Scariest Movie Ever...

Shogun Wrote:
I really didn't find Tim Curry all that convincing in that role. It was the first lengthy book I picked up as a kid and the series just didn't do it for me. And i'm a fan of Curry's work.

Maybe is matters which you saw/read first? I saw the movie first as a 11-12 year old and found him terrifying. When I read the book as a teen I saw Pennywise as Tim Curry's version.

Maybe you created something more terrifying in your brain and Curry just couldn't do it justice?

I actually own "The Zombie Survival Guide" which is by the same author. It sits on my coffee table during the Halloween season along with "How to Survive a Horror Movie."
"The Zombie Survival Guide" is a lot of fun - and gives "real-life" advice on how to survive when the zombies attack!

Last edited:
Maybe is matters which you saw/read first? I saw the movie first as a 11-12 year old and found him terrifying. When I read the book as a teen I saw Pennywise as Tim Curry's version.

Maybe you created something more terrifying in your brain and Curry just couldn't do it justice?

It sounds like you an I had the same Pennywise experience.

I was just talking with my husband...who suggested that sometimes its easier to talk about the scariest SCENES in a movie, rather than the movie as a whole.

His example was that while "The Exorcist" didn't terrify him...the scene where the possessed girl crab-walked backwards down the stairs with supernatural speed scared the shit out of him..."It was just unnatural and horrifying..."

So if you can't think of a whole movie...can you think of a particular scene? Or if you have a movie...was their any scene that totally did it for you?

The Exorcist...I forget how scared I was when I first saw it. I made my kids watch it too young though....ya know, the "Your Mother Sews Socks in Hell" (at least that's what I told them the devil said lol) part...I completely forgot the language.

Turn of the Screw...in all it's different forms was great. It's been remade many times and I guess Ghost stories will always be my favorite.

Check out last years "The Orphanage"...it's in subtitles but you forget in about 2 minutes that you're reading.....it's excellent!

the old one. Slow moving zombies used to scare the absolute shit out of me. Now i'm reading World War Z. Good read for October.

I try to get a horror dvd each Halloween and am stuck between the original Hellraiser, Dawn of the Dead (original) and Pumpkinhead.

28 days later...the introduction of the fast moving zombie...(okay i am not gonna fuss over the zombie factor..go to the zombie boards for that)

white zombie...the freaks..both b/w classics....the freaks is one of the weirdest movies..and will shock and scare ya.

i rank pumpkinhead right up there too. excellent movie. the sequels sucked.

i am hard core on horror movies...go back to the the "thriller" days...yes i am older than dirt...but the one movie that totally freaked me...

the hitcher...the orginal one.

The one movie I won't ever watch again is " Amityville Horror" for what ever reason that one scared me on a personal level. It wasn't even that well made of a movie, but the story scared the shit out of me. I have watched other movies with similar themes with no problem.

I don't like scary movies much, because I get too scared...he he...but this movie really scared me, it might not scare you guys.

The Believers (1987) - Overview - MSN Movies

A police psychologist and his school-age son become embroiled in the machinations of a mysterious cult religion in this thriller from director John Schlesinger. After his wife is electrocuted in a freak accident, Dr. Cal Jamison (Martin Sheen) and his son, Chris (Harley Cross), move back to Manhattan, where Cal went to school. When not spending time with his son and surrogate extended family -- husband-and-wife anthropologists Kate (Elizabeth Wilson) and Dennis Maslow (Lee Richardson) -- Cal settles into his new job and romances his landlady, Jessica Halliday (Helen Shaver). Soon, though, a series of brutal murders of young children begins to take over Cal's life. Through the ravings of policeman Tom Lopez (Jimmy Smits), who believes the killers have supernatural power over him after stealing his badge, Cal learns of Santeria, a voodoo-like Latin American sect that mixes elements of Christianity and pagan mysticism. Although the religion turns out to have ties to some of the richest men in the city and even Cal's well-meaning maid seems to be a practitioner, he can't get any straight answers as to whether the cult is responsible for the murders. But after a sinister African shaman (Malick Bowens) places a curse on Jessica, Cal finally begins to understand the danger that faces him -- and his son. The Believers was very loosely adapted from Nicholas Conde's 1982 novel The Religion. ~ Brian J. Dillard, All Movie Guide

I don't like scary movies much, because I get too scared...he he...but this movie really scared me, it might not scare you guys.

The Believers (1987) - Overview - MSN Movies

A police psychologist and his school-age son become embroiled in the machinations of a mysterious cult religion in this thriller from director John Schlesinger. After his wife is electrocuted in a freak accident, Dr. Cal Jamison (Martin Sheen) and his son, Chris (Harley Cross), move back to Manhattan, where Cal went to school. When not spending time with his son and surrogate extended family -- husband-and-wife anthropologists Kate (Elizabeth Wilson) and Dennis Maslow (Lee Richardson) -- Cal settles into his new job and romances his landlady, Jessica Halliday (Helen Shaver). Soon, though, a series of brutal murders of young children begins to take over Cal's life. Through the ravings of policeman Tom Lopez (Jimmy Smits), who believes the killers have supernatural power over him after stealing his badge, Cal learns of Santeria, a voodoo-like Latin American sect that mixes elements of Christianity and pagan mysticism. Although the religion turns out to have ties to some of the richest men in the city and even Cal's well-meaning maid seems to be a practitioner, he can't get any straight answers as to whether the cult is responsible for the murders. But after a sinister African shaman (Malick Bowens) places a curse on Jessica, Cal finally begins to understand the danger that faces him -- and his son. The Believers was very loosely adapted from Nicholas Conde's 1982 novel The Religion. ~ Brian J. Dillard, All Movie Guide

wow, I never saw that one and I'm going to rent it! Thanks!

I'm pretty wimpy when it comes to scary movies, and that movie is old so it might not scare you like it did me, ha ha

Phantasm was the most terrifying movie I ever saw. I was 13 and totally mortified I would end up smooched in a barrel.

Second would be the original The Fog. The remake got two thumbs way down but The Myst was pretty good.

Jeepers Creepers 1 was frightening. There is just something bone chilling about...well I can't say what. I don't want to spoil it for you.

It's not really horror but I watched Donnie Darko this week and it was fantastic. Best movie I've seen this year. It is both uplifting and tragic, both dark and wonderful. I wouldn,t let kids under 17 watch it before you have screened it first and IMO I would skip this one if you suffer from depression or if you include any plotlines based on the Marvel Universe as deep, intricate, or classics.

I forgot Dark Night of the Scarecrow from 1981. It was made for TV. Still scary stuff tho.

Last edited:
American Werewolf wasn't scary. It was funny!
The Exorcist, by far.
Next, the Sixth Sense.

i hear what you are sayin.. but as a kid that movie scared the shit out of me.

sixth sense?

sixth sense is the one with bruce willis and the kid who can see or hear the dead...of course the twist is ...the bruce willis role..the guy is dead...really dull movie...but its that ring guy and all....he has a cult like following

Cremation of Care Bohemian Grove ritual part 1

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_PAqT2JZOw&feature=related]YouTube - Alex Jones - Secrets in Bohemian Grove[/ame]

Ralph Nader: Bohemian Grove

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZMlIo0rQK0&feature=related[/ame]

Nixon Tape Discusses Homosexuals at Bohemian Grove

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPb-PN9F2Pc&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited:

Forum List

Back