Saudi judge refuses to annul marriage of girl, 8

“Morality is simply the attitude we adopt towards people whom we personally dislike.”
Oscar Wilde

The judge did ask for a pledge from the husband, who was in court, not to consummate the marriage until the girl reaches puberty, according to al-Jutaili.

The judge ruled that when the girl reaches puberty, she will have the right to request a divorce by filing a petition with the court, the lawyer said.

Looks to me that this is a purely cultural action. It looks bad to us because we naturally associate marriage and sex. We also naturally look to marriage as a choice and not something that can be arranged to settle debts.

We need to remember that:

1)The marriage is not allowed to be consumated until the girl is much older.
2)The girl has the right to file a petition to annul the marriage when she comes of age.

Assuming those guidelines are followed and there is no pedophilia involved, i dont really see whats so evil about the cultural differences in and of themselves. They are just odd and quirky. But it seems to me that the girl still has rights.
1) The judge requested that, that doesn't mean it will happen
2) Do you think the rights of women mean anything in that country? The mother couldn't stop this travesty, what makes you a pubescent girl can?

Yay multiculturalism.

1) The judge requested that, that doesn't mean it will happen
2) Do you think the rights of women mean anything in that country? The mother couldn't stop this travesty, what makes you a pubescent girl can?

Yay multiculturalism.

What makes you thik the mother tried to stop the marriage? The article only tells us:

"On Saturday, the judge, Sheikh Habib Abdallah al-Habib, dismissed a petition brought by the girl's mother because she "is not the legal guardian of the girl," the woman's lawyer Abdullah al-Jutaili said.

"Therefore, she cannot represent her daughter in these proceedings," al-Jutaili said.

Her parents are separated, he said."

The mother's intentions concerning the marriage are unknown as are the reasons she has no custody. Mothers in the US sometimes lose custody of their children too.

At least the mother had the right to be represented by a lawyer and that laws exist in that country to permit the child to petition for an annulment when she reaches a certain age and that the husband is not permitted to have sex with her. This sounds more like a situation where the child is being used as collateral for a debt rather than some kind of sexual slavery or fundamental Mormonism.
In other cultures, as I pointed out in my post above, women are not permitted legal representration at all. Children have no legal recourse when their parents indenture them to carpet weaving factories or brothels. Children are out right sold in many Asian countries and murdered without fear of the police when the children protest or run away.

Last edited:
What makes you thik the mother tried to stop the marriage? The article only tells us:

"On Saturday, the judge, Sheikh Habib Abdallah al-Habib, dismissed a petition brought by the girl's mother because she "is not the legal guardian of the girl," the woman's lawyer Abdullah al-Jutaili said.

"Therefore, she cannot represent her daughter in these proceedings," al-Jutaili said.

Her parents are separated, he said."

The mother's intentions concerning the marriage are unknown as are the reasons she has no custody. Mothers in the US sometimes lose custody of their children too.

At least the mother had the right to be represented by a lawyer and that laws exist in that country to permit the child to petition for an annulment when she reaches a certain age and that the husband is not permitted to have sex with her. This sounds more like a situation where the child is being used as collateral for a debt rather than some kind of sexual slavery or fundamental Mormonism.
In other cultures, as I pointed out in my post above, women are not permitted legal representration at all. Children have no legal recourse when their parents indenture them to carpet weaving factories or brothels. Children are out right sold in many Asian countries and murdered without fear of the police when the children protest or run away.

I suppose they only mentioned the mother in the interest of family values.
(I am seriously holding back from insulting your lack of cognitive reasoning)

Do you seriously want to compare American custody to Saudi custody?
How about this, do you think an American father could use his 8 year old daughter to settle a debt and that the child's mother would have no say in that?
(I am seriously holding back from insulting your lack of cognitive reasoning), again)

How about this, do you think an American father could use his 8 year old daughter to settle a debt and that the child's mother would have no say in that?
(I am seriously holding back from insulting your lack of cognitive reasoning), again)

It's regretful that your lack of cognative reasoning and your seriously repetitive behaviors prevent you from getting my points.

No way to compare the two. To even try is useless.

neg rep sour grapes is your way of making a point?

As opposed to,
It's regretful that your lack of cognative reasoning and your seriously repetitive behaviors prevent you from getting my points.
Gee, you really addressed points there, didn't you?

Now, you can address the points I made (as I addressed yours), or you can continue to just ignore my points and make it personal.
I really don't care, but I'm done with this portion of your discussion.

Oh now, Anguille has neg repped me back for revenge, not because of what I was debating.
I'm so hurt.
Grow up Anguille.

LOL! Remind me to neg rep you again tomorrow.
Feel honored. You are only the 3rd person to be neg repped by me here.

LOL! Remind me to neg rep you again tomorrow.
Feel honored. You are only the 3rd person to be neg repped by me here.

Care to address these points?
You know, the ones you so conveniently ignored,

Reminder,
Neg rep me tomorrow.

Care to address these points?
You know, the ones you so conveniently ignored,

Reminder,
Neg rep me tomorrow.

I adressed you second one already in a post to Lyce.

Your first point isn't a point at all just a weird supposition on your account.

If you want to spread hate towards a group of people, at least you could do us the courtesy of backing up your statements with some documentation. Get some pointers from William Joyce. He is a "respected" bigot and racist because he actually tries to present a case.

Now go away and eat some flies or something.

I adressed you second one already in a post to Lyce.

Your first point isn't a point at all just a weird supposition on your account.

If you want to spread hate towards a group of people, at least you could do us the courtesy of backing up your statements with some documentation. Get some pointers from William Joyce. He is a "respected" bigot and racist because he actually tries to present a case.

Now go away and eat some flies or something.
Asking if anybody is vaguely familiar with Saudi law doesn't even come close to addressing this question,
But hey, you did a good job of calling me a racist and bigot and accusing me of hate. Perhaps you could prove that anything I said was hate motivated.
Batboy patiently awaits proof of this so-called hate.

Here are the problems that I have with those on this board to seem to look the other way at this whole episode:

1) If the "husband" decides to rape this girl, there will be no consequences for the man. In all likelihood, the girl will be charged with adultery unless the rape is witnessed by 4 muslim men. That is Sharia law.

2) Most girls hit puberty by the time they reach their teens, and perhaps even a bit younger. So what makes the ripe old age of thirteen better for filing for an annulment than eight???

An eight year old girl is an eight year old girl anywhere in the world, and should not be married off to anyone at such a young age - regardless of culture, religion or any other factors! If she is not old enough to say "I don't want to be married to him", then she is not old enough to be married - period!!

This is state-sanctioned pedophilia - any way you slice it!!

1) If the "husband" decides to rape this girl, there will be no consequences for the man. In all likelihood, the girl will be charged with adultery unless the rape is witnessed by 4 muslim men. That is Sharia law.

Beides the fact that you have no basis for saying what you allege, what the hell are you actually talking about?

A wife can be charged with adultery for having sex with her husband??:cuckoo:

Forum List

Back