sarkozy says no to burqas...

Discussion in 'General Global Topics' started by strollingbones, Jun 22, 2009.

1. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,973
    Sarkozy says burqas have no place in France | International | Reuters

"The issue of the burqa is not a religious issue, it is a question of freedom and of women's dignity," Sarkozy told a joint session of both houses of parliament, held at the Palace of Versailles.

The burqa is not a religious sign, it is a sign of the subjugation, of the submission of women. I want to say solemnly that it will not be welcome on our territory," he said to strong applause.

Referring to a cross-party initiative by close to 60 legislators last week, who proposed a parliamentary commission to look into the spread of the burqa and find ways to combat the trend, Sarkozy said it was the right way to proceed.

"A debate has to take place and all views must be expressed. What better place than parliament for this? I tell you, we must not be ashamed of our values, we must not be afraid of defending them," he said.

The debate about the burqa is reminiscent of a controversy that raged for a decade in France about Muslim girls wearing headscarves in class. Eventually, a law was passed in 2004 banning pupils from wearing conspicuous signs of their religion at state schools.

Critics say the law stigmatized Muslims at a time when the country should be fighting discrimination in the job and housing markets that has caused a rift between mainstream society and many youths from an immigrant background.

(Reporting by Estelle Shirbon)

do you think burkas should be used in the united states? how far are we willing as a culture to have this alien bullshit promoted?

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I've seen them, not often but they are around. If a woman chooses to wear it, can't see a law against it. On the other hand, if there's evidence of 'force' for the dress, I believe we have domestic laws covering such.

3. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,973
    they are unsafe...limited vision and that type of thing.....if you can wear a burka...can you go naked..that is personal choice too...i dont want to see women in burkas....i dont mind the modest dress but their eyes covered with veils....no...not safe...driving or walking

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Questionable for driving, but then most probably choose not to do so. However, where they tried to obtain DL's with them, they were forced to remove for identification purposes.

Sultaana Freeman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    I wonder if Sarkozy is going to start banning catholic habits next. Maybe we can force our fundy christians to start wearing pants and makeup too. Clearly, if the women do not want to cut their hair and get tattoos then they must be protected from themselves.

6. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,973
    ahh i remember that....i just dont care for the cultural influences from this religion or whatever.....honor killings...excuse me...killling ones daughter does not save your honor...i dont care for female circumsions either..the removal of the clitoris and the sewing of the vaginal opening..nope dont care for that at all...should we allow this crap in our society?

7. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,973
    o dont go all nutzo here shogun....we arent gonna make you wear one...and i do have concerns about the limited vision...and i am all for banning nuns habits...just ask annie

8. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,887
    To be fair to the head Frog, he didn't say he was going to outlaw them, just study a way to discourage them.

If other people want to look like moving mountains of black sheets that is their business. Just don't expect me to wear one.

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I don't care for the influence either. With that said, I don't like many things-for me. Others may and have the right to do so. Now, if we wish to pass laws that say women must wear dresses 5 inches above or below knees? Cant' legislate such or we lose the freedoms. As for public nudity, which is illegal mostly in US, that could change, no?

10. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    Should I come to your house and tell you what I THINK you need to wear? It's fucking retarded for little france boy to pretend that burka wearing women DONT WANT TO WEAR THEM. Hell, do you think pentecostals and amish are forced to abide by their subculture? Hell no. The only reason this becomes news is because it's a slight against muslim culture.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1