Say, 2018 looks like a looming disaster for Senate Democrats

easyt65

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2015
Sabato: Say, 2018 looks like a looming disaster for Senate Democrats

"Democrats blew a golden opportunity to win back control of the Senate in 2016. Republicans defended 23 seats against the Democrats’ 13, and were widely expected to suffer significant losses — more than the four seats necessary to reduce the Senate to a tie. Instead, the GOP held on in Florida, Pennsylvania, and handily won a Wisconsin race that almost everyone expected Russ Feingold to win by a large margin. If the GOP wins the run-off race in Louisiana as expected, they’ll have a 52-48 majority for the next two years — and maybe wider, if Heidi Heitkamp gets a position in the Donald Trump administration.

By 2019, that might become a filibuster-proof majority, warns Larry Sabato. Rather than the 10-seat advantage they had in 2016, Democrats will have a seventeen-seat disadvantage. Furthermore, many of those races will be in states won by Republicans in November.

It’s entirely possible that Republicans could end up with a 62-63 seat majority, which would give them carte blanche on policy for the final two years of Trump’s first term. It’s also possible that some of this potential might dissipate as a reaction to Trump’s governance, as frequently happens in midterm elections. That would require Democrats to have learned the lessons of why they lost so badly in 2016 — and so far, as Salena Zito explains, they’re still in deep denial.

They have less than two years to figure that out. So far, though, all they’ve done is kept their party’s leadership in the same hands that lost four straight election cycles and turned Democrats into that “coastal elitist club.” That portends yet another major electoral disaster for Democrats. And if Republicans and Trump actually deliver on their promises in 2017-18, it could be even worse than it looks for those coastal elites."

Sabato: Say, 2018 looks like a looming disaster for Senate Democrats - Hot Air

Last edited by a moderator:
You should be jumping for joy with the bleak future of the Democratic Party in 2018 and 2020. I personally seeing Democrats losing big in 2018 and then running someone like Warren causing a second term of Trump because let be factual they never learn.

Democrats need to embrace their Blue Dog segment of their political party ( very few are left ) and stop with this march to Trotskyism...

Democrats have gotten lazy. When Obama won they thought the fight for liberties were over. They thought the country was progressing. But it's obvious we still have a lot of backwards conservative mofos in this country.

Democrats needed to lose to get off of their behinds. They have two years to start working for the people again and stop working for cooperations.

You should be jumping for joy with the bleak future of the Democratic Party in 2018 and 2020. I personally seeing Democrats losing big in 2018 and then running someone like Warren causing a second term of Trump because let be factual they never learn.

Democrats need to embrace their Blue Dog segment of their political party ( very few are left ) and stop with this march to Trotskyism...

If Warren runs , Trump will definitely be a one term president.

You really think Warren would win!?!

I am willing to state right now if Warren is the Democratic choice in 2020 then enjoy the second term of Trump!

Only ignorant Trots would believe Warren would win a National Election!

Didn't learn the first time, huh?

I really hope you don't honestly believe this.

Warren is just a glorified Hillary Clinton.

Warren is nothing like Hilary. People actually like Warren. She also doesn't have the issues Hilary.

I wish Warren had run this year.

Warren is nothing like Hilary. People actually like Warren. She also doesn't have the issues Hilary.

No.

Warren is liked among Trots like you but in the same states Clinton lost this General Election Warren would lose far more voters!

Hell I doubt Warren could carry Illinois!

So again if Warren is the choice enjoy another term of Trump lunacy!

Still, didn't learn the first time.

So if not Warren, then who do you think should on the democratic ticket. Anyone democrats choose you will not like. They could choose Ghandi and you would still say bad choice.

Warren is too far left for a good portion of the party, and Warren can't pretend to be a centrist like Hillary did.

No.

Warren is liked among Trots like you but in the same states Clinton lost this General Election Warren would lose far more voters!

Warren is a true progressive unlike Hilary. She actually wants to take on Wall Street unlike most democrats and repibclians.

So if not Warren, then who do you think should on the democratic ticket. Anyone democrats choose you will not like. They could choose Ghandi and you would still say bad choice.
So, you want a non-citizen that is dead for president. Telling indeed! Keep this line of thought up. There won't be another dim in 50 years.

No.

Warren is a true progressive unlike Hilary. She actually wants to take on Wall Street unlike most democrats and repibclians.

Again, she will not even gain votes in states that Clinton lost in, so enjoy the second term of Trump lunacy if Warren is your choice.

Trots never learn!

Democrats have gotten lazy. When Obama won they thought the fight for liberties were over. They thought the country was progressing. But it's obvious we still have a lot of backwards conservative mofos in this country.

Democrats needed to lose to get off of their behinds. They have two years to start working for the people again and stop working for cooperations.
There was no way democrats were going to overcome Obamas regression of liberties....and as conservatives restore them in the coming years, democrat fascists will be in deep trouble....

So, you want a non-citizen that is dead for president. Telling indeed! Keep this line of thought up. There won't be another dim in 50 years.

It was a joke. My point was they could choose a saint and you'd still say bad choice because they are democrat.

Sabato: Say, 2018 looks like a looming disaster for Senate Democrats

"Democrats blew a golden opportunity to win back control of the Senate in 2016. Republicans defended 23 seats against the Democrats’ 13, and were widely expected to suffer significant losses — more than the four seats necessary to reduce the Senate to a tie. Instead, the GOP held on in Florida, Pennsylvania, and handily won a Wisconsin race that almost everyone expected Russ Feingold to win by a large margin. If the GOP wins the run-off race in Louisiana as expected, they’ll have a 52-48 majority for the next two years — and maybe wider, if Heidi Heitkamp gets a position in the Donald Trump administration.

By 2019, that might become a filibuster-proof majority, warns Larry Sabato. Rather than the 10-seat advantage they had in 2016, Democrats will have a seventeen-seat disadvantage. Furthermore, many of those races will be in states won by Republicans in November.

It’s entirely possible that Republicans could end up with a 62-63 seat majority, which would give them carte blanche on policy for the final two years of Trump’s first term. It’s also possible that some of this potential might dissipate as a reaction to Trump’s governance, as frequently happens in midterm elections. That would require Democrats to have learned the lessons of why they lost so badly in 2016 — and so far, as Salena Zito explains, they’re still in deep denial.

They have less than two years to figure that out. So far, though, all they’ve done is kept their party’s leadership in the same hands that lost four straight election cycles and turned Democrats into that “coastal elitist club.” That portends yet another major electoral disaster for Democrats. And if Republicans and Trump actually deliver on their promises in 2017-18, it could be even worse than it looks for those coastal elites."

Sabato: Say, 2018 looks like a looming disaster for Senate Democrats - Hot Air

Trump needs to look at that as his immediate goal post.

Win the mid terms. Have a complaint Congress.

Sanders would be your best bet at this point in time(and it is entirely possibly that he will be dead or retired by 2020), but Jim Webb would be the best pick overall.

Democrats have dug themselves in a ditch with white people, and I doubt they will do anything but double down on stupid until they are less popular than the Whigs currently are.

Forum List

Back