Sarah Palin Not First Choice for 90+% of Educated Republicans

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
Generally, the more education a Republican has, the less likely they are to support Ms. Palin to lead the Republican Party.

Three recent surveys of Republican primary voters suggest significant divides in support for Ms. Palin based on the educational attainment of the voter. A poll released this morning by Marist College show Ms. Palin as the first choice of 17 percent of Republicans who have not graduated from college, giving her a slight lead among that group. But her support is just 7 percent among Republican college graduates, which placed her fifth behind Mitt Romney, Mike Huckabee, Newt Gingirch and Chris Christie.

A Quinnipiac poll, likewise, finds Ms. Palin with the support of 22 percent of Republicans who have not graduated from college, but of 10 percent of those who have. A CNN poll, meanwhile — using a slightly different criterion that focuses on whether voters attended college, whether or not they graduated from it — finds Ms. Palin drawing 20 percent of Republican voters who haven’t attended college, but only 9 percent of those who have.

gopcollege.png

Palin Draws Limited Support Among College-Educated Republicans - NYTimes.com

If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on Romney winning the nomination in 2012. Christie would be a fascinating choice as well.

Generally, the more education a Republican has, the less likely they are to support Ms. Palin to lead the Republican Party.

Three recent surveys of Republican primary voters suggest significant divides in support for Ms. Palin based on the educational attainment of the voter. A poll released this morning by Marist College show Ms. Palin as the first choice of 17 percent of Republicans who have not graduated from college, giving her a slight lead among that group. But her support is just 7 percent among Republican college graduates, which placed her fifth behind Mitt Romney, Mike Huckabee, Newt Gingirch and Chris Christie.

A Quinnipiac poll, likewise, finds Ms. Palin with the support of 22 percent of Republicans who have not graduated from college, but of 10 percent of those who have. A CNN poll, meanwhile — using a slightly different criterion that focuses on whether voters attended college, whether or not they graduated from it — finds Ms. Palin drawing 20 percent of Republican voters who haven’t attended college, but only 9 percent of those who have.

gopcollege.png

Palin Draws Limited Support Among College-Educated Republicans - NYTimes.com

If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on Romney winning the nomination in 2012. Christie would be a fascinating choice as well.

Fortunately for Palin, that's only about "6%" of the party.:dance:

:lol::cuckoo:

why not just make it 100% of those Edumacated Republicans?

good grief...and HELL no to Romney.

COOPER: From a nonpartisan perspective, David, I mean clearly she has energized a core conservative base, but she has certainly also energized Democrats against her and McCain and clearly now it seems like some conservatives, I mean some conservatives Peggy Noonan and others, kind of rethinking.

GERGEN: I agree with that. I think that Bay is absolutely right. She did enormous good for John McCain early on. But increasingly her positives are going down, her negatives are going up. They're higher than her positives now. And she is rallying other people outside of the base of the Republican Party to support Obama.

And they think that she's a very risky choice. So you know, from that point of view -- and also I have been surprised by the number of conservative columnists, like George Will and Peggy Noonan, David Brooks today in the "New York Times" talking about Obama's temperament, how well suited he was and how impressed he was.

There are a number of conservative intellectuals who have really come the other way. It's been quite, quite interesting.

BUCHANAN: You hit it on the nose. Intellectuals, intellectuals, they aren't the ones that are in there and fighting for our causes. You know, those who really know about this Republican Party and about the conservative cause --

COOPER: Intellectual is a dirty word now?

BUCHANAN: They are fully, fully behind Palin. And to suggest her ratings are up, her negatives are up, that's her job. She's the attack dog, for heaven's sakes.

CNN.com - Transcripts

Intellectuals NOT WANTED in the Republican Party.

Don't believe Romney will go very far.

Christie is the person to beat.

My first choice isn't even on the list

I like Christie. I am not sure about Romney yet....need to study on him. Huckabee is a hater, not supporting him.

Interesting Op, Toro. It's my contention the GOP is a bad fit for people without much clear idea about fiscal policy and with strong desires to carry on a "socially conservative" agenda.

Many Americans, a vocal and varied segment of the public at large, have now convinced themselves that educated elites—politicians, bureaucrats, reporters, but also doctors, scientists, even schoolteachers—are controlling our lives. And they want them to stop. They say they are tired of being told what counts as news or what they should think about global warming; tired of being told what their children should be taught, how much of their paychecks they get to keep, whether to insure themselves, which medicines they can have, where they can build their homes, which guns they can buy, when they have to wear seatbelts and helmets, whether they can talk on the phone while driving, which foods they can eat, how much soda they can drink…the list is long. But it is not a list of political grievances in the conventional sense.

Historically, populist movements use the rhetoric of class solidarity to seize political power so that “the people” can exercise it for their common benefit. American populist rhetoric does something altogether different today. It fires up emotions by appealing to individual opinion, individual autonomy, and individual choice, all in the service of neutralizing, not using, political power. It gives voice to those who feel they are being bullied, but this voice has only one, Garbo-like thing to say: I want to be left alone.

A new strain of populism is metastasizing before our eyes, nourished by the same libertarian impulses that have unsettled American society for half a century now. Anarchistic like the Sixties, selfish like the Eighties, contradicting neither, it is estranged, aimless, and as juvenile as our new century. It appeals to petulant individuals convinced that they can do everything themselves if they are only left alone, and that others are conspiring to keep them from doing just that. This is the one threat that will bring Americans into the streets.

Welcome to the politics of the libertarian mob.

The Tea Party Jacobins by Mark Lilla | The New York Review of Books

Last edited:
Palin is a populist creation. She could be totally clueless but still provide better leadership than Obama which isn't saying much, but yes, she does come across as a complete retard. Makes me wonder how the short bus ever got to her house with that much snow on the ground.

:lol::cuckoo:

why not just make it 100% of those Edumacated Republicans?

I'm sure she's working on it.

From the link...

... One potential problem for Ms. Palin, however, is that plenty of well-to-do and well-educated voters — those whom we might think of as belonging to the elite — will be participating in the Republican primaries. ...

Nevertheless, all else being equal, a candidate would usually prefer to do better among higher-status voters, because they vote more reliably in Presidential primaries. According to exit polls in 2008, for instance, the fraction of Republican primary voters who make at least $50,000 per year was 75 percent in New Hampshire, 74 percent in Nevada and Texas, 72 percent in California and South Carolina, and 71 percent in Florida. It was somewhat lower, between 62 and 68 percent, in three key Midwestern states — Iowa, Michigan and Ohio — in which Ms. Palin will probably have to perform well to have a realistic shot at winning the nomination.

Ooooooh, too bad, so sad.

If you think "intellectuals" are always a good thing then you got to get your head checked. Those "intellectuals" are AKA "Elitists" are absorbed into their own little word. They ideas and policies are often just put on paper and "sound" and "feel" good.

I would rather have a bunch of schmoes in my party then a bunch of elitists.

If you think "intellectuals" are always a good thing then you got to get your head checked. Those "intellectuals" are AKA "Elitists" are absorbed into their own little word. They ideas and policies are often just put on paper and "sound" and "feel" good.

I would rather have a bunch of schmoes in my party then a bunch of elitists.

i'm sure you'll get your wish.

Don't believe Romney will go very far.

Christie is the person to beat.

My first choice isn't even on the list

Christie is on the record as saying he will not run in 2012.

Gov. Chris Christie tells Ohio crowd he will not run for president | NJ.com

Who is your first choice, Baruck?

Senator Obama won’t run in 2008 Elect Jeff

:eusa_whistle:
Christie needs more than 2 years on the job before i would vote for him on a national ticket
Barbour just doesnt have the name recognition

Forum List

Back