Sarah and Trig on the Campaign Trail

Discussion in 'Congress' started by random3434, Oct 14, 2008.

1. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    I just watched NBC Nightly News, and they did a piece on Sarah Palin and Trig on the campaign trail. Some thoughts are that's good~she's getting the word out about Down Syndrome while others think she's using him for her own political gain.

I'm torn, because the more people are aware the better, but then again, isn't 6 months a tad to young to be on the campaign trail? I know she needs to be with her kids, but they don't need to always be on stage with her, do they?

Here is someone's thoughts about it, they make some good points.

Sarah Palin Is Exploiting Trig, Her Baby With Down Syndrome

2. Valerie

Valerie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,295
    I'm going to give Sarah Palin the benefit of the doubt and say I do not believe she is exploiting her child. She merely wants to be as near to her baby as she can at all times, as any mother would. Of course the media does what it does, and we all know what that means. Seems like with some people, she's damned if she does and she's damned if she doesn't.

3. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Agreed--the life of a politician. She's been around long enough to know she can't avoid the criticism.

4. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194

See, that's why I'm torn. I couldn't stand being away from my daughter when she was younger at all! (now, she could be gone for a week and I'd be yelling "woo hoo!" :tongue: )

It's a Catch 22 imo.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    She's using the kids. She dressed up Piper in that Flyers jersey thinking the Philly crowd wouldn't boo her. She thought incorrect and said later "Why are they booing Piper?"

I would hope these kids are being taught what they should be learning in school on the campaign trail, but you notice Barack Obama rarely has his kids at rallies of any sort.

6. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,310
    I was listening to cspan weeks ago, right after the republican convention during their call in period and a woman in a similar circumstance thought it horrible that Palin was parading around with the baby. Her words were the child required care, support and love not display and wasn't a trophy of some sort.

7. driveby

driveby Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,325
    Well i would like to thank you and cspan for this information. Because you both indeed know that this child was not receiving care, support or love from its mother...... :clap2:

8. Modbert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    Palin does treat it as such. "I have a down syndrome baby so vote for Mavericky and me!"

Honestly, I feel a bit bad for the kid because I can't imagine the life that trig will go through (never mind having the name trig).

Though hey, if that is her kid then waiting hours after her water broke to give a speech, flying from Texas to I believe California/Washington and then to Alaska just to have the kid is up on the list of "Pretty fucking stupid ideas".

9. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,779
    There ain't no low too low for a liberal again. Now we're back to the kids. We don't talk about kids but we are back to the kids.. Tsk tsk tsk.

10. Modbert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    She can love the kid but still treat it as a trophy prop.

Obama is smart and keeps his kids off the campaign trail for the most part. I can't recall the last time I saw them at a event with him.