Scary Poll: 44% in poll OK limits on rights of Muslims

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
44% in poll OK limits on rights of Muslims - The Boston Globe

ITHACA, N.Y. -- Nearly half of all Americans surveyed said they think the US government should restrict the civil liberties of Muslim Americans, according to a nationwide poll.

The survey conducted by Cornell University also found that Republicans and people who described themselves as highly religious were more apt to support curtailing Muslims' civil liberties than Democrats or people who are less religious.

Researchers also found that respondents who paid more attention to television news were more likely to fear terrorist attacks and support limiting the rights of Muslim Americans.

The survey indicated that 44 percent of those surveyed said they favored at least some restrictions on the civil liberties of Muslim Americans. Forty-eight percent said liberties should not be restricted.

The survey indicated that 27 percent of the respondents said they supported requiring all Muslim Americans to register their home address with the federal government. Twenty-two percent said they favored racial profiling to identify potential terrorist threats. And 29 percent said they thought undercover agents should infiltrate Muslim civic and volunteer organizations to keep tabs on their activities and fund-raising.

According to the survey, 37 percent of respondents said they think a terrorist attack in the United States is likely within the next 12 months.

In a similar poll conducted by Cornell in November 2002, the figure was 90 percent.

So, I'm guessing since they're Muslims that their rights no longer apply to them? I have feeling that similar to the Japanese during WWII, we'll have internment camps being wanted next by some people.

This is very dangerous about how quickly people who don't think want to take Constitution rights away from others.

Disclaimer: Note for those so people don't get confused: The poll is from 2004.

Last edited:
My other question is why people are so willingly to practically repeat history. Knowing full well how it didn't turn out well the first time.

I guess there's hope. The usual right wing trolls have not posted their usual hate and fear - maybe deep down in their soul they know ... silly of me, of course not, they only care about themselves.

I guess there's hope. The usual right wing trolls have not posted their usual hate and fear - maybe deep down in their soul they know ... silly of me, of course not, they only care about themselves.

It would be highly hypocritical to talk about defending the Constitution from things like Health Care and then demanding that a group of people's rights be taken away in the same breath.

Apparently 44% of the polling data has forgotten about that troublesome document that ensures religious freedom for all. If they want to limit the rights of Muslims Americans than I want to propose banning the Christmas tree and the Star of David.

Apparently 44% of the polling data has forgotten about that troublesome document that ensures religious freedom for all. If they want to limit the rights of Muslims Americans than I want to propose banning the Christmas tree and the Star of David.

Naah just do away with the tax exempt status of churches.

That is in no way against the constitution.

Naah just do away with the tax exempt status of churches.

That is in no way against the constitution.

Amen to that. Then the Catholic Church and the evangelicals won't need to be hypocrites by talking tax cuts and engaging in political discourse. Well, they'll continue the hypocrisy but with a little less change in their robes.

And what about all thos unconstitutional laws protecting churches? No liquor sales with so many feet of a church? Nudie bars are not allowed close to churches either in most places, etc...
Those are laws that are in violation of the constitution.

Last edited:
Any bets on the opinions of The rabbi, Ghook and Davids on this?

And what about all thos unconstitutional laws protecting churches? No liquor sales with so many feet of a church? Nudie bars are not allowed close to churches either in most places, etc...

I'm responding to the OP, can you understand that? I think my position was made clear.

I'm responding to the OP, can you understand that? I think my position was made clear.

Yea and I respect your position. You are correct. Since the constitutionality of it was brought up I was just point out some laws in support of religion that are in violation of the constitution.

Last edited:
What a frightening poll.....

dejas vous

Japenese internment camps and yellow stars....:(

I wonder what they would say if they were the targeted group?

44% in poll OK limits on rights of Muslims - The Boston Globe

ITHACA, N.Y. -- Nearly half of all Americans surveyed said they think the US government should restrict the civil liberties of Muslim Americans, according to a nationwide poll.

The survey conducted by Cornell University also found that Republicans and people who described themselves as highly religious were more apt to support curtailing Muslims' civil liberties than Democrats or people who are less religious.

Researchers also found that respondents who paid more attention to television news were more likely to fear terrorist attacks and support limiting the rights of Muslim Americans.

The survey indicated that 44 percent of those surveyed said they favored at least some restrictions on the civil liberties of Muslim Americans. Forty-eight percent said liberties should not be restricted.

The survey indicated that 27 percent of the respondents said they supported requiring all Muslim Americans to register their home address with the federal government. Twenty-two percent said they favored racial profiling to identify potential terrorist threats. And 29 percent said they thought undercover agents should infiltrate Muslim civic and volunteer organizations to keep tabs on their activities and fund-raising.

According to the survey, 37 percent of respondents said they think a terrorist attack in the United States is likely within the next 12 months.

In a similar poll conducted by Cornell in November 2002, the figure was 90 percent.

So, I'm guessing since they're Muslims that their rights no longer apply to them? I have feeling that similar to the Japanese during WWII, we'll have internment camps being wanted next by some people.

This is very dangerous about how quickly people who don't think want to take Constitution rights away from others.

Given this poll was done 6 almost 7 years ago ( your article is from 2004) and close to the events of 9-11, I can see why people would be irrational in their responses.

Not that I agree with this poll at ALL. I would like to see the poll itself to see what questions were asked.

© Copyright 2006 Globe Newspaper Company.

you guys believe everything you read? no questions asked? Believe every poll some dumbass liberal university publishes??? no questions asked? talk about civil liberties,, universites like Columbia won't let a Republican enjoy free speech without rioting and storming the stage,, I didn't see you asswipes bitching about that.. No,, I didn't and you cheer your asses off if you could manage to shut talk radio and fox news up.. so cry us a fucking river whydonchya?

Forum List

Back