Santorum booed for his positions on same-sex marriage, legal pot (New Hampshire colle

Yeah. Ron Paul didn't write his own newsletter. But Santorum is a bigot for supporting the family.

It's ok to support the family and promote your ideas but it's not ok to try to mandate what your vision of a family is.

So standing up for traditional marriage politically makes you a bigot and is unacceptable, while mandating alternative marriage on the population is perfectly great?

I didn't call him a bigot, I think standing up for traditional marriage is ok. I am a part of a traditional marriage myself. I take issue with him attempting to force his views on people through law. The government should stay out of marriage. I personally have no problem with gay marriage or polygamy. To each his own. Now if the government was saying I could only be in a gay marriage or marry multiple people then I would have an issue with that too.

So standing up for traditional marriage politically makes you a bigot and is unacceptable, while mandating alternative marriage on the population is perfectly great?

What the hell does "mandating alternative marriage on the population" mean? You afraid they are going to make you enter into a gay marriage?
:lol:

obamer is a bigot,, you don't have a problem with dat.

WillowTroll with yet another skillful deflection

Deflection.jpg

Who is harmed by gay marriage?

If the gay agenda was to destroy the instituion of marriage, I have terrible news for them. YOU'RE TOO LATE!

We straight people have already destroyed it. Hell, Newt Gingrich has made a mockery of it all by himself. More than you can ever hope to.

Sorry about that!

Last edited:
If you give government the authority to arbitrarily define marriage between a man and a woman, then you give government the same authority to change its mind and arbitrarily define marriage between a man and a man or whatever else it wants.

Government has no authority to define marriage. Individuals and their churches or whatever organization they belong to can set their own criteria for marriage. Nobody has to accept the criteria they make, but they have a right to make it and believe it nonetheless.

The solution to protect marriage is to get government out of it entirely and abolish the marriage license. Marriage is a private social matter, not a government granted privilege. Any legal benefits of marriage can be defined in private contracts just like anything else in the private sector.

As long as we have divorce, the government will be involved with legal, civil marriage. Libertarian wet dream that will NEVER come true.

So very true. If spouses would stop dying too, the government would never get involved in marriages.

If the gay agenda was to destroy the instituion of marriage, I have terrible news for them. YOU'RE TOO LATE!

We straight people have already destroyed it. Hell, Newt Gingrich has made a mockery of it all by himself. More than you can ever hope to.

Sorry about that!

Harm?

Why if we allow Gay Marriage it will be the same thing as allowing polygamy, child marriage and ultimately people marrying their pets

We have to draw the line somewhere

Santorum booed for his positions on same-sex marriage, legal pot (New Hampshire college students)
The Hill ^ | 1/05/11 | Alicia M. Cohn
Santorum booed for his positions on same-sex marriage, legal pot - The Hill's Ballot Box

Santorum booed for his positions on same-sex marriage, legal pot
By Alicia M. Cohn - 01/05/12 06:21 PM ET

Amid boos and occasional cheers, Rick Santorum defended his views on same-sex marriage and legalized marijuana, as he was peppered with questions by a crowd of college students in New Hampshire on Thursday.

The conservative candidate did not sidestep a challenge issued by several members of the crowd on the subject, but instead asked students to break down their argument so he could reply at length.

“Don’t you have to make the positive argument why the law should be changed?” he asked.

Santorum was speaking at the College Convention 2012, an event in Concord, New Hampshire planned ahead of Santorum’s recent surprise jump in the polls.

The initial question posed to Santorum was to explain how same-sex marriage “personally” affected him. Santorum has expressed his support of a federal ban on same-sex marriage.

Santorum noted that he was not surprised to take a question on same-sex marriage from a college-aged audience, and said he was “happy to engage in a discussion” but emphasized that it would be “civil” even as he faced interruptions from various members of the audience.

Santorum grilled one female audience member who chimed in on the subject, challenging her to defend her argument in favor of same-sex marriage by answering questions about whether the definition of marriage should be changed to reflect whatever makes various people happy.

"Are we saying everybody has the right to marry," Santorum asked.

"Yes, yes," a significant segment of the crowd responded.

"What about three men?" Santorum challenged. “If she reflects the values that marriage can be for anybody or any group of people, as many as is necessary, any two people or any three or four, marriage really means whatever you want it to mean.”

The student fired back a qualification that people should be allowed what makes them happy so long as it didn’t harm anyone else.

“Who decides that, though?” Santorum said.

Santorum concluded with a passionate defense of traditional marriage that included his argument in favor of a “birthright” of every child to know and be loved by a man and a woman. His argument earned applause.

Asked about laws to legalize marijuana, Santorum admitted he is not familiar with the nuances of medical marijuana laws. Marijuana use by prescription has been legalized in several states, with various restrictions. Santorum pushed back against rumbling in the already testy crowd, joking he knows he’s “supposed to know everything.”

But he said he believes marijuana use is dangerous, based on his personal experience of seeing it used. "I went to college, too,” he told the crowd.

Santorum hit the campaign trial in New Hampshire after a near-win in the Iowa caucuses on Tuesday, where Mitt Romney beat him by just 8 votes. Santorum is enjoying a slight bump in the most recent polls in New Hampshire as a result, hitting 11 percent and 8 percent in the most recent polls from Washington Times-JZ Analytics and Suffolk University, respectively. Santorum's win in Iowa was credited in part to the large evangelical voting population and Santorum's credibility with social conservatives.

Liberal or conservative, college students are typically uninformed and narrow-minded. I can safely say this because I graduated with my BA a year ago.

While I don't agree with Santorum, I do think he made some good points. A college really isn't the best forum to discuss issues like this, despite the fact they are such passionate issues.

Sorry about that!

"Who is harmed by" is a lame argument. That isn't how this works.
Who is harmed by a court ruling that gay marriage is an inalienable right? All the voters who voted otherwise. It is the suspension of democracy.

Well... I guess it's understandable for butt-freaking to determine the outcome of one of the most important elections in American history.

Sorry about that!

"Who is harmed by" is a lame argument. That isn't how this works.
Who is harmed by a court ruling that gay marriage is an inalienable right? All the voters who voted otherwise. It is the suspension of democracy.

You can't vote on what rights others are allowed to have

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for supper

he didn't say a word against gays, he asked the crowd a question. They yelled "that's irrelevant" but it is relevant and it pissed them off.
At that very moment he may not have, but he's said more than enough in the past. It's why his name is now synonymous with a frothy mix...just google him.

It is irrelevant. What does polygamy have to do with same sex legal marriage which is what her question was about?

It's called a slippery slope fallacy for a reason.

the debate has been whether or not same sex marriage SHOULD be legal.
So from his perspective...one who thinks it should not be legal...using the analogy of polygomy was very relevant.

I disagreew ith his setiments...but I most certainly understand them.

Why are you unable to understand his use of that analogy?

If a candidate were against the legalization of handguns...and he tried to explain it by bringing up the fact that automaitc weapons were illegal..and there is a similartity..

Would you say his analogy is irrelevant?

No. If you believe that marriage between same sex couples should be prohibited to the point of a Federal law and would invalidate those who are currently legally married, you need to provide a societal harm in allowing those legal marriages. What Frothy did was a deflection to a slippery slope fallacy.

We must arrest jaywalkers because they WILL become murderers.

Santorum booed for his positions on same-sex marriage, legal pot (New Hampshire college students)
The Hill ^ | 1/05/11 | Alicia M. Cohn
Santorum booed for his positions on same-sex marriage, legal pot - The Hill's Ballot Box

Santorum booed for his positions on same-sex marriage, legal pot
By Alicia M. Cohn - 01/05/12 06:21 PM ET

Amid boos and occasional cheers, Rick Santorum defended his views on same-sex marriage and legalized marijuana, as he was peppered with questions by a crowd of college students in New Hampshire on Thursday.

The conservative candidate did not sidestep a challenge issued by several members of the crowd on the subject, but instead asked students to break down their argument so he could reply at length.

“Don’t you have to make the positive argument why the law should be changed?” he asked.

Santorum was speaking at the College Convention 2012, an event in Concord, New Hampshire planned ahead of Santorum’s recent surprise jump in the polls.

The initial question posed to Santorum was to explain how same-sex marriage “personally” affected him. Santorum has expressed his support of a federal ban on same-sex marriage.

Santorum noted that he was not surprised to take a question on same-sex marriage from a college-aged audience, and said he was “happy to engage in a discussion” but emphasized that it would be “civil” even as he faced interruptions from various members of the audience.

Santorum grilled one female audience member who chimed in on the subject, challenging her to defend her argument in favor of same-sex marriage by answering questions about whether the definition of marriage should be changed to reflect whatever makes various people happy.

"Are we saying everybody has the right to marry," Santorum asked.

"Yes, yes," a significant segment of the crowd responded.

"What about three men?" Santorum challenged. “If she reflects the values that marriage can be for anybody or any group of people, as many as is necessary, any two people or any three or four, marriage really means whatever you want it to mean.”

The student fired back a qualification that people should be allowed what makes them happy so long as it didn’t harm anyone else.

“Who decides that, though?” Santorum said.

Santorum concluded with a passionate defense of traditional marriage that included his argument in favor of a “birthright” of every child to know and be loved by a man and a woman. His argument earned applause.

Asked about laws to legalize marijuana, Santorum admitted he is not familiar with the nuances of medical marijuana laws. Marijuana use by prescription has been legalized in several states, with various restrictions. Santorum pushed back against rumbling in the already testy crowd, joking he knows he’s “supposed to know everything.”

But he said he believes marijuana use is dangerous, based on his personal experience of seeing it used. "I went to college, too,” he told the crowd.

Santorum hit the campaign trial in New Hampshire after a near-win in the Iowa caucuses on Tuesday, where Mitt Romney beat him by just 8 votes. Santorum is enjoying a slight bump in the most recent polls in New Hampshire as a result, hitting 11 percent and 8 percent in the most recent polls from Washington Times-JZ Analytics and Suffolk University, respectively. Santorum's win in Iowa was credited in part to the large evangelical voting population and Santorum's credibility with social conservatives.

Yep--Rick Santorum should be BOOED for his hateful statements regarding gays--and Ron PAUL should be BOOED for his RACIST comments in his newsletters also.

Kind of like the pot calling the kettle--black--wouldn't ya say---:badgrin:

ron-paul-gets-back-into-practice.jpg

Forum List

Back