Save Our Schools March: a teacher revolt against Obama education reform

How much of the problem is the educational system giving kids boring useless crap to learn? Then testing to see how much boring useless crap they memorized.

Precious little IMO. Oh there is plenty "boring" to kids no doubt, and much will have little practical application in their lives. But useless? Nah. Any time you learn it is beneficial to the development of your mind, even if what you're learning isn't practical or "useful" knowledge itself.

Why? Because in some ways your brain is like a muscle. For example, the more you use it, the stronger it becomes. And that is the primary benefit for much of what one learns in school - in fact for school itself: to develop your mind. To learn not just specific facts and figures, but to expose your mind to new ideas, new information, new ways to think, to analyze, to form opinions, etc etc etc.

It appears there were some worthwhile comments after all the political cat fights and "screw you moron" (ad nauseum) playground idiocies settled down - I'll try to catch up on those later :) But basically I think the "reform" need is two-fold:

1 - Giving schools and esp. teachers back the authority that has been shredded over the last few decades (slowing the frivilous/bogus lawsuit BS would help a great deal)

2 - Parents acting like they know how to be parents; specifically, taking an active part in their kids' education by ensuring they do their homework, study, be supportive and show encouragement when they do well (or at least legitimately try to), but also not be afraid to lean on them when they slack, not automatically believing the kid vs the teacher if they get into trouble, etc etc.

OK, there are some good ideas and discussions in this thread (not counting the teacher bashing/public school peanut gallery that say the same thing in every education thread)

I like Foxy's idea about letting each state or district meet their needs for education. And of course, editec and she hit the nail on the head about communities involvement, along with family, where schools are a success.

Now, how can we get a successful community like we have in the 'burbs' and small towns in our countries inner-cities? Anyone have some good ideas how to achieve that?

I'd like to hear your ideas.

I think we didn't get to this disconnected, over-busy, self absorbed culture overnight. It was little by little. First marriage was devalued because there is divorce. And then fathers were devalued and one parent households gradually became the norm. And religion was devalued so that a religious presence in the community was no longer seen as important or necessary or even desirable. And then the mentality shifted slowly away from local control, PTAs, booster clubs, and schools being central to the community and moved toward more central authority and power and one-size-fits-all programming.

None of this is meant to imply that every marriage is a good marriage or that single parents can't do a good job of raising kids or that churches are the end all or solution for eveybody and everything. But when two parent families are valued and the presence of churches are seen as the norm, the culture will be different, less violent or crime ridden, more cohesive, more supportive, and generally more effective.

We don't have to embrace the negatives that existed, but I think if we would stop denigrating and start approving and praising the positives in some of the old traditional values, we could restore what we have lost in the education system when we lost all the rest. Won't happen overnight. But won't happen at all if we don't at least recognize it and give it a chance.

You wont fix anything until you fix the family unit in this country. Way too many kids come from broken homes. Those kids ARE BROKEN. Their heads spin from the dysfunction in their family. Schools cannot fix this. The american family structure has been broken for some time. I refuse to blame schools for not being able to fix the problem. If teachers have good parts, they will create a good product. Case closed.

With the unstoppable economic turmoil, I am afraid that a lot of student will be forced to stop from going to school. I know that they have options like getting an education loan but this has been a fear to many university students. That's why I don't wonder why as a potential escape, some women and men are taking a controversial turn at a form of online dating services. Online websites like Seeking Arrangement make turning into a sugar baby to rich, older partners simple, writes The Huffington Post. I read this here: College sugar babies solicit funds to fight student loan debt.

Though, I think this shouldn't be the reason for them to engage themselves to prostitution.

This nation is now run by managment who is operating on the assumption that the USA is NOT a going concern, that's obvious.

Basically what is happening is the masters are getting their cash OUT of this nation in preparation for the bankruptsy that they have been setting this nation up to undergo in the near future.

<H2 class=slide-title>Americans now owe more than $875 billion on student loans, which is more than the total amount that Americans owe on their credit cards

Read more: 16 Shocking Facts About Student Debt And The Great College Education Scam

In 1992, there were 5.1 million "underemployed" college graduates in the United States. In 2008, there were 17 million "underemployed" college graduates in the United States

Read more: 16 Shocking Facts About Student Debt And The Great College Education Scam
</H2>
College education is going to become the next investment BUBBLE to burst, folks.

Like every other kind of investment bubble TOO MUCH MONEY IS CHASING TOO FEW POTENTIAL PROFITS.

BUTTTT --- You gotta shore up the K-10 part of this as well.. Otherwise -- none of the Virtual Ed potential really matters. Can't leak 50% or more of kids into an unskilled job force anymore..

Science fiction made science interesting for me in 4th grade. And I am not the only person like that.

you just exactly described my own road to science. I remember in 3rd grade, we cracked open the science text book...on one single day out of the whole year. It was so novel that I remember that event, though I don't remember what we learned.

It was only when I discovered science fiction that I gained an interest in science.

The stuff called science fiction in the last 20 years has turned to junk. Vampires and horror and fantasy. But now some old sci-fi is free and we have cheap computers to access it.

All Day September by Roger Kuykendall
All Day September - Roger Kuykendall | Feedbooks

Eight Keys to Eden by Mark Clifton
Extrapolator - extracts from "Eight Keys to Eden" by Mark Clifton <- Link to Review
"Eight Keys to Eden" by Clifton Mark <- Link to Book

Our class structure depends on some kids being sabotaged during their grade school years. So the obvious thing to do is destroy the class structure. Much of the upper classes are not all that bright. So computer assisted grade school education could have interesting effects.

psik

Last edited:

Forum List

Back