. It talks about the poll questions. As for the points being made in the OP, those were different from the ones I made in my post to you. In case people get confused, I'll change the OP.

Just like any poll people expect to see the poll questions as put to respondents-- not what a paper says. I would like to see the age, race political party etc. I also think that a poll conducted before 9-11 for contrast would be helpful too. As I said this poll was done a few short years after 9-11 we were in the thick of a war and OBL sending tapes and making terrorist threats to the US.

Daniel Pearl had just been beheaded for the world to see ground zero was still a mess.

It also says the poll was conducted in the fall, (what September) why do that with 9-11 (September 11) fresh in people’s minds? Like I said there may have been many influences for this poll to turn out that way. I’m sure if you did the same poll the day before Ft Hood massacre and the day after the results would be startlingly different.

If only feel good Lib-think kept us safe people wouldn't feel this way.

Fire can be used for many good things, but fire can cause a lot of damage. Are people irrational to fear that fire can harm them?

Maybe it would help if more Muslims, American or otherwise, condemned the acts of the extremists.

And before you get all Libber-than-thou at me, keep in mind I consistently defend Islam on this site. My point is that people aren't pulling this fear out of their asses, it comes from witnessing what Muslim terrorists have done and the lack of condemnation from the Muslim community. The fear, IMO, is not irrational. And if you're still thinking about going off on me, re-read this for the part where I said I agreed that rights should be suspended.

And what about all thos unconstitutional laws protecting churches? No liquor sales with so many feet of a church? Nudie bars are not allowed close to churches either in most places, etc...
Those are laws that are in violation of the constitution.

Please explain how those laws are unconstitutional.

Please keep in mind there are also laws about the proximity and hours of operation of arcades to schools. Those must also be unconstitutional.

Heaven forbid (oops, there I go again) a community have standards that they want enforced by law.

44% in poll OK limits on rights of Muslims - The Boston Globe

ITHACA, N.Y. -- Nearly half of all Americans surveyed said they think the US government should restrict the civil liberties of Muslim Americans, according to a nationwide poll.

The survey conducted by Cornell University also found that Republicans and people who described themselves as highly religious were more apt to support curtailing Muslims' civil liberties than Democrats or people who are less religious.

Researchers also found that respondents who paid more attention to television news were more likely to fear terrorist attacks and support limiting the rights of Muslim Americans.

The survey indicated that 44 percent of those surveyed said they favored at least some restrictions on the civil liberties of Muslim Americans. Forty-eight percent said liberties should not be restricted.

The survey indicated that 27 percent of the respondents said they supported requiring all Muslim Americans to register their home address with the federal government. Twenty-two percent said they favored racial profiling to identify potential terrorist threats. And 29 percent said they thought undercover agents should infiltrate Muslim civic and volunteer organizations to keep tabs on their activities and fund-raising.

According to the survey, 37 percent of respondents said they think a terrorist attack in the United States is likely within the next 12 months.

In a similar poll conducted by Cornell in November 2002, the figure was 90 percent.

So, I'm guessing since they're Muslims that their rights no longer apply to them? I have feeling that similar to the Japanese during WWII, we'll have internment camps being wanted next by some people.

This is very dangerous about how quickly people who don't think want to take Constitution rights away from others.

Disclaimer: Note for those so people don't get confused: The poll is from 2004.

Well your disclaimer makes this poll rather moot now. 2004 was the height of the Christofascist hysteria, when congress actually called a Saturday session just to put a tube in a veggie... it's now over, even though I suspect the pendulum is swinging back to the right next year.

In a similar poll conducted by Cornell in November 2002, the figure was 90 percent.
© Copyright 2006 Globe Newspaper Company.

you guys believe everything you read? no questions asked? Believe every poll some dumbass liberal university publishes??? no questions asked? talk about civil liberties,, universites like Columbia won't let a Republican enjoy free speech without rioting and storming the stage,, I didn't see you asswipes bitching about that.. No,, I didn't and you cheer your asses off if you could manage to shut talk radio and fox news up.. so cry us a fucking river whydonchya?

The poll was done by a university, so it's liberally biased. Queue the non sequitors, nonsensical Republican talking points, a hint of anger, and you got yourself a standard-procedure WillowTree hackjob.

You bore.

Last edited:
Who the hell cares? A poll is not going to change the law unless a democrat is in power, opps that is true right now.

As for profiling I say since EVERY SINGLE hijacker on 9/11 was a young Arab MALE we SHOULD profile YOUNG ARAB Males. Anyone remember who the shooter in Texas was?

When 90 year old Grandma's start blowing up planes or hijacking them, then we should profile them as well.

So are you saying we should limit the constitutional rights and liberties granted to others when they are Muslims?

So are you saying we should limit the constitutional rights and liberties granted to others when they are Muslims?

Does my post say that? Didn't think so.

I would oppose ANY restrictions on religion. Islam falls into that category.

But then, I also oppose any laws that limit religion in all area's of our society. You know, places like schools, town squares, mountain monuments....things of that nature.

Also, anyone who is in a suspect group while we are at war with that group should be permitted their Constitutional rights. However, if they act in a manner that draws suspicion to them, they need to be investigated and a determination needs to be made as to their intent.

Political correctness MUST die a horrible death or the citizens of the United States will yet again be doing the dying.

Exactly what rights are they talking about taking away. Id like to know specifics.

Are you saying we shouldn't keep American citizens safe???

See how lame that comes off?

Does my post say that? Didn't think so.

It was just that you seemed to be defending the fact that so many people felt that way according to the poll. If I misinterpreted, I apologize.

What a frightening poll.....

dejas vous

Japenese internment camps and yellow stars....:(

I wonder what they would say if they were the targeted group?

There are always targeted groups. In mediaeval Europe Jews and and other non-Christians were forced to wear specific forms of dress which marked them out.

2004?

Let me get my Delorean so i can check on this...

2710.jpg

Nope, didn't give a fuck about it back then either.

44% in poll OK limits on rights of Muslims - The Boston Globe

ITHACA, N.Y. -- Nearly half of all Americans surveyed said they think the US government should restrict the civil liberties of Muslim Americans, according to a nationwide poll.

The survey conducted by Cornell University also found that Republicans and people who described themselves as highly religious were more apt to support curtailing Muslims' civil liberties than Democrats or people who are less religious.

Researchers also found that respondents who paid more attention to television news were more likely to fear terrorist attacks and support limiting the rights of Muslim Americans.

The survey indicated that 44 percent of those surveyed said they favored at least some restrictions on the civil liberties of Muslim Americans. Forty-eight percent said liberties should not be restricted.

The survey indicated that 27 percent of the respondents said they supported requiring all Muslim Americans to register their home address with the federal government. Twenty-two percent said they favored racial profiling to identify potential terrorist threats. And 29 percent said they thought undercover agents should infiltrate Muslim civic and volunteer organizations to keep tabs on their activities and fund-raising.

According to the survey, 37 percent of respondents said they think a terrorist attack in the United States is likely within the next 12 months.

So, I'm guessing since they're Muslims that their rights no longer apply to them? I have feeling that similar to the Japanese during WWII, we'll have internment camps being wanted next by some people.

This is very dangerous about how quickly people who don't think want to take Constitution rights away from others.

Disclaimer: Note for those so people don't get confused: The poll is from 2004.

The most interesting words in your post: "So, I'm guessing..." Yes, you are. You assume facts not in evidence - not for the first time.

Forum List

Back