Sarkozy Understands the Concept of American Exceptionalism

I think you're missing the point which is that many Americans enjoy personal satisfaction, pleasure, and sense of accomplishment in their work that may or may not be typical in other cultures.

I'm calling BS here. While there are always a few workaholics, I've never met a person in my entire life that wouldn't take MORE vacation time if they could get it, at the same pay.

Well you are looking at one right here. I can't remember the last time I took all the time off that I could. There have been times that I turned back vacation and/or sick days. Other times I elected to be paid for them rather than take them off, not because I needed the money, but because I was needed more at work than I needed to be away. Or I wanted to meet a deadline or complete a project. But I have been blessed with work that was interesting, challenging, rewarding, and sometimes exciting too.

Along the way I've also had some sucky jobs. During those times I dreaded getting up and going to work every day. I watched the clock and prayed for Friday and the weekend. That's no way to live. I don't recommend it.

But I thought the whole point of this thread was the trade off between not working and working. I don't doubt there are cultures who place less value on the pleasure of work than do many Americans.

I think those who actually enjoy their time at the office and don't work ONLY to have the luxury to spend time at the beach are the most blessed of people. If we are going to spend roughly 25% of our week at work, don't you think experiencing that time as satisfying, even enjoyable, is at least as important as time on the beach? I would be bored out of my gourd if I was spending 40 hours a week on the beach unless that is where I worked.

I agree entirely. My thinking was for those who are forced to perform drudge work.

Diuretic, do stop trying. Foxfyre lives in a fantasy land where everyone loves their job, makes plenty of money to make ends meet and those who don't probably deserve to be unhappy. It's also a world where U.S. doesn't torture people it holds in custory. Seriously.

I agree entirely. My thinking was for those who are forced to perform drudge work.

Drudge work is the pits for sure. I've done my share of it during the time I was educating myself and paying my dues to qualify for jobs I LIKE doing. I have also had a couple of jobs since that were so awful, my stomach was in knots thinking about going to work. Needless to say, I got out of those as quickly as I could.

They are very closely related. Can you show me a more free market than one with capitalism?.

It may not exist in the here and now, but that doesnt mean it cant.

A free market is a market where prices of goods and services are arranged completely by the mutual non-coerced consent of sellers and buyers, determined generally by the supply and demand law with no government interference in the regulation of costs, supply and demand.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_market

Capitalism generally refers to an economic system in which the means of production are all or mostly privately[1][2] owned and operated for profit, and in which investments, distribution, income, production and pricing of goods and services are determined through the operation of a market economy. It is usually considered to involve the right of individuals and groups of individuals acting as "legal persons" or corporations to trade capital goods, labor, land and money.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitalism

Ok, first, our capitalistic system works because of the INVESTMENT part. Wall street anyone?

The thing is, we are in a capitalistic system WITHIN the US, and we try to be (although many are opposed, sadly even alot of so called conservatives) involved in the world market as a free market.

I mostly agree with you though, as in reality, the free market has proven to be the best. We certainly could go into details of how and what should be done to eliminate govt influence. Particularly what people are ignorant of are the copyright laws and philosophies, unions and monopolies.

Forum List

Back