SC mom killed kids, dumped car in river

Sheriff: SC mom killed kids, dumped car in river - CenturyLink

This woman's punishment will never be severe enough to fit her crime.

You could move her into an all Mexican neighborhood, but that would really be "cruel and unusual punishment". Just force her to listen to the 24/7 all mariachi station. That should just drive her out of her mind.:(
Point 1: this isn't about your hated Mexicans. Point 2: she is obviously out of her mind. Point 3: you cannot diagnose anyone as out of their minds as you already are out of your mind.

Hey look! A taco stand!

Sheriff: SC mom killed kids, dumped car in river - CenturyLink

This woman's punishment will never be severe enough to fit her crime.

You could move her into an all Mexican neighborhood, but that would really be "cruel and unusual punishment". Just force her to listen to the 24/7 all mariachi station. That should just drive her out of her mind.:(
Point 1: this isn't about your hated Mexicans. Point 2: she is obviously out of her mind. Point 3: you cannot diagnose anyone as out of their minds as you already are out of your mind.

Hey look! A taco stand!

This is about punishing a criminal. How about make her smell the armpits of Mexicans as they come across the desert?

Abortion has lessened the value of life so much that something like this doesn't seem like an outrageous solution to the mother sometimes.

andrea yates

fundamentalist conservative republican christian

kills her 5 children

somehow I imagine nonelitist will blame that on liberals

----------------

those 3 white conservative christians from alabama who blew up a black church killing 3 little black girls...

all the fault of liberals?

---------

when loonystarlogic goes home and beats his wife and kids because he can't kill liberals....

is that the fault of liberals, too?

----------

is abortion to blame for ann coulter wishing everyone at the new york times was killed by terrorists?

is abortion to blame for glenn beck wanting to kill michael moore?

tell me, nonelitist...
who do you want to kill because of abortion?

Abortion has lessened the value of life so much that something like this doesn't seem like an outrageous solution to the mother sometimes.

andrea yates

kills her 5 children

----------------

those 3 white conservative christians from alabama who blew up a black church killing 3 little black girls...

---------

when loonystarlogic goes home and beats his wife and kids because he can't kill liberals....

----------

is abortion to blame for ann coulter wishing everyone at the new york times was killed by terrorists?

tell me, nonelitist...
I must spread some reputation around before giving it to rikules again. Damn it! Good points.

[]We're really secret Mexicans, ya know? Like Obama's a secret Muslim. We're moving in next to you! Arrrrrriba!

Here we go! More stinky fumes from the crap they call food. And all the dogs in the neighborhood are missing.

horrible crime....children die at the hands of their caregivers daily in this country

But the punishment isn't severe enough to deter them from crime is the problem.

If the crux of the matter is mental illness on her part - there is no deterance because there is not rational mind t deter.

Yes, she too wanted to be rid of her kids. They can make all the excuses to justify their actions but that's all they are is excuses. Mental ticket is put in place by lawyers.

Say what you will, but mentally healthy people would find it just about impossible, other than life or death situations, to kill another person - especially their own children. You KNOW she had to have mental issues to literally do what she did - even in my blindest rage would I even CONSIDER something like that. Many people are desperate, but the majority of "desperate" people do NOT kill their children.

andrea yates

kills her 5 children

----------------

---------

----------

tell me, nonelitist...

So this lady killed her kids because they were liberal? The sad part is, you thought you were making a point. Good news, your probably only slightly retarded.

horrible crime....children die at the hands of their caregivers daily in this country

If the crux of the matter is mental illness on her part - there is no deterance because there is not rational mind t deter.

Coyote, what evidence is there that this POS is mentally ill? I gave plenty of reasons to believe she's just an evil twatwaffle. Where are your counterpoints?

I am tired of people assuming that if an act is evil enough, the doer must be crazy. Psychosis that leads a sufferer to harm anyone but themselves is extremely rare and should be the very last thing we assume was the motive.

Coyote, what evidence is there that this POS is mentally ill? I gave plenty of reasons to believe she's just an evil twatwaffle. Where are your counterpoints?

I am tired of people assuming that if an act is evil enough, the doer must be crazy. Psychosis that leads a sufferer to harm anyone but themselves is extremely rare and should be the very last thing we assume was the motive.

True. I was making a different argument about that earlier in the thread, there's no reason to believe it's the case here. Especially when she tried to cover it up. Sounds way too much like the Smith case. Might even be a kind of copycat. Sick, twisted, but it doesn't mean she's not responsible for what she did.

My "evidence" is just that: at this point there is no evidence in any direction because there is precious little information.

Even evil twatwaffle's can be mentally ill - doesn't mean there should be no penalty or anything, for her actions but if she - or anyone committing similar crimes - is mentally ill, then I would question any value of "deterrence".

I'm not making any assumptions - I'm saying we need more information.

Psychosis is not the only form of mental illness and yes - most people who suffer from mental illness' are not a danger to anyone - I totally agree. But that doesn't mean that those who are a danger aren't mentally ill.

When a particularly horrendous and sensational crime occurs - it is very rare, but played up in the media out of proportion to how often it actually occurs precisely because of the horrific nature of it. Untreated brain diseases may or may not play a part in it. It shouldn't be ignored in the rush to condemnation. Part of the problem with these diseases is they ain't "pretty" - they don't have any cute "poster kids", they are messy to treat, often lifelong, often frustrating at times, and it's suffereres aren't always "nice" people.

One of the particularly difficult aspects of this is determining whether the person has the ability know right from wrong because that determines what sort of penalty should be applied (execution or locked up in a hospital or jail for life). Deterrence only works if the person is able to control his impulses and recognize right from wrong.

NPR recently had an interesting series on genetics and pyscophathic tendancies. Both psycopath and sociopath get overused as terms, but they actually mean a condition with some very specific deficits in empathy, conscience and impulse control. That could be the case with this woman. Other high-profile cases have included women with severe post-partum depression and/or psychosis murdering their babies - something that often doesn't come out in the news until after the sensationalism of "murdering mother" is splashed all over. I'm not by any means saying this is the case with this woman. But mental illness shouldn't be automatically discounted either.

I feel sorry for her family, in much the same way as I feel sorry for the VA Tech shooters family. They will suffer for this too.

One article I read seemed to be painting this murderess into some sort of victim of bad economic times, driven by desperation.

There are no economic circumstances that justify killing a child. None. I don't care how proud a person is or what their political agenda, you suck it up and do what you have to do to feed, house, clothe and educate your kids, whatever that means. Period. You don't fucking kill them.

The only possible justification is severe mental illness, IMO. But then she shouldn't have been in charge of little ones in the first place if it's not under control.

Parents are not tested for mental stability.
That much is quite obvious.

Just, in the interest of fairness, I don't think anything should be summarily discounted and it's easy to do so in crimes against defenseless children, when the perpetrator is unattractive and difficult to empathize with or feel any pity for - unlike the children she murdered.

Here's an excerpt from one article:
Is that something we can credit to postpartum depression?

Yes, but postpartum depression is different from postpartum psychosis. With postpartum depression, women do not kill their children unless they're having depression with a psychotic episode. (Comment on this story.)

By definition, women are at risk for a postpartum disorder up to the first 12 months after childbirth. However, because many of these conditions go under- or untreated, they can be vulnerable for years. I'm not saying that I can tell that she [Duley] had postpartum psychosis because she had a one- and two-year-old, but I would say that she was clearly in a confused and desperate state of mind.

In Duley's case, it seems like she had gone to pretty great lengths to cover up what she had allegedly done. How do you determine whether or not psychosis is a factor in a case like this?

I think when the mother attempts a cover-up, people tend to believe that psychosis is not a part of it, but again, what we see is that women [suffering from postpartum psychosis] go in and out of psychotic thinking. When they come to, they're really horrified.

Some women, like Duley, who are charged with killing their children do not have prior criminal records. What is the right thing to do with them? Do we send them to jail?

The first thing to do is evaluate the women within a short time after the incident occurred by a licensed mental health practitioner who is trained to do assessments of people. You must make a determination of their mental health status. Then, I think based on that assessment, the woman needs to get treatment for any existing mental health problems. Once she is recovered, she is to be held accountable for what has happened. If it's determined that she was in her right mind, that she was in possession of her mental faculties, that this was premeditated, then you need to take that information into account.

I think in too many of these cases, women aren't evaluated at all or [investigators] wait for weeks or months, so the women have started on medicine. Of course, they're thinking clearly by then. You have to make a medical assessment at or near after the incident occurs so you can determine to what degree she's going to be held accountable.

Read more: The Shaquan Duley Murder Case: Why Moms Snap - TIME

One article I read seemed to be painting this murderess into some sort of victim of bad economic times, driven by desperation.

There are no economic circumstances that justify killing a child. None. I don't care how proud a person is or what their political agenda, you suck it up and do what you have to do to feed, house, clothe and educate your kids, whatever that means. Period. You don't fucking kill them.

The only possible justification is severe mental illness, IMO. But then she shouldn't have been in charge of little ones in the first place if it's not under control.

Parents are not tested for mental stability.
That much is quite obvious.

I've always been a strong proponent of spay/neuter....

Forum List

Back