Saving the Ludwig von Mises Papers

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
As I reported in The Economic Philosopher's Outcast: Mises, the great Austrian economist Ludwig von Mises narrowly escaped capture by the Gestapo after the Nazis occupied Vienna in March 1938. What I didn't mention is that he was forced to leave his voluminous papers behind -- a painful experience for any writer!

Although the Gestapo failed to nab Mises, who had escaped to Switzerland, they ransacked his apartment at 24 Wollseile, confiscating his manuscripts, articles, university lectures and extensive correspondence with many of the greatest thinkers of his time.

The Nazis were after Mises not only because he was Jewish, but because he was a brilliant, outspoken opponent of social engineering and central planning. Mises championed a free-market economy as the best way to protect individual liberties, spur innovation and raise living standards. He argued that Germany's spiraling inflation was a result of government mismanagement of monetary and banking systems. As a result, Ebeling notes, "both fascists and communists hated him."

Saving the Ludwig von Mises Papers: How the Holocaust Museum Helped Uncover a Nazi Treasure Trove in Moscow | Steve Mariotti

An interesting account of what became of the papers of Ludwig von Mises after he was forced to leave his home for Switzerland before the Nazis could get him.

As I reported in The Economic Philosopher's Outcast: Mises, the great Austrian economist Ludwig von Mises narrowly escaped capture by the Gestapo after the Nazis occupied Vienna in March 1938. What I didn't mention is that he was forced to leave his voluminous papers behind -- a painful experience for any writer!

Although the Gestapo failed to nab Mises, who had escaped to Switzerland, they ransacked his apartment at 24 Wollseile, confiscating his manuscripts, articles, university lectures and extensive correspondence with many of the greatest thinkers of his time.

The Nazis were after Mises not only because he was Jewish, but because he was a brilliant, outspoken opponent of social engineering and central planning. Mises championed a free-market economy as the best way to protect individual liberties, spur innovation and raise living standards. He argued that Germany's spiraling inflation was a result of government mismanagement of monetary and banking systems. As a result, Ebeling notes, "both fascists and communists hated him."

Saving the Ludwig von Mises Papers: How the Holocaust Museum Helped Uncover a Nazi Treasure Trove in Moscow | Steve Mariotti

An interesting account of what became of the papers of Ludwig von Mises after he was forced to leave his home for Switzerland before the Nazis could get him.
Thanks for posting.

New Topics

Forum List

Back