saved a birdie today

K

KLSuddeth

I was driving home today from my daily afternoon starbucks run today when I turned into the the gates of our community. I saw a small cat lying in the road and a little bird. I pulled over and realized that the cat (a big kitten, really) had been run over but was still alive and the bird was just standing there - it looked shocked - A car came and nearly ran the cat and bird AND me over (grrr fucking people driving 40+ mph through subdivisions really piss me off in all sorts of hellish ways). The bird was a fledgling who couldnt fly yet - and kept running to the road in a panic - the poor kitty was so mangled and I knelt by it to check on it and the poor little thing let out this piteous meow and just laid its head in my lap. It actually let me move it to a nearby yard. A man pulled over to help me and before that a woman had driven by and said her friend operated the local chapter of operation kindness and she called her. The guy kept trying to put the bird in a tree to keep it away from yet ANOTHER cat who kept trying to run into the road after it. After a while, the woman from Operation kindess/rescue pulled up and picked the cat up. Then there I was looking at this little fledgling bird - a starling-that kept hopping to the road and watching this other cat stalking it - I could see another accident in the making. So I scooped up the bird and took it home (seeing me drive down the street with one hand on the wheel and the other hand holding a bird had to be comical). Well, I got it home and proceeded to look up wild life rescue in the area. It started squawking like you wouldnt believe and the lady on the phone said it was hungry but it wouldnt eat - we tried. She then directed me to get some baby food and a needle-less syringe (had both thank god) and put the food directly in its gullet. What an education I had today!
After I fed it, it quieted down and I'll be damned if it didnt go to SLEEP in my hand! Just like any other baby.

Well the conclusion is (long story short), after a long drive to the wrong address that was NOT close to my home, we found the place to take the bird. We dropped the baby starling off and they siad he was in good shape and that he would be rehabilitated and set free when he was ready.

I just hope the kitty is ok - it was so sad.

I think you got your good deed in today KL - that was a great story, sad, but glad to see the bird is going to be fine and hope the cat will be too! I have been there a few times with the bird thing myself! Even a big old black bird, loud guy he was.

Nice story.
And, yes, you certainly did your good deed for the day.
Hmm... I've only got 2 hrs left :eek:

:clap1: :clap1: :clap: :clap1: :clap: :clap1:

You deserve a big pat on the back!!! What a sweet thing you did.

Feeding those baby birds is interesting. Where I work,we get baby African Gray parrots and all different kinds of birds and we hand feed them with a syringe until they are weened to seed. Just like feeding cereal to a baby.

Anyway,too bad there aren't more people like you that would take the time to do this. You saved 2 lived today hopefully!!!

Your a better person then me with the cat situation. I would have immediately thought of Chinese!! :D

Since that bird was saved, death is looking for you now; Watch your Back!

Am I evil?

lol - for me? nawwwww - Im too mean and have piss and vinegar running through my veins. Hell is afraid Id take over (or so DK says) LOL

And NO - youre not evil. What is the etymology for evil?

Forum List

Back