Savage VS CAIR - Your Thoughts

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mattskramer, Dec 11, 2007.

1. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    I’m surprised that no one has posted anything concerning this court case. Perhaps comments have been posted that I have not found. Anyway, here is the gist of the issue:

Should people be allowed to quote other people / commentators (by typing or audio recording) (supposedly in context or out of context) and then encourage others, based on evaluation of such comments, to boycott said commentator. Here are relevant links for you to consider while you formulate your opinion:

The website in question with the audio in question:

http://www.cair.com/ArticleDetails.aspx?mid1=777&&ArticleID=23608&&name=n&&currPage=3

The basic outline of the suit:

http://www.savage-productions.com/Savage_CAIR_suit.html

In my opinion what CIAR did falls under Fair Use

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

a doctrine in United States copyright law that allows limited use of copyrighted material without requiring permission from the rights holders, such as use for scholarship or review.

(I did not get Wikipedia’s permission to use its definition for Fair Use. I sure hope that it does not use me.)

Shouldn’t people be allowed to take quotes from other people / comentators and criticize such commentators. Shouldn’t they also be free to ask that other people boycott such people. It is hard for me to believe that every sentence that someone utters is actually so copywrited automatically and is saved from being excerpted and criticized.

Anyway, please give your perspective and answer the question: Should Savage win?

2. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,128
    Context is everything.

That being said, I don't think Savage will or should win. He is a public figure. He says controversial things. If he never expected that the things he says wouldn't be used against him at some point by someone, he's a fool. I understand why he has decided to sue, no one likes to be quoted out of context, just ask any politician. For that matter, ask any USMB member.

3. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    isn't this exactly what the catholic league is doing with the movie The Last Compass? isn't this what happened to Don Imus? Mike Richards? Mel Gibson? The Davinci Code? the "old media newspaper wars" in NY and Washington?

I think Mike overreacted, per his schtick, and will lose his case. His hatred of muslim organizations is clearly muting his logic.

4. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    No. This is one of the hazards of freedom of speech, and to mess with it is to tamper with that.

I'm forced to listen to Savage because I live in a really rural area, do lots of traveling in a car and pretty much the only radio I can pick up consistently seems to run him about 23 out of 24 hours of the day. I think he's a nutcase. Entertaining, and possibly quite a nice guy...but some of the stuff he says is just off the wall. Some of it is right on, though. So, like most humans, he has his quirks (sheesh, I hope I never have to listen to him go off about cocoa and kids ever again. He seems to think cocoa is the number one cause of most emotional problems in children.)

He's a radio talk show host who prides himself on saying inflammatory, outrageous things, often about specific people. He says horrible things about Rush, Bush and others...and yet he's all hurt and shocked that they don't rush to his defense.

And what is even more appalling is he's set up a FUND for his stupid attorney's fees. He goes out and gets the most expensive attorney money can buy, tells everyone he's going to change the world when he wins this case..then puts the pinch on his listeners.

If only I could find another channel out here in the sticks.

5. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    And while it's a good cause to expose fascists, get some balls for crying out loud. It's like he can dish it out, but he can't take it.

6. Shogun

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    I just want to clarify... I listen to Savage too right before Boortz because he is lots of entertainment. i respect his passion even if he says goofy things in order to get paid.. He's like the Andrew Dice Clay of conservative radio. I don't think anyone should keep savage from saying the things that he does. I think he has a first amendment right to say what he wants to say. However, I don't think that the bill of rights protects an individual from the repercussions of their free speach. David Duke could come up with the cure for cancer and America wold still see him as a racist asshole based on his own words (even if his logic is spot on when equating groups that support white rights with the NAACP). yes, let mike say what he wants to say. Everyone else has the right to make a judgment about his expression. This is why I brought up the Last Compass. Is the Catholic League liable for loss in ticket sales because they organized a boycott reflecting the fact of the authors own work? no. Boycotts are as American as Unions. But, by all means, let Dr. Savage speak.

7. Shogun

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    Thats true. It seems that a good portion of talk radio is based on this very same process of reporting so that an audience can decide to participate in voting dem or not. Again, I think he overreacted and I think he knows it. I think he wanted to tag Cair with something and thought he would be the hero of the day.

I rememebr last summer when Savage thought that some fed politican threatened him.. I forget what the actual dialog was.. It was a Roll the eyes moment, lemme tellya.. in fact, for some reason i want to say it was from a republican too.

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I dislike Michael Savage, I think he's way over the top and often nasty. With that said, I don't know he'll lose, if CAIR used more than 7 minutes of his copy righted material. The courts will rule.

9. actsnoblemartin

actsnoblemartin I love Andrea & April

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +407
    I hope c.a.i.r. loses, i dont need any race or religious (politically correct) protected by the media, group that tells me what i can and cant think, and telling me what is and isnt racist.

clean up your own shit with radical islam c.a.i.r. before you starting telling christians and jews how to act.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    I can tell you to go jump in the lake. I can say that you are a racist. You do not have to jump in the lake just because I say so. Also, just because I call you a racist does not mean that you are a racist.

People have a right to free speech. People do not have a right to be listened to or believed. This is a free speech issue for CAIR. I think that they should win and I hope that they do win.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1