Savings come slowly for hybrid, electric car owners

Oddly enough, one would think that the conservative members of the board would be all for anything that promises more individual freedom, and national independence from foreign energy sources. Could it be they really don't mean their talking points?
Could it be that you're not very bright?

We want energy independence. The left refuses to let it happen.

If you're thinking about buying a fuel-efficient hybrid, electric or otherwise eco-friendly vehicle as a way to save money over time, do your homework — or be prepared to wait.

Buyers who choose Nissan's all-electric Leaf ($28,421) over its approximate gas-powered equivalent, Nissan's Versa ($18,640), will likely wait nearly 9 years until they break even, according to a new report by The New York Times that examines the cost of fuel efficiency.

For drivers of the Chevrolet Volt ($31,767), the wait is even longer— 26.6 years.​

Any one who buys a Nissan is not too bright anyway.

Those figures will change with $5 gas though.
What's wrong with Nissan?

And, should the economy significantly improve, and we add a lot more funding to NASA, which would be a very good thing, they will once more scream, puke, and whine about the waste of shooting money into space.
Wrong. Read the space exploration threads. The vast majority of conservatives are for it.

The vast majority of the left is against it.

No voters to pander to in space, it seems.

How do one of those electric cars work in a cold wintry place where it can get damn cold. What happens when it's -20° F and snowing and you've been stuck in traffic for 3 hours. Will the heater continue to keep me toasty warm and the windows clear? What happens if it drops to -30° F and it's snowing and blowing like hell and we're stuck in traffic with thousands of other electric cars for 4 hours. Will we ALL still eventually get home okay?
I have a Ford Fusion and have driven in subzero temperatures with no problem, at least nothing that had anything to do with being a hybrid. The heater works fine and the electric seats make it quite toasty. My one objection is lost of mileage when it's cold. I normally get about 38 mpg in summer but in cold winter climates I lose about 2mpg.

I bought my car 2 years ago. The hybrid was about $5K more than the non-hybrid mode, however there were some features on the hybrid that were not included in non-hybrid. With the number of miles I drive and the gas prices, I figure the break-even is 5 1/2 years.

Last edited:
Oddly enough, one would think that the conservative members of the board would be all for anything that promises more individual freedom, and national independence from foreign energy sources. Could it be they really don't mean their talking points?

Increasing production is not the only way to attain energy independence.

Heck in another thread one RWinger was complaining about congress cutting NASA's funding.
I recall in the past how they wanted to cut NASA's funding.

He was probably as supporter of Gingrich's ideas of moon colonies:lol:

If you're thinking about buying a fuel-efficient hybrid, electric or otherwise eco-friendly vehicle as a way to save money over time, do your homework — or be prepared to wait.

Buyers who choose Nissan's all-electric Leaf ($28,421) over its approximate gas-powered equivalent, Nissan's Versa ($18,640), will likely wait nearly 9 years until they break even, according to a new report by The New York Times that examines the cost of fuel efficiency.

For drivers of the Chevrolet Volt ($31,767), the wait is even longer— 26.6 years.​

Any one who buys a Nissan is not too bright anyway.

Those figures will change with $5 gas though.
What's wrong with Nissan?
they are poor quality and do not last long.

love the avatar btw.

And, should the economy significantly improve, and we add a lot more funding to NASA, which would be a very good thing, they will once more scream, puke, and whine about the waste of shooting money into space.
Wrong. Read the space exploration threads. The vast majority of conservatives are for it.

conservatives are for it NOW. :)

fact.........dealers are going to have to sell 50X more electric vehicles than current levels for them to be cost effective.

50X s0ns!!!!!!

Only the k00ks think this is plausible.

By the way..........

Wanna laugh your balls off? Look what this nutter Dem senator said today about our urgent need to buy electric cars..........."or be killed by tornado's!!!"

And to think.........there are some dull's out there that will take this shit to heart............

Durbin Says We Must Buy Hybrid Cars Because Of Tornadoes: "It's Your Money Or Your Life" | RealClearPolitics

Now........what kind of person would really buy this crap???

BOOBS.jpg

Yo West......Ian.....wirebender...........frank............is that shit unbelievable or what?

Last edited:

Increasing production is not the only way to attain energy independence.
It is until the alternatives are economical and scalable.

conservatives are for it NOW. :)

I've ALWAYS been for it. I expect most conservative here have been, too.

By the way..........

Wanna laugh your balls off? Look what this nutter Dem senator said today about our urgent need to buy electric cars..........."or be killed by tornado's!!!"

And to think.........there are some dull's out there that will take this shit to heart............

Durbin Says We Must Buy Hybrid Cars Because Of Tornadoes: "It's Your Money Or Your Life" | RealClearPolitics

Now........what kind of person would really buy this crap???

BOOBS.jpg

Yo West......Ian.....wirebender...........frank............is that shit unbelievable or what?
Hmmm? What? You were saying something Skookerboobies?

Forum List

Back