Santorum Closes Gap on Casey

red states rule

May 30, 2006
The tide may be turning. Polls show Rick Santorum, once down by more then 20 points, is now within six points.

The liberal media, who have gone out of thier way to smear Sen Santowum, must be on oxygen right now.

Note how the Clinton news Network spins this good news.

Santorum closes gap, but still faces an uphill battle for re-election
By Mark Preston
CNN Political Editor

Tuesday, August 15, 2006; Posted: 10:50 a.m. EDT (14:50 GMT

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Sen. Rick Santorum (R) has gained significant ground in the last two months on State Treasurer Robert Casey (D), who is challenging him for his Pennsylvania Senate seat, a new Quinnipiac University poll released this morning shows. But Santorum still faces an uphill battle to win re-election, as 49 percent of Pennsylvania likely voters say that the incumbent should not be re-elected.

The poll says that Casey leads Santorum 48 percent to 42 percent among likely voters, with Green Party candidate Carl Romanelli collecting 5 percent and the remaining 5 percent of voters undecided. In a head-to-head match-up, Casey has a 47 percent to 40 percent advantage over Santorum, while a June 21 poll by the university had Casey leading Santorum 52 percent to 34 percent.

Democrats view the Santorum seat as a must win for the party to wrest control of the Senate from Republican hands in November. In an effort to help dilute Casey's support, Republicans helped Romanelli collect signatures to ensure he was on the November ballot.

"Bob Casey's lead over Sen. Santorum has shrunk to single digits in part because the Green Party candidate is siphoning votes from the Democratic challenger," Clay Richards, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute, said in a statement released with this morning's poll. "It's not surprising Sen. Santorum has narrowed the gap, but his bid for re-election is still in trouble as long as almost 50 percent of the voters say he does not deserve another term."

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/08/15/mg.tue/index.html

I actually heard it was down to 5. But without knowing what source the news got it from I cant really cite it.

What gets me about all this is Casey has been trying to run more conservative than Santuroum. I know there are the "I hate Santorum" Democrats in the state, but I doubt they are going to be happy with Casey either.

Rick has a history of playing catch up. I am sure he will win, and I feel the Republicans will gain seats in both the House and Senate.

I'm 90% sure that Bob Casey has a unibrow.

Well thats the first ive heard of that. Of course Casey isnt really telling anyone who he is. He is just running of name recognition and trying to convince people that Santorum isnt that conservative.

All along i didnt believe this hype that people wanted Rick out that bad. Those polls are so skewed anymore its ridiculous. Santorum is a good senator and he will get reelected.

All along i didnt believe this hype that people wanted Rick out that bad. Those polls are so skewed anymore its ridiculous. Santorum is a good senator and he will get reelected.

I think so too. I just think its funny that they are trying to act as though Casey is even more conservative. If he really was i dont think he would be the Democrat nominee because its the fact that Santorum is conservative that irritates them to no end. So you want to replace him with a guy trying to pretend he is more so? the campaign just doesnt make much sense to me.

Forum List

Back