Save Me

rtwngAvngr said:
My feelings are not hurt. I have actually been debating about writing about these negative things, but I see what mom and abbey are saying too. Is it right to celebrate it in a sense by putting it out there? yes and no. A certain segment will identify with it. And i also believe that some impressionable youths may think it's cool.

Thanks for caring about my thread everybody. USMB ladies are the bestest on the net!

I never meant to direct it at you, R. I sincerely apologize if you felt it was. I could be way off base, but you strike me as way too fiesty to get seriously down for long. The posts were just a springboard for a topic that I think about every now and then.

Abbey Normal said:
Yes, I am talking about people enjoying watching a movie like that. Or listening to a song about suicide; or about addiction.

Despondency is bad enough if you are living with it, but why immerse yourself in it if you are not? I just don't get the appeal. If a movie addresses tough issues, abut offers some glimmer of hope, that's okay and can be very interesting. But Leaving Las Vegas was a hopeless downer from opening scene to closing credits.

I think I"m half alseep in this thread for some reason.

Anyway, I can enjoy a movie like that because I can relate to Cage's character. I can watch and read other things that I can't relate to as well, some up beat, some not. I'm not depressed or despondent in general or afterwards, just makes me think about things. To each their own.

Abbey Normal said:
I never meant to direct it at you, R. I sincerely apologize if you felt it was. I could be way off base, but you strike me as way too fiesty to get seriously down for long. The posts were just a springboard for a topic that I think about every now and then.

I'm feisty on here because my personal life has lost all meaning. Worrying about society at large is a great distraction from dealing with your own issues. But I'm on a good happy pill for now. And I'm correcting some bad personal habits that are keeping me in a fog. I've taken no offense from anything on this thread.

I actually watch a lot of depressing music and listen to a lot of depressing music, and for me it's sometimes because I identify with it in some weird way. If I'm mad at a friend or myself or something and I listen to a song that I think relates to my situation, then it helps me feel like I'm not completely alone.

Other times, it's mostly just sort of morbid curiosity, at least as far as movies and books, not so much songs. I like to read a book like Permanent Midnight, for example, just because I wonder what drives someone to lead such a self-destructive life, or just how far off the deep end humans really can go. I think it's something very human and instinctual, I mean look how long Shakespeare has lasted, and what hope does something like Romeo & Juliet or Hamlet give the audience?

Dan said:
I actually watch a lot of depressing music and listen to a lot of depressing music, and for me it's sometimes because I identify with it in some weird way. If I'm mad at a friend or myself or something and I listen to a song that I think relates to my situation, then it helps me feel like I'm not completely alone.

Other times, it's mostly just sort of morbid curiosity, at least as far as movies and books, not so much songs. I like to read a book like Permanent Midnight, for example, just because I wonder what drives someone to lead such a self-destructive life, or just how far off the deep end humans really can go. I think it's something very human and instinctual, I mean look how long Shakespeare has lasted, and what hope does something like Romeo & Juliet or Hamlet give the audience?

That's true, dan. Tragedy has always been a staple of art, hasn't it.

One of my favorite books is "The Outsider". Not so much despondent, detached is a better (albeit simplified) description.

Books about addiction are tragic, at least I think they are.

Said1 said:
One of my favorite books is "The Outsider". Not so much despondent, detached is a better (albeit simplified) description.

Books about addiction are tragic, at least I think they are.

Stay gold, ponyboy!

Same themes as Salinger and Catcher In the Rye. What does society do to us. And conversely, what are we if not defined by it? In this zone there be dragons, back children back, you're too close to the edge. And it's "Bottle" of beer.

rtwngAvngr said:
That was cool.

Not too many buzz words. But it is essentially what a lot of newagers are trying to convey, but aren't quite able to get to the point as well as Wilson in that speach. No candles and incense necessary.

Another glass of whiskey
but it still don't kill the pain
so he stumbles to the sink
and pours it down the drain

He said "it's time to be a man
and stop livin' for yesterday
Gotta face it..."

Cause I don't wanna spend my life jaded
Waitin'
To wake up one day and find
that I let all these years go by
Wasted

Oh, I don't wanna keep on wishin'
Missin'
The still of the morning
the color of the night
I ain't spendin' no more time
Wasted
(CArrie Underwood---Wasted)

Stay gold, ponyboy!

Let's do it for Johnny, man! We'll do it for Johnny!

I know that's not what we're talking about, but I can't resist a chance to quote The Outsiders.

Dan said:
Let's do it for Johnny, man! We'll do it for Johnny!

I know that's not what we're talking about, but I can't resist a chance to quote The Outsiders.

:laugh:

Or: 'Johnny, your mother is here to see you'

'Tell her to go away and leave me.....' then he passes out.

That's one of the funniest scens in the movie.

The funniest scene is Emilio Estevez at the drive-in, he goes up to a girl's car window and starts unzipping his pants. "Hey, baby, you wanna see what's hangin'?" :happy2:

Forum List

Back