Santorum: Look to Reagan on Libya

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Santorum: Look to Reagan on Libya - Thomas Beaumont - Des Moines Register - POLITICO.com :laugh2:

Rick Santorum said Tuesday that Ronald Reagan set the tone for dealing with Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi.

Santorum made the comments as the guest on WHO radio’s Jan Mickelson show today.

“Ronald Reagan bombed Libya,” the presidential hopeful told Mickelson. “If you want to be Reagan-esque, it seems the path is pretty clear here.”

“We’re either going to be on the side of [Qaddafi] or we’re going to be on the side of the folks who are trying to overturn him,” Santorum said. “These folks could be problematic. I’m not saying we’re going to see a pro-Western democracy come out of this group that’s in the streets. Maybe we will. Maybe we won’t.

“But it’s going to be no worse than we have right now and a chance, if we’re on the right side and we’re seen as an ally of these folks, that we can do better,” he added.

What was not immediately clear is if Santorum supports the use of U.S. military force in Libya based on the following comment. The Register was seeking clarification from Santorum.

“I am for being on the side of the rebels. I think it’s a very limited strike. It takes out the capability of them to conduct air raids against the rebels in Lybia,” he said. “And the cost as well as the intrusion is pretty minimal for I think a very substantial benefit for the long run.”

Santorum was in Iowa, home of the leadoff nominating caucuses, having participated in a forum with other potential candidates in Waukee Monday. Santorum also planned to phone in to Sam Clovis’ radio show of KSCJ in Sioux City before headlining the Crawford County Republican Women’s luncheon at the famous Cronk’s Cafe in Denison.

Read more: Santorum: Look to Reagan on Libya - Thomas Beaumont - Des Moines Register - POLITICO.com

I think many people are confused about what is happening with situations in Egypt and now Libya, if we are helping to spread democracy or are we helping to spread radical Islam ideals.

We helped Saddam once and that didn't work out too well so we had to go back and fix it by taking him out

Last edited:
I think many people are confused about what is happening with situations Egypt and now Libya.

If we help are helping to spread democracy or are we helping to spread radical Islam ideals.

We helped Saddam and that didn't work
out to well so we had to go back and fix it by taking him out

except there wasn't any reason to take him out.

all that did was destabilize the entire middle east.

good show!

I think many people are confused about what is happening with situations Egypt and now Libya.

If we help are helping to spread democracy or are we helping to spread radical Islam ideals.

good show!

Exactly.

Part of the solution from the "All War All the time" crowd.

good show!

Exactly.

then they'll say there's no money for schools or old people.,,,,while cutting taxes for rich people.

good show!

Hundreds of thousands of dead Iraqis/Kurds rotting in mass graves beg to differ with you.

good show!

So then there is absolutely no reason to take Daffy out either.. Me? I say we stay the hell out of all of it let them settle their own affairs.

good show!

Exactly.

Count me out. I'm not for one more American dying for anybody else in this fucked up world. Not one.

good show!

Hundreds of thousands of dead Iraqis/Kurds rotting in mass graves beg to differ with you.
That was in 1988 .... long time before Bush declared war on Iraq.

You need to take your head out of your ass and start reading about what happened When Saddam invaded Kuwait.. and the UN sanctions that were imposed and la tteeee da da da.. learn a thang or three.

You know, I am so tired of us always looking back to "what Reagan would do". I mean I like Reagan. He made mistakes. But I think He was a good President. But this isnt the 1980s. It's time we get some real leaders who are not merely imitating Reagan but have Just and Holy Principle that guide them.

As much as I admire Reagan (and admittedly others), the only person I can and ever will be is myself.
We need people who will stop trying to be someone else and learn to be comfortable with being themselves.

The village idiot Santorum left out the reason Reagan bombed Libya.

That reason is not there today.

Therefore, Santorum is as wrong as wrong can be.

(But of course he scores some points among the braindead wingers for working the word Reagan into a conversation)

That was in 1988 .... long time before Bush declared war on Iraq.

You need to take your head out of your ass and start reading about what happened When Saddam invaded Kuwait.. and the UN sanctions that were imposed and la tteeee da da da.. learn a thang or three.

Iraq had a border dispute with Kuwait and got into a war over it. It was none of our business,

no more than the war between Iraq and Iran in the 80's was any of our business.

I don't see how anything directly causing the fluctuation of oil prices is not our business. I could understand if we were energy independent, but we aren't. We incredibly dependent on these middle eastern nations. Everything that happens there is our business because what happens there directly effects our way of life.

Forum List

Back