Santorum says he does not believe in Separation of Church and State

oreo

Gold Member
Sep 15, 2008
rocky mountains
While all the hooplaw about Rick Santorum--there are some very troubling problems with this candidate--on many of the things he has stated--and it's not only about States being able to ban birth control contraceptives, and banning sonograms for pregnant women. There's a lot more here than just that.

1. Santorum states he does not believe in the separation of Church and State.
Republican presidential hopeful Rick Santorum said that he doesn't believe in the separation of church and state, saying that he nearly got sick while reading a speech about the subject once said by President John F. Kennedy.'I almost threw up,' Mr Santorum said when talking about the speech during an interview this morning.
Rick Santorum 'almost threw up' when reading JFK's speech about the need for a separation between church and state | Mail Online

2. Santorum on record for stating that Protestants have lost their Christianity.
On today’s Up with Chris Hayes, the host unveiled a 2008 talk by Rick Santorum that could possibly be the only thing to make him lose the American religious vote: one in which he condemns “mainline protestantism,” of all things, and claims it is now “gone from the world of Christianity.” Needless to say, these sorts of words coming from a Catholic cannot inspire confidence in the sort of voter that looked askance at John F. Kennedy for being a Papist.

The speech is from a 2008 event at Ave Maria College in Florida, where Santorum notes that America was founded upon a Christian philosophy but “the Judeo-Christian ethic was a Protestant one.” “We look at the shape of mainline protestantism in this country and it is in shambles, it is gone from the world of Christianity as I see it,” he concludes.
Chris Hayes Digs Up 2008 Santorum Speech Stating Protestants Are ‘Gone From The World Of Christianity’ | Mediaite

3. Santorum states that States have the "right" to ban birth control contraceptives.
Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum, whose strong base of evangelical Christian supporters has thrust him into contention in Iowa, said on Monday that he believes states should have the right to outlaw birth control and sodomy without the interference of the Supreme Court.

In an interview with Jake Tapper on ABC News, Santorum reiterated his opposition to the Supreme Court’s 1965 ruling that prevented Connecticut from banning contraception.

“The state has a right to do that, I have never questioned that the state has a right to do that," he said. "It is not a constitutional right. The state has the right to pass whatever statutes they have. That's the thing I have said about the activism of the Supreme Court--they are creating rights, and it should be left up to the people to decide."
Rick Santorum: States Should Have Power To Ban Birth Control, Sodomy

Now for you Santorum supporters: Do you really believe that a person like this-- One who does not understand nor respect the U.S. Constitution--and one who has stated that he does not believe in the Separation of Church and State and one who does not respect the religious freedoms and rights of others--is really capable of leading this country? Do you really believe that he is capable of defeating Barack Obama with these EXTREME social views?

Obama will mop the floor with Rick Santorum. Women, including conservative women and independents will be running into those voting booths to vote for Barack Obama.

Remember we are not voting for a 16th century Catholic priest--we're voting for the leader of the free world that has to keep his/her personal religious beliefs out of decisions--and Rick Santorum is not capable of doing that. Furthermore, his actual voting record and earmark record is not even close to being conservative. He has a very big spending and earmark record.

So think again before you cast that vote.

cath-lives-9.gif

Last edited:
After having a leader for the past three years that rules in accordance with his own religious beliefs a change might be refreshing.

After having a leader for the past three years that rules in accordance with his own religious beliefs a change might be refreshing.

I am not going to be RULED by the Catholic Church--coming from Santorum's 15th century mindset.

I have my own religion and demand from a POTUS that he/she respects my right to that. Rick Santorum doesn't. I believe as the constitution stated as written by our forefathers that there is "separation between church and state"--& Santorum is on record stating the opposite.

It's noted that even Catholics are NOT even voting for Santorum because he is too EXTREME on social issues. That should give you some type of clue.
Mitt Romney Trouncing Rick Santorum Among Catholics

You might want to actually READ links and past statements before you reply again. I gave you 3 links you didn't even bother to read.

Last edited:
While all the hooplaw about Rick Santorum--there are some very troubling problems with this candidate--on many of the things he has stated--and it's not only about States being able to ban birth control contraceptives, and banning sonograms for pregnant women. There's a lot more here than just that.

Republican presidential hopeful Rick Santorum said that he doesn't believe in the separation of church and state, saying that he nearly got sick while reading a speech about the subject once said by President John F. Kennedy.'I almost threw up,' Mr Santorum said when talking about the speech during an interview this morning.
Rick Santorum 'almost threw up' when reading JFK's speech about the need for a separation between church and state | Mail Online

2. Santorum on record for stating that Protestants have lost their Christianity.
On today’s Up with Chris Hayes, the host unveiled a 2008 talk by Rick Santorum that could possibly be the only thing to make him lose the American religious vote: one in which he condemns “mainline protestantism,” of all things, and claims it is now “gone from the world of Christianity.” Needless to say, these sorts of words coming from a Catholic cannot inspire confidence in the sort of voter that looked askance at John F. Kennedy for being a Papist.

The speech is from a 2008 event at Ave Maria College in Florida, where Santorum notes that America was founded upon a Christian philosophy but “the Judeo-Christian ethic was a Protestant one.” “We look at the shape of mainline protestantism in this country and it is in shambles, it is gone from the world of Christianity as I see it,” he concludes.
Chris Hayes Digs Up 2008 Santorum Speech Stating Protestants Are ‘Gone From The World Of Christianity’ | Mediaite

3. Santorum states that States have the "right" to ban birth control contraceptives.
Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum, whose strong base of evangelical Christian supporters has thrust him into contention in Iowa, said on Monday that he believes states should have the right to outlaw birth control and sodomy without the interference of the Supreme Court.

In an interview with Jake Tapper on ABC News, Santorum reiterated his opposition to the Supreme Court’s 1965 ruling that prevented Connecticut from banning contraception.

“The state has a right to do that, I have never questioned that the state has a right to do that," he said. "It is not a constitutional right. The state has the right to pass whatever statutes they have. That's the thing I have said about the activism of the Supreme Court--they are creating rights, and it should be left up to the people to decide."

Now for you Santorum supporters: Do you really believe that a person like this-- One who does not understand nor respect the U.S. Constitution--and one who has stated that he does not believe in the Separation of Church and State and one who does not respect the religious freedoms and rights of others--is really capable of leading this country? Do you really believe that he is capable of defeating Barack Obama with these EXTREME social views?

Obama will mop the floor with Rick Santorum. Women, including conservative women and independents will be running into those voting booths to vote for Barack Obama.

Remember we are not voting for a 16th century Catholic priest--we're voting for the leader of the free world that has to keep his/her personal religious beliefs out of decisions--and Rick Santorum is not capable of doing that. Furthermore, his actual voting record and earmark record is not even close to being conservative. He has a very big spending and earmark record.

cath-lives-9.gif
Good, he just earned my vote. He knows the truth.

Oh bullshit.

I get so sick of these idiotic lies. If you had to stick to the truth, you would have nothing to say.

(Feel free to post PROOF of your words... And, no, I won't be holding my breathe.)

cath-lives-9.gif
Good, he just earned my vote. He knows the truth.

You wouldn't know the "truth" if it came up and sat on your foot.

The problem is: he’s not alone.

Yeah. he has all those people who believe in that Pesky constitution with him.

I think you meant to say "doesn't believe in that Pesky constitution."?

We know Obama doesn't.
t. We know You don't believe in Unalienable Right's either.
Isn't that enough to disqualify either of You from holding Office. Your Oath, like Obama's, is worthless. Why go deeper? There is no need.

Santorum said he also opposes the Supreme Court's 2003 Lawrence v. Texas decision striking down a ban on sodomy in Texas and 13 other states. Even though he would not personally vote for a ban on sodomy, he said, he thinks states should legally be able to pass them, because sodomy is not a constitutionally protected right.

"I thought that law was an improper law ... but that doesn't mean the state doesn’t have a right to do that," he said.

It’s impossible to determine what on earth Santorum is talking about.

Lawrence had nothing to do with determining whether or not ‘sodomy’ was a ‘constitutionally protected right,’ it’s not – and no one ever said it was.

Lawrence concerned the 14th Amendment’s Due Process Clause:

We conclude the case should be resolved by determining whether the petitioners were free as adults to engage in the private conduct in the exercise of their liberty under the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution.

LAWRENCE V. TEXAS

Santorum must be so blinded by hate and ignorance he’s either never read the ruling or, if he has, he’s incapable of understanding it.

So you are arguing that Lawrence v Texas, a case specifically heard to address sodomy laws, has absolutely nothing to do with sodomy laws being unconstitutional?

Yeah. he has all those people who believe in that Pesky constitution with him.

No. I meant what I said. I find it completely convenient that people completely ignore what the First Amendment actually says and prefer to pretend it says something completely different.

lol... And people wonder why this country is falling apart.

No. I meant what I said. I find it completely convenient that people completely ignore what the First Amendment actually says and prefer to pretend it says something completely different.

You do realize that Separation of Church and State is a Biblical Concept, championed by John Locke, applied in the Magna Carta, before the US even came into being, and relates more directly to Dogma, than Principle Teachings of Right and Wrong, Just and Unjust. Could it be that it is you that is lacking in perspective here?

This is like the General welfare clause for liberals, it causes all kinds of problems and neither side has a fucking clue what they are talking about. Its so fucking clear that the FF even wrote about it after the fact.

You do realize that Separation of Church and State is a Biblical Concept, championed by John Locke, applied in the Magna Carta, before the US even came into being, and relates more directly to Dogma, than Principle Teachings of Right and Wrong, Just and Unjust. Could it be that it is you that is lacking in perspective here?

I look at the constitution for the answer, it's in the first amendment.

Forum List

Back