Sapiens

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
It is now being discussed that were as many as six different human species inhabiting Earth about 10,000 years ago. The explanations for most of their disappearances range from extermination to assimilation. I wonder how these explanations correlate with the development of the distinct geographical population groups we have today. Are these differences due more to local environmental factors or to differing genetic contributions from the past?

It is now being discussed that were as many as six different human species inhabiting Earth about 10,000 years ago. The explanations for most of their disappearances range from extermination to assimilation. I wonder how these explanations correlate with the development of the distinct geographical population groups we have today. Are these differences due more to local environmental factors or to differing genetic contributions from the past?
I would believe 1,000,000 to 100,000 years ago but 10,000 seems too recent for multiple species, I'd expect much more evidence if that were true. Multiple cultures, that I'd buy.

Where is that being discussed. Which conspiracy site is pushing that silly thought this week?

Well we know through genetics that sub Saharan Africans have no Neanderthal component to their DNA structure. And Europeans do. Asians have a denisovan component which sub Saharan Africans also lack. So there’s two species for sure that we know mankind has bred with. And it stuck. We European, and Asians still perpetuate their/our DNA to this day...

Well we know through genetics that sub Saharan Africans have no Neanderthal component to their DNA structure. And Europeans do. Asians have a denisovan component which sub Saharan Africans also lack. So there’s two species for sure that we know mankind has bred with. And it stuck. We European, and Asians still perpetuate their/our DNA to this day...

So some nut bag wrote a book espousing that claim. Amazon has a couple thousand books claiming the earth is flat. That doesn't make it less crazy
Nor is skepticism, and straw-manning sufficient to disprove an assertion. Care to make one of your own?

I didn't start this goofy thread, and have no obligation to espouse any theory other than the generally accepted one. 10,000 years is no where near enough time for 10 species to blend into one.Somebody has been listening to too much Alex Jones.

So some nut bag wrote a book espousing that claim. Amazon has a couple thousand books claiming the earth is flat. That doesn't make it less crazy
Nor is skepticism, and straw-manning sufficient to disprove an assertion. Care to make one of your own?

I didn't start this goofy thread, and have no obligation to espouse any theory other than the generally accepted one. 10,000 years is no where near enough time for 10 species to blend into one.Somebody has been listening to too much Alex Jones.
Is it enough time for one species to wipe out, and absorb the remnants of the others?

This is typical BULLDOG: Zero content mixed with hostility and resentment.

I prefer my sapiens ... homo.

harry-bliss-caveman-mate-selection.jpg

From Sapiens:

Humans first evolved in East Africa about 2.5 million years ago from an earlier genus of apes called Australopithecus, which means ‘Southern Ape’. About 2 million years ago, some of these archaic men and women left their homeland to journey through and settle vast areas of North Africa, Europe and Asia. Since survival in the snowy forests of northern Europe required different traits than those needed to stay alive in Indonesia’s steaming jungles, human populations evolved in different directions. The result was several distinct species, to each of which scientists have assigned a pompous Latin name. Our siblings, according to speculative reconstructions (left to right):Homo rudolfensis (East Africa);Homo erectus (East Asia); and Homo neanderthalensis (Europe and western Asia). All are humans.Humans in Europe and western Asia evolved into Homo neanderthalensis (‘Manfrom the Neander Valley), popularly referred to simply as ‘Neanderthals’.Neanderthals, bulkier and more muscular than us Sapiens, were well adapted to the cold climate of Ice Age western Eurasia. The more eastern regions of Asia were populated by Homo erectus, ‘Upright Man’, who survived there for close to 2million years, making it the most durable human species ever. This record is unlikely to be broken even by our own species. It is doubtful whether Homosapiens will still be around a thousand years from now, so 2 million years is really out of our league.On the island of Java, in Indonesia, lived Homo soloensis, ‘Man from the Solo Valley’, who was suited to life in the tropics. On another Indonesian island – the small island of Flores – archaic humans underwent a process of dwarfing. Humansɹrst reached Flores when the sea level was exceptionally low, and the island was easily accessible from the mainland. When the seas rose again, some people were trapped on the island, which was poor in resources. Big people, who need a lot of food, died ɹrst. Smaller fellows survived much better. Over the generations, the people of Flores became dwarves. This unique species, known by scientists as Homo floresiensis, reached a maximum height of only one meter and weighed no more than twenty-ɹve kilograms. They were nevertheless able to produce stone tools, and even managed occasionally to hunt down some of the island’s elephants– though, to be fair, the elephants were a dwarf species as well.In 2010 another lost sibling was rescued from oblivion, when scientists excavating the Denisova Cave in Siberia discovered a fossilized finger bone.Genetic analysis proved that the ɹnger belonged to a previously unknown human species, which was named Homo denisova. Who knows how many lost relatives of ours are waiting to be discovered in other caves, on other islands, and in other climes.While these humans were evolving in Europe and Asia, evolution in East Africa did not stop. The cradle of humanity continued to nurture numerous new species,such as Homo rudolfensis, ‘Man from Lake Rudolf’, Homo ergaster, ‘Working Man’,and eventually our own species, which we’ve immodestly named Homo sapiens,‘Wise Man’. The members of some of these species were massive and others were dwarves.Some were fearsome hunters and others meek plant-gatherers. Some lived only on a single island, while many roamed over continents. But all of them belonged to the genus Homo. They were all human beings.It’s a common fallacy to envision these species as arranged in a straight line of descent, with Ergaster begetting Erectus, Erectus begetting the Neanderthals, and the Neanderthals evolving into us. This linear model gives the mistaken impression that at any particular moment only one type of human inhabited the earth, and that all earlier species were merely older models of ourselves. The truth is that from about 2 million years ago until around 10,000 years ago, the world was home, at one and the same time, to several human species

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back