Save the Twinkie!

Deep fried Twinkie says "say what??!"

deep_fried_twinkie.jpg

I've never eaten a Twinkie and have no desire to do so. True story.

commie

129024386528880102.jpg

deep_fried_twinkie.jpg

Thats just un-Amaricun

You call Twinkies American? Naahhh . . .

Could an argument be made that the Twinkie — the ubiquitous snack cake with decidedly mysterious origins — is in fact an “all natural” foodstuff?

It’s a question that’s dogged Steve Ettlinger for years. The author of the book “Twinkie, Deconstructed” spent months of his life interviewing chemical engineers, questioning industrial bakers and even traveling 1,600 feet below the surface of the Earth to see where Twinkie ingredients are mined. (Mined!)

To be sure, the Twinkie contains easily recognizable ingredients, such as flour, sugar, water, eggs, whey and salt. But Ettlinger dug and dug until he understood what the terms Polysorbate 60, Red 40, mono and diglycerides and calcium sulfate really meant. (Spoiler alert: Calcium sulfate is a food-grade equivalent of plaster of Paris.)

That process of looking at the process was an eye-opening adventure indeed. Hostess Cakes, the maker of Twinkies, did not help Ettlinger with his research, but dozens of scientists, engineers, industrial bakers, mining professionals, Hostess competitors and former Hostess employees did. Ettlinger said he was astounded by what he learned — particularly his finding that Twinkies’ ingredients are “manufactured with fourteen of the top twenty chemicals made in the U.S.”

What's in a Twinkie

. . . This? Now this is American!

apple-pie-2.jpg

homemade applie pie.

Betcha most of the gals (and some of the guys) will switch over to Winkies if Twinkies disappear.

creamywinkie.jpg

foursours.jpg

deep_fried_twinkie.jpg

commie

129024386528880102.jpg

Thats just un-Amaricun

Could an argument be made that the Twinkie — the ubiquitous snack cake with decidedly mysterious origins — is in fact an “all natural” foodstuff?

It’s a question that’s dogged Steve Ettlinger for years. The author of the book “Twinkie, Deconstructed” spent months of his life interviewing chemical engineers, questioning industrial bakers and even traveling 1,600 feet below the surface of the Earth to see where Twinkie ingredients are mined. (Mined!)

To be sure, the Twinkie contains easily recognizable ingredients, such as flour, sugar, water, eggs, whey and salt. But Ettlinger dug and dug until he understood what the terms Polysorbate 60, Red 40, mono and diglycerides and calcium sulfate really meant. (Spoiler alert: Calcium sulfate is a food-grade equivalent of plaster of Paris.)

That process of looking at the process was an eye-opening adventure indeed. Hostess Cakes, the maker of Twinkies, did not help Ettlinger with his research, but dozens of scientists, engineers, industrial bakers, mining professionals, Hostess competitors and former Hostess employees did. Ettlinger said he was astounded by what he learned — particularly his finding that Twinkies’ ingredients are “manufactured with fourteen of the top twenty chemicals made in the U.S.”
What's in a Twinkie

apple-pie-2.jpg

homemade applie pie.
Unless you have Dutch roots...

Attachments

• $Dutch Apple Pie.jpeg
    $Dutch Apple Pie.jpeg
    46.7 KB · Views: 56

129024386528880102.jpg

What's in a Twinkie

apple-pie-2.jpg

homemade applie pie.

Tulip pie? :eusa_eh:

Just buy all your Twinkies now

They have a shelf life of 10,000 years

I just found out that my 13-year old son has never had a Twinkie.:eek:

You are a horrible mother :eek:

I know...I sort of feel like I robbed him of a unique experience.:lol:

My mother bought me a pack of Twinkies when I was about 12. I didn't like them. Too sweet! I much preferred salt and lemons. God, what I wouldn't give to eat a lemon with salt this very minute. But I don't dare!

129024386528880102.jpg

What's in a Twinkie

apple-pie-2.jpg

homemade applie pie.

How about shoo fly pie? MMMMMMMM..........

Hostess, the maker of Twinkies and Wonder bread is in trouble. Uuummmm, I wonder why? :lol:

The maker of Twinkies, the well-known cream-filled sponge cakes, has filed for bankruptcy protection in the US.

Hostess Brands said it needed to start a legal process of reorganisation, as difficult economic conditions had exacerbated existing problems.

The confectioner said it needed to change its "uncompetitive" cost structure and labour contracts.
BBC News - Twinkies-maker Hostess Brands files for Chapter 11

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!:hellno:

Forum List

Back