Sarah Palin pallin around with secessionists

No, actually they don't. That was settled over a hundred years ago.

The founding fathers created a system of federalism to protect the rights of the state from a tyrannical federal government. These United States are sovereign.

Connecticut State Assembly said:
... it must not be forgotten that the state of Connecticut is a free sovereign and independent State; that the United States are a confederated and not a consolidated Republic.

New England states even held a convention in 1814 to decide whether they should secede, which they ultimately decided against. It was not questioned whether they had the right to do so, but whether it would be in their best interest to do so. I'd also urge you to look up Thomas Jefferson's Kentucky Resolve of 1798.

"Resolved, that the several States composing the United States of America, are not united on the principles of unlimited submission to their General Government..."

The founding fathers created a system of federalism to protect the rights of the state from a tyrannical federal government. These United States are sovereign.

Umm, no, actually they aren't sovereign. This is why federal statutes over-rule state statutes.

New England states even held a convention in 1814 to decide whether they should secede, which they ultimately decided against. It was not questioned whether they had the right to do so, but whether it would be in their best interest to do so. I'd also urge you to look up Thomas Jefferson's Kentucky Resolve of 1798.

"Resolved, that the several States composing the United States of America, are not united on the principles of unlimited submission to their General Government..."

I refer you to the Civil war, when states did try to succeed, and got beaten down for it.

Yes, God forbid states try to succeed.

Really? This is what you've come to? Picking on, not even spelling errors, but slips of the tongue (or finger I suppose).

I do this in between reading cases. I have enough editing to do without making sure I haven't made errors here so as to not upset whiny bitches like you.

Umm, no, actually they aren't sovereign. This is why federal statutes over-rule state statutes.

I refer you to the Civil war, when states did try to succeed, and got beaten down for it.

Not always true. In 1807 President Jefferson announced a shipping embargo that would have been horrible for the New England economy. They therefore formally nullified the embargo.

"Federalism, instituted to enable the federal government to check oppressions by the government of the states, and vice versa, appears to be a supreme principal of the Constitution." - Gottfried Dietze

The Civil War was unjust, on Lincoln's side, and destroyed States' Rights. It made the federal government think that it was the only "body" that could check it's powers, and it, of course, has decided that there are essentially no limits to it's own power.

Not always true. In 1807 President Jefferson announced a shipping embargo that would have been horrible for the New England economy. They therefore formally nullified the embargo.

"Federalism, instituted to enable the federal government to check oppressions by the government of the states, and vice versa, appears to be a supreme principal of the Constitution." - Gottfried Dietze

The Civil War was unjust, on Lincoln's side, and destroyed States' Rights. It made the federal government think that it was the only "body" that could check it's powers, and it, of course, has decided that there are essentially no limits to it's own power.

Actually the Founders knew that giving the federal government ultimate power could pose problems. They gave the states two checks: The electoral college and the Senate. Both have been effectively nullified, with the states willing consent.

But the states nullifying their own power to check the feds, doesn't mean the feds somehow don't have the supreme power in this country.

I'm sorry but you all do know the only thing to this day that hinders a state from trying to succeed is a post civil war supreme court decision? Texas v. White. That decision was based mainly on the Articles of Confederation and not the Constitution. However, constitutionally speaking, there is really nothing in the constitution that would prevent a state from trying to succeed.
Texas v. White, 74 U.S. 700 (1869) was a significant case argued before the United States Supreme Court in 1869. The Court held in a 5–3 decision that Texas had remained a state of the United States ever since it first joined the Union, despite its joining the Confederate States of America and its being under military rule at the time of the decision in the case. It further held that the Constitution did not permit states to secede from the United States, and that the ordinances of secession, and all the acts of the legislatures within seceding states intended to give effect to such ordinances, were "absolutely null".

The main rationale for the argument that states could not legally secede was derived from the Articles of Confederation's description of the American Union as perpetual. This, combined with the current Constitution's expressed goal of creating a more perfect Union, suggested that the United States was now more perfectly perpetual. Also cited was the statement in Article Four of the United States Constitution that "The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government." This implies that Texas would always be a state, distinct from its government (since the Constitution refers to a state as having a government rather than being a government). This also suggested that the Constitution could work to ensure states remain intact and to regulate state governments. As the Court wrote, "The Constitution, in all its provisions, looks to an indestructible Union, composed of indestructible States." Hence Texas would still be a state even when laws are passed saying it is independent. Such laws would be "absolutely null."

Texas v. White - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for the assertion that ALL federal laws superceed state laws thats not true.

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people. 10th Amendment

. In 1992, in New York v. United States, 505 U.S. 144 (1992), for only the second time in 55 years, the Supreme Court invalidated a portion of a federal law for violating the Tenth Amendment. The case challenged a portion of the Low-Level Radioactive Waste Policy Amendments Act of 1985. The act provided three incentives for states to comply with statutory obligations to provide for the disposal of low-level radioactive waste.

Basically, the founders of our nation and the Lincoln administration had very different ideas about States' Rights. I, personally, think that the founders would be the ones to listen to when it came to matters of what was Constitutional.

the biggest blunder that most here are making is that the AIP doesn't want to secede
they want the state to have the vote they claim never happened in 1959

Wrong, Todd Palin left the AIP because they wanted secession.

Highly doubt it. I'm sure Todd understands the definition of 'Independence'. Besides, independence is a lot less ambiguous than 'sexual relations'. :D

Basically, the founders of our nation and the Lincoln administration had very different ideas about States' Rights. I, personally, think that the founders would be the ones to listen to when it came to matters of what was Constitutional.

The court's opinion was authored by Chief Justice Salmon Chase, himself a former cabinet member under Abraham Lincoln and leading figure in the Union government during the American Civil War. Based on his previous position, many southerners questioned Chase's impartiality and believed he should have recused himself from the decision**

History would support that arguement too Kevin. The Lincoln Administration believed that the Union was absolute and it seems pretty clear that the founders had a different notion. Actually the Tenth Amendment was a reword of the same thing from the Articles of Confederation and was insisted upon by the framers of the constitution.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eniG9l_7its&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eniG9l_7its&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

:cuckoo:

So not only did Sarah Palin's husband belong to the AIP for years, but Sarah herself actively courted them, and congratulated them for their "good work".

In addition to the treasonous, anti-american statements the founder of the AIP had made, the AIP actively worked with Iran to embarrass the United States.

You read that right. AIP has ties to Iran.

[AIP's founder Joe] Vogler's greatest moment of glory was to be his 1993 appearance before the United Nations to denounce United States "tyranny" before the entire world and to demand Alaska's freedom. The Alaska secessionist had persuaded the government of Iran to sponsor his anti-American harangue.

That's right ... Iran. The Islamic dictatorship. The taker of American hostages. The rogue nation that McCain and Palin have excoriated Obama for suggesting we diplomatically engage. That Iran.

The Palins' un-American activities | Salon

Sarah Palin's ties to AIP and Iran at least as troubling as Ayers.

Let the rightwing outrage against Palin begin.

Or not. I say the faux outrage about Ayers, is nothing more than Bush-loving partisan hackery.

Really? So as a registered Independent voter, I want to secede from the Union?

It's Alaska Independence Party - after attending more than one of their meetings, I'm sure Todd Palin knew what he was signing up for. You can't spin it any other way.

Just how far up your @ss is McCain's dick?

They're called the Alaska Independence Party. Not "indepedent" party.

You can't be this dumb.

Unless you're simply a pathological liar.
Haven't you noticed that jsanders makes a gurgling noise when he talks? That's far up his ass McCain is...:eek:

One wonders if jsanders agrees with the goals of the AIP.

Really? Treason is ok?

Prove Treason. Remember WORDS have meaning. Provide evidence that the LEGAL political party in Alaska is committing or has committed treason. I won't hold my breath waiting for the evidence though.

I on the other hand CAN prove Obama associates with known TERRORISTS and supporters of Terrorists. I can prove that for 20 YEARS he belonged to a church that preached hatred and racism. That for those 20 years he called the pastor a close personal family friend, an Uncle Figure, a Father figure, he hired him as his Campaign spiritual advisor.

Forum List

Back