Scariest Movie Ever...

Gem

Rookie
Aug 11, 2004
Just in time for Halloween...I'm interested to see what movies have scared the people on the board.

So what films did it for you? Did Jaws keep you out of the water? Did The Exorcist make you afraid to sleep? Did Friday the 13th make you terrified that you would fall when running away from a knife-wielding undead psychopath who never moves faster than a slow shuffle and for some unknown reason you would be unable to do anything other than crawl slowly away from him even though both of your legs were fine? :tongue:

What movies have scared the sh*t out of you?

I don't know if you consider "Silence of the Lambs" a horror movie. But even after seeing it (after I had read the book 3 times) it still gave me nightmares! I'm into more psychological horror type things, not the slasher flicks.

I remember seeing "The Birds" on tv as a kid and it scaring me to death, Psycho too.

• Banned
I would definitely consider "Silence of the Lambs" scary. Pretty much if it scared you...it counts. The scene in the basement at the end of the movie where Clarice is flailing around in the dark as Buffalo Bill waves his hand in front of her face is horrifying to me.

Shogun, which Dawn of the Dead?

the old one. Slow moving zombies used to scare the absolute shit out of me. Now i'm reading World War Z. Good read for October.

I try to get a horror dvd each Halloween and am stuck between the original Hellraiser, Dawn of the Dead (original) and Pumpkinhead.

I thought the remake of Dawn of the Dead was really great actually. Lots of very scary moments - I thought the moment where the little girl kills the main character's husband who then comes after her is very freaky.

But there was a moment in the original Night of the Living Dead where one of the slow moving, lumbering zombies lurches at the heroine that totally haunted me for weeks after I saw it for the first time...so I understand being freaked out by the slow zombies as well!

the old one. Slow moving zombies used to scare the absolute shit out of me. Now i'm reading World War Z. Good read for October.

I try to get a horror dvd each Halloween and am stuck between the original Hellraiser, Dawn of the Dead (original) and Pumpkinhead.

Some days I wish slow moving zombies would come wondering into my neighborhood so I could grab a bat an go ballistic on them.

I still wont swim in the open ocean ...

Even at the beach I pretty much avoid the water ...

I lifeguarded all throughout high school at a country club that once a summer would set up a movie screen on the deck at the deep end of the pool...and everyone could float on rafts in the deep end and watch Jaws...it was hysterical how many people would end up getting out...

(and more than once the lifeguards rock-paper-scissored who would have to dive into the dark water to save whoever needed it! never when someone was actually drowning, of course!)

Tim Curry's Pennywise is one of the most terrifying things on the planet, lol.

yea, the newer Dawn wasn't horrible. I think it eliminated some of the social commentary that romero added to his trilogy but, lets face it, zombies that can run could probably catch my tobacco smoking ass and thats pretty scary. I think it's interesting how old the original Dead movie is. all black and white. A black man as a protagonist? good stuff. But, again, Dawn really fucked my young world up.

Another good scary movie is The Thing. Try looking at your dog the same way after watching that movie.

Tim Curry's Pennywise is one of the most terrifying things on the planet, lol.

For real!

Sewer drains creeped me out for a while.

The book is definitely one of King's best BTW ... I've read it a few times now.

The Thing is one that I never saw...I may have to rent it this year.

I LOVE scary movies (obviously)...in college I had a professor that let me write an entire thesis paper discussing how horror stories had changed from entertaining stories told to adults to social commentary and tales of urban legend for young people...(ah liberal arts education). I got to research slasher films and horror movies...and read a lot of good old horror like "Turn of the Screw."

I have a lot of respect for the genre...and its fun to talk about!

I really didn't find Tim Curry all that convincing in that role. It was the first lengthy book I picked up as a kid and the series just didn't do it for me. And i'm a fan of Curry's work.

Forum List

Back