Santa Barbara Fire

wihosa

Gold Member
Apr 8, 2008
Simi Valley, Ca. where I live is about 50 miles from Santa Barbara so we a get a lot of coverage of the recent fire. Last I saw the tally is 37 homes destroyed and 48 damaged by fire. Thirty thousand were evacuated and the state has spent more than 1 1/2 million dollars so far fighting the fire. Luckily an onshore flow of cool moist air has helped the firefighters get more than 50% containment.

This is more and more common not just in Calif. but through out the west and other parts of the country. Homes destroyed and damaged, lives lost or ruined. The cost of these losses is enormous.

My question is why can't we do better in fighting fires? We spend untold millions on people and equipment to "defend" ourselves against every conceivable "military threat". Why haven't we invested in equipment and training with an equivelant level of sophistication for fighting fires. Shouldn't we be defended against ALL threats? We fight fires with surplus WWII aircraft. We lease Super Scooper water dropping aircraft from Canada for part of the year. Only Canada is capable of making better firefighting euipment? I don't know what this high tech gear would be but it is inconceivable that we can't do better.

Military threats are the result of another persons actions. People can out think people. Mother Nature's a bitch, but you can't contain her. If she's going to throw you 50mph winds in the exact opposite direction you want them, what are YOU going to do to stop it?

I would expect that if you think we aren't doing a good enough job, and can do better, you have some sort of idea how such can be accomplished, and are well on your own way to implementing it, yes?

Military threats are the result of another persons actions. People can out think people. Mother Nature's a bitch, but you can't contain her. If she's going to throw you 50mph winds in the exact opposite direction you want them, what are YOU going to do to stop it?

I would expect that if you think we aren't doing a good enough job, and can do better, you have some sort of idea how such can be accomplished, and are well on your own way to implementing it, yes?

A fleet of super scooper aircraft for each regional area, permantly manned and ready to stop fires before they can grow to gigantic proportions would be a start.

It seems with our unparalleled expertise in aircraft we could create the next generation Super Duper Scooper.

We can do better. In the meantime, more broken lives.

The wildfires have started even earlier this year. Sigh.....here's to another season. We lost eight firefighters last year just in our county alone.

rich people,, not to worry,, they got money!

Not exactly true, but it is how many people in our county feel. We live in one of the largest area counties with one of the lowest populations. Not so much a priority because of few homes.

Wildfire resources go first into populated areas to fight wildfires in order to save homes and displace less people.

They just let them burn in our county, and try and contain them a bit with back burning.

Santa Barbera is one of the most prosperous areas in California.

rich people,, not to worry,, they got money!

Not exactly true, but it is how many people in our county feel. We live in one of the largest area counties with one of the lowest populations. Not so much a priority because of few homes.

Wildfire resources go first into populated areas to fight wildfires in order to save homes and displace less people.

They just let them burn in our county, and try and contain them a bit with back burning.

Santa Barbera is one of the most prosperous areas in California.

California has a 42 Billion dollar deficit.. hardly prosperous!

Latest fire update: 8700 acres burned, 77 homes destroyed, 22 damaged, $9million spent, 28 firefighters injured. The new estimate after a more accurate assessment done when people were allowed back into the area.

Yes, Santa Barbara is one of the more affluent areas in Calif. Yes many people affected are "rich". None the less, losing all your worldly possesions to fire is devastating for anybody. "Not to worry, they're rich" is a shockingly callous recation.

We really can do better.

Latest fire update: 8700 acres burned, 77 homes destroyed, 22 damaged, $9million spent, 28 firefighters injured. The new estimate after a more accurate assessment done when people were allowed back into the area.

Yes, Santa Barbara is one of the more affluent areas in Calif. Yes many people affected are "rich". None the less, losing all your worldly possesions to fire is devastating for anybody. "Not to worry, they're rich" is a shockingly callous recation.

We really can do better.

oh,, so now you have sympathy for rich people?? are they fat?

We really can do better.

I have empathy for people.

You should try it some time.

Yeah, like that would ever happen.

We really can do better.

I thought we were out to get rich white people!

I thought we were out to get rich white people!

Stop listening to Fox News they have completely brainwashed you. We're not out to get anybody (except for the war criminals but that's another thread).

I didn't hear it from fox.. I heard it from jeramiah bullfrog.. you know pastor???

new canadian built water scoopers (cl-415) cost $30 to $40 million new. As an individual in the fire fighting industry, I know first hand many of the problems. When interviewed by the media, I offer this question to be researched; take the number of fires for a given year and the amount of acres burned for the same year, divide to find the average acres burned per fire. Compare those stats between Canada, the U.S. and Europe (these are the areas with the most advanced firefighting equipment and personel) you now will be standing on the tip of the iceberg.

new canadian built water scoopers (cl-415) cost $30 to $40 million new. As an individual in the fire fighting industry, I know first hand many of the problems. When interviewed by the media, I offer this question to be researched; take the number of fires for a given year and the amount of acres burned for the same year, divide to find the average acres burned per fire. Compare those stats between Canada, the U.S. and Europe (these are the areas with the most advanced firefighting equipment and personel) you now will be standing on the tip of the iceberg.

What's your point?

New Topics

Forum List

Back