Satan has a credit card, just for you.

was the name of the movie "soylent green" ?

pretty sure that wasn't it. Its going to be one of those titles that escapes most everybody until its revealed, then we'll all remember it.

No.. thats not it. It had like Kevin Costner or someone of that nature in it. They were imprisoned in a camp (on an island?) that had remote devices worn around their neck. Each prisoner had one, but they were doubled with another prisoner that they werent sure who was their "partner". Hence, if one person tried to escape, not only would his collar detonate, but his unknown partner's collar would also detonate.

I think I'm gonna start my search for the name right now..

schwarzanegger keeps popping in my mind but i've looked at his film listing and don't see it. It has a major action film star in it though, just can't peg who it is.

A young charlton heston maybe...... big brother...vid cameras everywhere....not safe to leave confines.... maybe I am thinking of more that one movie

the movie that come to mind is one in which a chip is implanted in the hand and it glows or blinks....after going to the forbiden area it does not blink

This movie is somewhere in the mid 80's, prisoners had explosive collars around their necks that would detonate when they pass an electronic perimiter.

Theres also a movie that lilcountriegal is talking about, i've seen that one as well. i want to say that rutger hauer was in that one but can't think of the name either.

This movie is somewhere in the mid 80's, prisoners had explosive collars around their necks that would detonate when they pass an electronic perimiter

Thats actually the movie I'm thinking of. Each prisoner also had an unknown "partner" whose collar would also detonate when one of the pair would pass the perimeter. Thus, the prison population would try to keep other prisoners from escaping for fear they were the unknowing "partner".

Would Escape from L.A. be it?

I'm seeing Kurt Russell ~ Sylvester Stallone type person. This is driving me absolutely nuts.

:blowup:

This is sooo far off topic (sorry jim).

All I've come up with is this:

Deadlock

its a movie called Deadlock, this one stars Rutger Hauer. I've watched the trailer and now im even more confused. I dont think its the one I was thinking of, but it has to be because its so similar to what I remember. I dunno.

Now I've given myself a headache :(

thats one of them, its not the one about the collars though, but thats certainly one that we were talking about.

Originally posted by jon_forward
That is such an OLD movie...I must have seen it when I was 10 or 11. It's with Charlton Heston, right? Where they are running out of food but magically this "power' bar is discovered? But it has a deep dark secret???

yea, he finds out that the bar or loaves are made from the bodies of people deemed to be of no use or something like that.... was lil when I first saw it to....think it was still b/w...early to mid 60s???

I'll never forget this movie, a warning to baby boomers, (1973):

n 2022, New York City is populated with 40 million people, half of whom are unemployed. The air is smoggy and sooty, and the sun bakes everything, everyday, at 90 degrees. Overpopulation and the destruction of the environment may have rendered human life cheap, but food--that is, real food--is quite expensive. A jar of real strawberry jam costs $150, if it's available--supermarkets don't exist anymore. The government now dispenses rations of food substances made by the Soylent corporation: Soylent Yellow, Soylent Red, and the newest product, Soylent Green.

But even these Soylent products are in short supply. Riot police are always dispatched when Soylent is distributed, because violence kicks in when the food runs out. Thorn (Heston) is a member of this modern, beleaguered police force, which pilfers every crime scene for the necessities of life. When Thorn is called in to investigate the death of a Soylent Corporation executive, his take is a treasure trove: a towel, a bar of soap, paper, and some real food--celery, a couple of apples, and half a pound of beef.

But what at first seems to Thorn a clumsy robbery soon seems a highly-managed assassination. But ironically, it is the death of Thorn's aging friend, Sol (Robinson), one of the few who still remembered what food was, what plenty meant, that cracks the case and unmasks a conspiracy. It is only through Sol's death that Thorn understands what the world has lost and what it has become...

Dystopia, euthanasia and all the rest

Soylent Green is a basic, cautionary tale of what could become of humanity physically and spiritually if it doesn't nurture the planet that nurtures it. There is little in this film that has not been seen in its brethren: faceless, oppressive crowds; sheep mentality; the corrosion of the soul, of imagination, of collective memory. Quirkily enough, Soylent Green often succeeds despite its director, whose tendency is to overuse Charlton Heston to illustrate every nuance of this dystopia.

Ironically, the film's most powerful moments do not belong to Heston, who makes a dubious, ambiguous hero. It is Robinson who lays claim to the most moving passages of the film. As Sol he speaks frequently throughout the film of what the planet was like, and he sounds like any old-timer of any generation. But in this bleak future, as one of the few who remembers, he is the film's conscience and soul. When Sol finally succumbs to despair and relinquishes himself to a government euthanasia center, Thorn sees glimpses of the Earth's lost legacy. In his world, the average person only sees blue skies and green forests via canned video during their last 20 minutes of life in a government euthanasia center.

schwarzanegger keeps popping in my mind but i've looked at his film listing and don't see it. It has a major action film star in it though, just can't peg who it is.
Its The Running Man. He is known as The buthcer of Bakersfield.
not that i have no life, and have no reason to actually remember it, but for some unknown reason I do

Forum List

Back