Sandwhich Generation

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
The old timers here know me, don't necessarily like me, but should know me. :)

I'm close to the mid century mark. I'm a single mom, with 2 kids in college, one now out-just 1 semester shy of graduation. For the math challenged, I have 3 kids-20-24. 2 boys, 20 and 22. One girl, 24.

I teach middle school social studies, in a parochial school.

I have my dad living with me, 84 years old, 85 in Dec. He's the legacy of my mom, who died 2 years ago, after a long term series of illnesses. She lived with me too, for about 2 years, with a full time nurse. She left my dad with me, the nurse returned to the Ukraine.

Many are in my quandry, more or less. The parents may not be living in your home, but your lives are affected by their medical/psycho problems. Yet, there are children to be dealt with. It may be easier to deal with if the marriage is in tact, I wouldn't know, but in any case, pretty tough to be dealing with the kids and older folks at the same time.

Kathianne said:
The old timers here know me, don't necessarily like me, but should know me. :)

I'm close to the mid century mark. I'm a single mom, with 2 kids in college, one now out-just 1 semester shy of graduation. For the math challenged, I have 3 kids-20-24. 2 boys, 20 and 22. One girl, 24.

I teach middle school social studies, in a parochial school.

I have my dad living with me, 84 years old, 85 in Dec. He's the legacy of my mom, who died 2 years ago, after a long term series of illnesses. She lived with me too, for about 2 years, with a full time nurse. She left my dad with me, the nurse returned to the Ukraine.

Many are in my quandry, more or less. The parents may not be living in your home, but your lives are affected by their medical/psycho problems. Yet, there are children to be dealt with. It may be easier to deal with if the marriage is in tact, I wouldn't know, but in any case, pretty tough to be dealing with the kids and older folks at the same time.

That's why I'm forever grateful to my mother for having another child who gets along with her. We'd kill each other if forced to cohabitat again! :death:

Said1 said:
That's why I'm forever grateful to my mother for having another child who gets along with her. We'd kill each other if forced to cohabitat again! :death:

Yeah, I am pretty lucky that my one brother lives close enough by that he will stop in and visit if I have to go somewhere overnight and such. He's more than willing to have my dad live with him, but for some reason or other, the dad feels more comfortable with me.

I'm also lucky that my kids really get along well with my dad, he basically filled in for the ex's many shortcomings, so I owe him a lot.

I'd have your kids, and your dad live together, and if I were you, I'd move in to my own apartment. :D

Forum List

Back