Santorum, on Personal Liberty (he doesn't like it!)

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
Rick Santorum, Christianist Frontrunner? - The Dish | By Andrew Sullivan - The Daily Beast

He is easily the politician most hostile to individual liberty on the right. He believes states have every right to ban contraception, all abortion, and any legal protections for gay couples. He disavows any secular, Enlightenent view of America's founding. For him, freedom only counts if you adhere to the current fundamentalist rigidity of the Benedict XVI church. I've cited this before, but here he is on freedom:

This whole idea of personal autonomy, well I don’t think most conservatives hold that point of view. Some do. They have this idea that people should be left alone, be able to do whatever they want to do, government should keep our taxes down and keep our regulations low, that we shouldn’t get involved in the bedroom, we shouldn’t get involved in cultural issues. You know, people should do whatever they want. Well, that is not how traditional conservatives view the world and I think most conservatives understand that individuals can’t go it alone. That there is no such society that I am aware of, where we’ve had radical individualism and that it succeeds as a culture.

Notice he explicitly cites the bedroom as the place where big government can intervene. If you are not reproducing as the Vatican demands, legal penalties are in principle possible. There is no public-private distinction. His mentor, Robbie George, takes the view that in principle, the state also has the right to penalize masturbation with criminal penalties, a position flushed out of him in the Prop 2 trial in Colorado. The only reason the two would not actively prosecute gay couples for having sex or straight couples for using condoms is for prudential reasons: it's not practical. But in theory, they'd have the Catholic church's most reactionary elements dictating your freedoms.

If you believe in individual freedom, this country has no greater opponent than Rick Santorum. And for three years, the GOP has tried to tell us that the Tea Party was about extending freedom and ending debt rather than extending the power of Christianist Big Government. We know better now.

As a firm believer in individual liberty and freedom, I can cast my vote for only ONE candidate, Ron Paul.

NO other candidate represents the ideals espoused in our Constitution.

This is why he is marginalized by Democrats and Republicans alike.

Rick Santorum, Christianist Frontrunner? - The Dish | By Andrew Sullivan - The Daily Beast

He is easily the politician most hostile to individual liberty on the right. He believes states have every right to ban contraception, all abortion, and any legal protections for gay couples. He disavows any secular, Enlightenent view of America's founding. For him, freedom only counts if you adhere to the current fundamentalist rigidity of the Benedict XVI church. I've cited this before, but here he is on freedom:

This whole idea of personal autonomy, well I don’t think most conservatives hold that point of view. Some do. They have this idea that people should be left alone, be able to do whatever they want to do, government should keep our taxes down and keep our regulations low, that we shouldn’t get involved in the bedroom, we shouldn’t get involved in cultural issues. You know, people should do whatever they want. Well, that is not how traditional conservatives view the world and I think most conservatives understand that individuals can’t go it alone. That there is no such society that I am aware of, where we’ve had radical individualism and that it succeeds as a culture.

Notice he explicitly cites the bedroom as the place where big government can intervene. If you are not reproducing as the Vatican demands, legal penalties are in principle possible. There is no public-private distinction. His mentor, Robbie George, takes the view that in principle, the state also has the right to penalize masturbation with criminal penalties, a position flushed out of him in the Prop 2 trial in Colorado. The only reason the two would not actively prosecute gay couples for having sex or straight couples for using condoms is for prudential reasons: it's not practical. But in theory, they'd have the Catholic church's most reactionary elements dictating your freedoms.

If you believe in individual freedom, this country has no greater opponent than Rick Santorum. And for three years, the GOP has tried to tell us that the Tea Party was about extending freedom and ending debt rather than extending the power of Christianist Big Government. We know better now.

oh bullshit!

Oh please... you wine about personal freedom and then support the government involving themselves in every aspect of your life from contraception to what kind of car you drive.

Ya got nutt'n.

Interesting that I've only posted Rick Santorum's actual words, yet his sychopants are attacking me and Andrew Sullivan!

Why is that? :lol:

Interesting that I've only posted Rick Santorum's actual words, yet his sychopants are attacking me and Andrew Sullivan!

did you miss Sullivan's inflammatory words......?

I no longer care what those republican presidential hopefuls say. I am simply grateful Texas Rick Perry is out, and Texans no longer have to be embarrassed!!!

Let's eliminate all the superfluous stuff and just concentrate on the man's own quote...

I don't know of many people that would agree with this, I know that I certainly don't...:cuckoo:

OK - forget Sullivan's commentary. He's just stating the obvious reading of Santorum's quote, anyway.

Focus and comment on Santorum's words, please.

Link and prove they are Santorums words. Otherwise, shut up.
People who can't follow links end up looking like assholes. :)

Rick Santorum v. Limited Government | Cato @ Liberty

And thank you for making me dig, so that I could also find this:

Santorum had already dismissed limited government in theory. Promoting his book, he told NPR in 2006:

One of the criticisms I make is to what I refer to as more of a libertarianish right. You know, the left has gone so far left and the right in some respects has gone so far right that they touch each other. They come around in the circle. This whole idea of personal autonomy, well I don’t think most conservatives hold that point of view. Some do. They have this idea that people should be left alone, be able to do whatever they want to do, government should keep our taxes down and keep our regulations low, that we shouldn’t get involved in the bedroom, we shouldn’t get involved in cultural issues. You know, people should do whatever they want. Well, that is not how traditional conservatives view the world and I think most conservatives understand that individuals can’t go it alone. That there is no such society that I am aware of, where we’ve had radical individualism and that it succeeds as a culture.

He declared himself against individualism, against libertarianism, against “this whole idea of personal autonomy, . . . this idea that people should be left alone.” And in [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03zFTTqHScI"]this 2005 TV interview[/ame], you can hear these classic hits: “This is the mantra of the left: I have a right to do what I want to do” and “We have a whole culture that is focused on immediate gratification and the pursuit of happiness . . . and it is harming America.”

Fool. :lol:

OK - forget Sullivan's commentary. He's just stating the obvious reading of Santorum's quote, anyway.

why?....Sullivan's words are the typical hysterical hyperbole of the Left....

what Santorum basically said (if he said that) is that people cannot just go alone in society....to do whatever they want to do.....we live among other people....cultural issues affect the whole culture....conservatives know that RADICAL individualism will lead to anarchy (the libertarian view)....to be a working cohesive society we need rules....

sounds like Santorum is speaking like a conservative....

what Santorum basically said (if he said that) is that people cannot just go alone in society....to do whatever they want to do.....we live among other people....cultural issues affect the whole culture....conservatives know that RADICAL individualism will lead to anarchy (the libertarian view)....to be a working cohesive society we need rules....

Sullivan is Rightwing. You just hate him because he's a queer.

True story!

And I've showed where Ricky said it.

As a firm believer in individual liberty and freedom, I can cast my vote for only ONE candidate, Ron Paul.

No offense, but.... Ron Paul is dangerously naive on foreign policy and international relations. That is why he is marginalized by Democrats and Republicans.

No offense, but.... Ron Paul is dangerously naive on foreign policy and international relations. That is why he is marginalized by Democrats and Republicans.
Is that why? :lol:

You sure it's not because he wants to peek behind the curtain of the Federal Reserve, and the crony capitalism?

Sullivan is Rightwing. You just hate him because he's a queer.

True story!

And I've showed where Ricky said it.

Sullivan is a so-called "rightwinger" from England....who endorsed Obama......need i say more...?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back