Sandra Day O’Connor, US Supreme Court first woman justice, has dementia

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Former Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor has announced she is withdrawing from public life after being diagnosed with dementia.

In a letter released on Tuesday, the 88-year-old said doctors had diagnosed her with early-stage dementia and "probably Alzheimer's disease".

Justice O'Connor was the first woman to be appointed to the US top court, and a key swing vote. She retired in 2006.

She served as a visiting judge and civics educator after retiring.

What did her letter say?
In a public letter, addressed to "friends and fellow Americans", Justice O'Connor said doctors first diagnosed her "some time ago".

"As this condition has progressed, I am no longer able to participate in public life," she wrote.

"Since many people have asked about my current status and activities, I want to be open about these changes, and while I am still able, share some personal thoughts."
Sandra Day O'Connor retires over dementia

That is terribly sad.

Former Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor has announced she is withdrawing from public life after being diagnosed with dementia.

In a letter released on Tuesday, the 88-year-old said doctors had diagnosed her with early-stage dementia and "probably Alzheimer's disease".

Justice O'Connor was the first woman to be appointed to the US top court, and a key swing vote. She retired in 2006.

She served as a visiting judge and civics educator after retiring.

What did her letter say?
In a public letter, addressed to "friends and fellow Americans", Justice O'Connor said doctors first diagnosed her "some time ago".

"As this condition has progressed, I am no longer able to participate in public life," she wrote.

"Since many people have asked about my current status and activities, I want to be open about these changes, and while I am still able, share some personal thoughts."
Sandra Day O'Connor retires over dementia

That is terribly sad.
This happens to many of older people not much you can do for it. I want to go quick

Forum List

Back