Sandy the "superstorm"?

Oct 27, 2012
Hey,

I hope you guys on the East Coast are alright after the storm. It looked pretty nasty in some areas. And I need help with something. I noticed that the Weather Channel referred to this as a "super storm". Is that just somewhere in between a Hurricane and a Tropical Storm? What did they mean by that?

It was a overhyped term meant to get ratings complete with Jim Cantore standing in every bad place he could find. By 3AM they had fallen back to quoting wind gusts at airliner altitude to keep it sounding sinister.

It's just a descriptive adjective to describe an unusually large hurricane that interacts with cold fronts and does damage both from wind, tidal surge and rain (tropical) and blizzards (temperate).

And to the asswipe that posted above me, take a look at the Jersey shore and keep pretending it was overhyped.

Past disasters to swell aid bill for Superstorm Sandy...
:eusa_eh:
Sandy relief package swells aid for past disasters
Jan 12,`13 WASHINGTON (AP) -- Conservatives and watchdog groups are mounting a "not-so-fast" campaign against a $50.7 billion Superstorm Sandy aid package that Northeastern governors and lawmakers hope to push through the House this coming week.
Their complaint is that lots of the money that lawmakers are considering will actually go toward recovery efforts for past disasters and other projects unrelated to the late-October storm. A Senate-passed version from the end of the last Congress included $150 million for what the Commerce Department described as fisheries disasters in Alaska, Mississippi and the Northeast, and $50 million in subsidies for replanting trees on private land damaged by wildfires. The objections have led senior House Republicans to assemble their own $17 billion proposal, that when combined with already approved money for flood insurance claims, is less than half what President Barack Obama sought and the Senate passed in December

That $17 billion package will be brought to the floor by the House Appropriations Committee, and Northeast lawmakers will have a chance to add $33.7 billion more. House Speaker John Boehner intends to let the House vote on both measures. He's responding both to conservatives who are opposed to more deficit spending, and to Govs. Andrew Cuomo, D-N.Y., and Chris Christie, R-N.J., who are irate that the House hasn't acted sooner.

Critics are taking the sharpest aim at $12.1 billion in the amendment for Department of Housing and Urban Development emergency block grants. Any state struck by a federally declared major disaster in 2011, 2012 or this year would qualify for the grants, and that's just about all the states, said Stephen Ellis, vice president of Taxpayers for Common Sense, a budget watchdog group. Only South Carolina, Arizona and Michigan would not qualify, he said. "That's not a bad chunk of change, particularly if you are trying to get other lawmakers to vote for the bill," Ellis said.

State and local governments like block grants because they provide more flexibility in how the money is spent. The money can go toward a variety of needs, including hospitals, utilities, roads, small businesses and rent subsidies. The Northeast lawmakers' $33.7 billion amendment also includes more than $135 million to help the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration improve weather forecasting. "A lot of the money goes to government agencies to rebuild rather than helping people actually afflicted by Sandy," Ellis said.

MORE

It's just a descriptive adjective to describe an unusually large hurricane that interacts with cold fronts and does damage both from wind, tidal surge and rain (tropical) and blizzards (temperate).

And to the asswipe that posted above me, take a look at the Jersey shore and keep pretending it was overhyped.

They say things like that b/c it makes them feel better about the fact that NY and NJ have had to wait longer than anyplace in the country has ever had to wait for disaster aid.

They say things like that b/c it makes them feel better about the fact that NY and NJ have had to wait longer than anyplace in the country has ever had to wait for disaster aid.

President Bush was better, what can we tell ya?

It is truly amazing that those first posts were 10/31 and by January 3rd Congress still could not get an aid package together.

Forum List

Back