Saudi Arabia cuts ties with Iran

Vikrant

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2013
The U.S.
This is getting intense now.

---

Saudi Arabia cut ties with Iran on Sunday, responding to the storming of its embassy in Tehran in an escalating row between the rival Middle East powers over Riyadh's execution of a Shi'ite Muslim cleric.

Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir told a news conference in Riyadh that the envoy of Shi'ite Iran had been asked to quit Saudi Arabia within 48 hours. The kingdom, he said, would not allow the Islamic republic to undermine its security.

Iranian protesters stormed the Saudi embassy in Tehran early on Sunday and Shi'ite Iran's top leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, predicted "divine vengeance" for the execution of Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr, an outspoken opponent of the ruling Al Saudi family.

Jubeir said the attack in Tehran was in line with what he said were earlier Iranian assaults on foreign embassies there and with Iranian policies of destabilizing the region by creating "terrorist cells" in Saudi Arabia.

"The kingdom, in light of these realities, announces the cutting of diplomatic relations with Iran and requests the departure of delegates of diplomatic missions of the embassy and consulate and offices related to it within 48 hours. The ambassador has been summoned to notify them," he said.

Speaking on Iranian state television, Deputy Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian said in Tehran's first response that by cutting diplomatic ties, Riyadh could not cover up "its major mistake of executing Sheikh Nimr".

The United States, Saudi Arabia's biggest backer in the West, responded by encouraging diplomatic engagement and calling for leaders in the region to take "affirmative steps" to reduce tensions.

"We believe that diplomatic engagement and direct conversations remain essential in working through differences and we will continue to urge leaders across the region to take affirmative steps to calm tensions," an official of President Barack Obama's administration said.

Tensions between revolutionary, mainly Shi'ite Iran and Saudi Arabia's conservative Sunni monarchy have run high for years as they backed opposing forces in wars and political conflicts across the Middle East, usually along sectarian lines.

However, Saturday's execution of a cleric whose death Iran had warned would "cost Saudi Arabia dearly", and the storming of the kingdom's Tehran embassy, raised the pitch of the rivalry.

Strong rhetoric from Tehran was matched by Iran's Shi'ite allies across the region, with Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah, the head of Lebanese militia Hezbollah, describing the execution as "a message of blood". Moqtada al-Sadr, an Iraqi Shi'ite cleric, called for angry protests.

Demonstrators protesting against the execution of the cleric, Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr, broke into the embassy building, smashed furniture and started fires before being ejected by police.

Saudi Arabia cuts ties with Iran as row over cleric's death escalates

Thank you Vik.. Now think HARD. I have another very annoying personal story. -----the very first muslim I knew well in my little college job that brought me into contact with young medical school graduates was from New Dehli------He liked to tell me about the world according to New Dehli islam.
I was very young----20 and polite and short in stature. (my shortness made lots of people from southeast asia---less edgy than did those 5' 9" teutonic blonds that populated the area) I listened and learned lots--------I learned all about jews until I told him that I am a jew----then I learned all about Christians. I learned all about how horrible are hindus. AND
I got to know about the SHIITE thing (which to me, back then----was the strangest
information of all) I do not know the proportion of sunnis vs Shiites in india------but whatever it is------when the MODI love affair with Iran started ------I got a definite sense of foreboding.
-----more boring personal stuff>>>> my kid was in the NAVY for awhile------his ship docked at the arab oil emirates----his comment to me----"Ma.....if one day all the hindu workers in those countries decided to sit down on the ground---Gandhi style----the countries would COLLAPSE and the arabs would starve to death"
There is more but I will not bore you. ---my little message after all the preamble
is-------this axing of a Shiite in Saudi arabia MAY bounce back even to India and the
present ongong love affair between India and Iran<<<<silly as that idea may seem---and EVEN to those poor miserable abused hindu workers in the emirates

SA kicked it up a notch. I personally have had it with the KINGDOM. Truly I am maxed. Fuck them.

Thank you Vik.. Now think HARD. I have another very annoying personal story. -----the very first muslim I knew well in my little college job that brought me into contact with young medical school graduates was from New Dehli------He liked to tell me about the world according to New Dehli islam.
I was very young----20 and polite and short in stature. (my shortness made lots of people from southeast asia---less edgy than did those 5' 9" teutonic blonds that populated the area) I listened and learned lots--------I learned all about jews until I told him that I am a jew----then I learned all about Christians. I learned all about how horrible are hindus. AND
I got to know about the SHIITE thing (which to me, back then----was the strangest
information of all) I do not know the proportion of sunnis vs Shiites in india------but whatever it is------when the MODI love affair with Iran started ------I got a definite sense of foreboding.
-----more boring personal stuff>>>> my kid was in the NAVY for awhile------his ship docked at the arab oil emirates----his comment to me----"Ma.....if one day all the hindu workers in those countries decided to sit down on the ground---Gandhi style----the countries would COLLAPSE and the arabs would starve to death"
There is more but I will not bore you. ---my little message after all the preamble
is-------this axing of a Shiite in Saudi arabia MAY bounce back even to India and the
present ongong love affair between India and Iran<<<<silly as that idea may seem---and EVEN to those poor miserable abused hindu workers in the emirates

For crying out loud irosie91 lay it out there. In the most simple terms. btw I'm 5"2" and spent my whole life looking up so I understand your situation.

For crying out loud irosie91 lay it out there. In the most simple terms. btw I'm 5"2" and spent my whole life looking up so I understand your situation.

I am 5"1'

Forum List

Back