Sarah Palin on Paul Revere

Discussion in 'History' started by George Costanza, Jun 11, 2011.

1. George Costanza

George Costanza A Friendly Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    I looked for a thread on this and did not find one. I can't imagine that no one commented on this - if they did, my apologies for a duplicate thread. OK, let's get started . . .

There seems to be no end to it. Earlier this month, Sarah was in Boston as part of her "I'm not running for President" national tour in her "Look at Me! I'm Running for PRESIDENT!" bus. But I digress . . . At the end of her exposure to Boston, she was asked by a reporter "what have you seen and what will you take away with you from your visit?"

I don't make this stuff up. This is a direct quote.

Let's give Sarah the benefit of the doubt. She defends this quote as being historically accurate. Right Wing apologists flock to shore up this claim. OK - let's say that by some far-fetched interpretation of history, what Sarah has to say here might have some semblance of historical accuracy somewhere, somehow. Even so - the garbled grouping of words that came out of her mouth in response to this simple question of "what did you see and what will you take with you from your visit here?" is not even worthy of a third grader trying to explain why they like their morning bowl of Cheerios.

And this is the person many on the Right are touting for the Oval Office? OK . . .

Note also, that in attempting to defend herself against her own remarks, Palin pointed out that her answer was given in response to a "gotcha" question, implying that "gotcha" questions are the only type of questions she ever gets from the media. "What did you see and what will you take with you from your visit?" can hardly be classified as a "gotcha" question.

How Accurate Were Palin's Paul Revere Comments? : NPR

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Tank

Tank Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    She couldn't be any worse then today's president

3. George Costanza

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    Thank you for your opinion, but comparing President Obama's intelligence, educational accomplishments and intellectual level to Sarah Palin's is not, I would suggest, a place where you are well advised to go.

4. Tank

Tank Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    57 states?

5. George Costanza

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    DEFLECTION ALERT! DEFLECTION ALERT!!!!! :eek:

6. George Costanza

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    And (in passing) let's just assume for sake of (obviously incorrect) argument that your statement here is true - then we don't want either one of them anywhere near the White House, right?

7. oldsalt

oldsalt Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I think no one has commented on this much, because we've become accustomed to the ever present drivel she spews....Ok, drivel when it's not vitriol......

8. George Costanza

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    You are probably right. I first saw in on "The Daily Show." You can imagine the fun Jon Steward had with it. I couldn't resist.

I suspect it will not get much activity now, because it is a bit of old news, but mainly because Palin is becoming harder and harder for the Right to justify on any rational basis.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  9. flacaltenn

flacaltenn USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,482
    George Constanza:

Not far fetched George.. How about the after-battle from Brit Gen Gage himself describing the events.
    OK -- so let's get an OFFICIAL report...

""teachingamericanhistory.org/l...p?document=865???""" I'm a newbie and not allowed to post links.
    Pay no attention EVEN to the OFFICIAL press people who I see making statements like Revere was on "covert mission" and didn't want to "warn the enemy with which were at war". Therefore there was no bell-ringing or firing of shots. Now there's an IMBECILE. We were at war?

Once Adams was warned, the mission became to assemble the militia and ringing bells was part of that.. Note that Revere was detained by the British regulars right up until the encounter on the Green. And during that detainment and questioniing HE DID warn the British of the readiness of the colonists to defend their arms.. Historical FUNCTIONALLY CORRECT..

However: I'm not pointing any of this obvious crap out to you because I adore her. She BABBLES way too much to be a leader. And to put in the words of one leftist historian who had to begrudgingly acknowledge her accuracy (paraphrasing) "she dumped out a random pile of words, which accidentally fell on some historical facts." That about sums it up.. I don't want to see any more LYNCH MOBS after this clown...

10. American Horse

American Horse AKA "Mustang"

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +938
    Here's what I got from your link and an understanding of history:

Professor ROBERT ALLISON - Chairman, History Department, Suffolk University, Boston Mass:

Revere isn't trying to alert the British, but he is trying to warn them. And in April of 1775, no one was talking about independence. We're still part of the British Empire. We're trying to save it. So this is a warning to the British Empire what will happen if you provoke Americans.

BLOCK:Sarah Palin also was saying there that Paul Revere's message to the British in his warning was: You're not going to take American arms - you know, basically a Second Amendment argument, even though the Second Amendment didn't exist then.

Prof. ALLISON: Yeah. She was making a Second Amendment case. But in fact, the British were going out to Concord to seize colonists' arms, the weapons that the Massachusetts Provincial Congress was stockpiling there.

NPR - How Accurate Were Palin's Paul Revere Comments?

Wiki - Paul Revere - Midnight Ride

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011