Santorum: Higher Education a Plot to Secularize America

R

rdean

On the president’s efforts to boost college attendance, Santorum said, “I understand why Barack Obama wants to send every kid to college, because of their indoctrination mills, absolutely ... The indoctrination that is going on at the university level is a harm to our country.”

He claimed that “62 percent of kids who go into college with a faith commitment leave without it,” but declined to cite a source for the figure. And he floated the idea of requiring that universities that receive public funds have “intellectual diversity” on campus.

I hardly know where to begin. How many times have I said Republicans hate education? Then the Republican leadership says this.

What else is there to say?

On the president’s efforts to boost college attendance, Santorum said, “I understand why Barack Obama wants to send every kid to college, because of their indoctrination mills, absolutely ... The indoctrination that is going on at the university level is a harm to our country.”

This has been an old rightwing canard for decades: the myth of ‘liberal’ colleges.

He claimed that “62 percent of kids who go into college with a faith commitment leave without it,” but declined to cite a source for the figure.

Santorum would fit right in with our own USMB rightists.

And he floated the idea of requiring that universities that receive public funds have “intellectual diversity” on campus.

More evidence of conservative authoritarianism: the state’s thought police dictating to universities how and what to teach.

So much for ‘small government conservatives.’

Did Santorum go to college?

there is some truth in that standardization thing.

An example:
College grad economist types are standardized and therefore predictable and easier to use .
And this is a major reason why they did not see this recession coming nor realize the depth of it after it had started.
All of them should be banned from the field.

Last edited:
We all know that the left has at least one tax exempt organization who's sole mission is to cherry pick statements from (only) conservatives and funnel the stuff to left wing bloggers like Huffington. In addition to Media Matters there are several other left wing sites that do it for a living. It's a fact of life in the left wing dominated media world. It's going to be a long dirty campaign.

We all know that the left has at least one tax exempt organization who's sole mission is to cherry pick statements from (only) conservatives and funnel the stuff to left wing bloggers like Huffington. In addition to Media Matters there are several other left wing sites that do it for a living. It's a fact of life in the left wing dominated media world. It's going to be a long dirty campaign.
'
Well your last sentence is likely correct at least.

Tell me that organization is the church.

He claimed that “62 percent of kids who go into college with a faith commitment leave without it,” but declined to cite a source for the figure. And he floated the idea of requiring that universities that receive public funds have “intellectual diversity” on campus.

I hardly know where to begin. How many times have I said Republicans hate education? Then the Republican leadership says this.

What else is there to say?

Absolutely true.

If you don't know this is a fact, you haven't been to college.

I hardly know where to begin.

Of course you do. It's the same place you begin and end every dollop of shit you pollute this forum with: hyper-partisan nonsense that reveals nothing more than your block-headed view of reality.

Creepy Rickey ABSOLUTELY right about that.

Public education IS a system DESIGNED to teach people how to live in a secular society.

Clearly public education has FAILED in that mission with a lot of folks here, though.

It sort of cracks me up that Rickey is telling us that this is a BAD thing, but its about what I'd expect for that creepy little closet-case

Last edited:
This piece is both funny and sad.

'Schooling Santorum' By Dick Cavett

"Teaching is an art and a profession requiring years of training. Where did the idea come from that anybody can do it? How many parents can intuit how to do it? (Pardon unconscious rhyme there.) My parents were teachers and the thought of home-schooling sent them rolling before they were in their graves. Especially when parents, complaining of their kids’ schooling, wrote in report card responses things like “I am loathe to critacize…”; “my childs consantration”; “normalicy”; “my daughter’s abillaties”; “her examatian grades”; “she should of done better”; “greater supervizion,” etc., into the night."

Schooling Rick Santorum - NYTimes.com

Creepy Rickey ABSOLUTELY right about that.

Public education IS a system DESIGNED to teach people how to live in a secular society.

Clearly public education has FAILED in that mission with a lot of folks here, though.

It sort of cracks me up that Rickey is telling us that this is a BAD thing, but its about what I'd expect for that creepy little closet-case

"closet case"?

???

This piece is both funny and sad.

'Schooling Santorum' By Dick Cavett

"Teaching is an art and a profession requiring years of training. Where did the idea come from that anybody can do it? How many parents can intuit how to do it? (Pardon unconscious rhyme there.) My parents were teachers and the thought of home-schooling sent them rolling before they were in their graves. Especially when parents, complaining of their kids’ schooling, wrote in report card responses things like “I am loathe to critacize…”; “my childs consantration”; “normalicy”; “my daughter’s abillaties”; “her examatian grades”; “she should of done better”; “greater supervizion,” etc., into the night."

Schooling Rick Santorum - NYTimes.com

You won't get better spelling out of a college grad. Maybe worse.

New Topics

Forum List

Back