Sandy relief bill does not get voted on

talk about a large group getting the shaft, Its scary and downright immoral to let these people hang Hi and dry. I dont care what party you are on these people should be priority number one. Take the money out of the department of defense.

Tell us, if the general welfare clause was meant to allow government to do all the things you advocate, what was the point of enumerating federal powers and making it crystal clear those were the only powers through the 10th amendment?

Because the General Welfare clause does not allow Congress to legislate for the general welfare of the country

Oh if that were only the case...

Lets start with EVERYTHING that does not DIRECTLY pertain to Sandy....

I feel bad for you son, I really do.

You feel the need to swallow all the jizz Bammy tosses your way.

And the House shouldn't vote on the Sandy relief bill until the Dems remove all the candy and pork from it. Much of the funding in that bill is for things that have nothing to do with Sandy. Good for the Republicans for insisting that the Sandy bill be just for Sandy-related expenses.

What pork, specifically?

(See previous posts in the thread to avoid repeating what's already been gone over.)

And what, specifically, doesn't pertain to Sandy?
Please be specific, and point out where in the bill the outstanding pork exists.
And be sure to give amounts.

After action review. Or review of after action.

As much as I adore Rachael Maddow this one gets drops on her, her and Schumer.

I was absolutely elated yesterday evening, brought back from the brink of the cliff's edge, Sandy relief bill which had seemed to be the innocent bystander hit by the bus of the fiscal bill was given cpr and date of recovery given, Elizabeth Warren would be a Senator the very next day. I was in such a good mood I did something I have not done since probably the second week in November, turn on the TV, well, specifically MSNBC. Ed was passing the baton to Maddow. Maddow came on and with a extremely well executed lead up skewered Boehner and lead right into an interview with Senator Schumer.

When I say extremely well executed I don't mean it was at all beautiful. Actually it was unnecessarily viscous. And while Schumer pleaded with house members to pass Sandy Relief Bill on December 29th and a day later stated, "For the House to walk away and not allow a vote would be unconscionable." this particular interview was anything but a plea. It was used as an opportunity to rail on the Tea Party. So while I am sure he is filled joy about the relief bill being secured a vote I do not recall him mentioning the people of New York once but the did mention the Tea Party repeatedly." Perhaps it was just the frustration of trying to get legislation passed for so long with so much resistance. Whatever the reasons behind it I found it extremely combative and vindictive. By the time that segment was over I felt completely deflated, lost all interest what the next guest had to say, and turned off the TV. Perhaps I will turn it on again in another two months. We sure don't need to go into the new session to find those on the other side with their teeth bared for a fight and we certainly don't want it from our side.

I digress however since this post is about the review of after action. I would have to go back to see exactly when I posted that the agreement was reached with the republican leadership that a vote was scheduled for the Sandy relief bill. Everything in the news after that was with that fact known. There were many things said in the heat of battle. Most, if not all of it, was premised a little reservation however. What the media published most, however, was all the heat and none of the reservation. Christie spoke with more level headedness than I think I have ever witnessed before. And while the did let there be no mistake his was not happy with the way things were he said he believe in 'redemption' and repeated refused to entertain questions about the Tea Party or other theoretical bogymen. (Cantor was the one who was instrumental that this vote was to happen and when it was not going to happen Cantor personally called Christie at 11:20 p.m. to tell him.) What did the media post across their headlines? "Christie Blasts Boehner" And while King was pissed and let that out without mincing words by the end of the day he said he would vote for Boehner for speaker of the house.

While the media was the instrument with getting everyone off their sofa and put the hot under the foot it is like feeding sharks. When the food is gone they still churn the water in such a frenzy that sometimes they bite their own. That is what it takes to get our attention though so everyone tries to outdo the other. I still have hope for change so maybe this new year will be a little more 'constructive'.

Schumer Pleas With House Members To Pass Sandy Relief Bill « CBS New York
Schumer Wants House To Vote On Sandy Aid Bill - NY1.com

Now I am going to turn on C-SPAN and watch the end of the 112th congress. (C-SPAN does not really count as TV. :D)

Forum List

Back