Sanders: Majority of gun owners responsible

I disagree with force used in laws like the ones I mention becase do gooders think that they are needed to save lives .
Speaking primarily about seat belt laws... I don't think that it was a matter of "do gooders".
At least in my state, mandatory seat belt laws were "passed" by extortion. The Feds said to either enact the law or face a reduction in highway funding.
I'd imagine that it's a similar case for most states.

We were, however, somehow able to get the "mandatory helmet" law overturned.

Most gun owners are responsible and obey the law. Many people who use a gun to kill someone never committed a crime in the past. Many children who find guns in their home and accidentally kill a sibling with it come from homes with law abiding good parents. Most people who commit suicide with a gun never committed a crime. Just because people are law abiding and responsible doesn't mean that them having a gun can't lead to something bad happening, and often it does. I'm not making an argument for or against guns here, just stating some facts.
Since we're stating facts...
More or less often than it does not, and by what order of magnitude?
I did not state that it happens more often than not. I stated that it happens often. Statistically the numbers are small, but 10,000 to 15,000 per year is still a big number.
Not compared to 300,000,000.

When compared to countries with strict gun controls that have less than 100 deaths per year, that number is quite significant.

Most gun owners are responsible and obey the law. Many people who use a gun to kill someone never committed a crime in the past. Many children who find guns in their home and accidentally kill a sibling with it come from homes with law abiding good parents. Most people who commit suicide with a gun never committed a crime. Just because people are law abiding and responsible doesn't mean that them having a gun can't lead to something bad happening, and often it does. I'm not making an argument for or against guns here, just stating some facts.
I did not state that it happens more often than not. I stated that it happens often. Statistically the numbers are small, but 10,000 to 15,000 per year is still a big number.
Not compared to 300,000,000.
When compared to countries with strict gun controls that have less than 100 deaths per year, that number is quite significant.
Really?
What % of the guns in the UK, Germany, France, Australia and Canada are involved in a murder each year?
How does that compare to the % of guns in the US?

Trigger locks would definitely prevent many unnecessary deaths. What are referred to as 'accidents' may have counted in their numbers 'unintended' shootings, but most are criminal negligence. It is not an accident that a weapon is left loaded and unattended.

Sanders: The majority of gun owners are responsible and obey the law

Did he say that the majority of gun owners are responsible, law-abiding citizens... and therefore we should quit making laws to restrict them???

Or did he say the majority of gun owners are responsible, law-abiding citizens... but we have to make more gun laws that restrict them anyway, just in case a bad one gets a gun???

Politicians always say nice things.

But I'm not that interested in what they SAY.

I'm interested in what they will DO.

Will Sanders start vetoing and repealing gun laws? Does he even care if they are unconstitutional, to say nothing of unjust?

Sanders probably just shot himself in the foot with a lot of Dems and leftists.

Vermont liberal Sen. Bernie Sanders said Sunday that the majority of gun owners are responsible and obey the law.

Appearing on CNN's "State of the Union" Sunday, Sanders said that a gun manufacturer should be no more responsible for a murder performed by their product than a hammer manufacturer is responsible "if someone beat someone over the head with a hammer."

Sanders was taking on detractors who have pointed to a bill he voted for that shields firearms manufacturers from being sued by gun violence victims. Presidential rival Hillary Clinton made reference to this bill in New Hampshire Saturday, saying that it was the "height of irresponsibility not to talk about it."

Sanders noted Sunday that he has a pretty poor grade of a D- from the National Rifle Association and has voted for the assault weapons ban.

Sanders suggested that he could broker a "serious debate and action on guns," but that it won't happen if "we have extreme positions on both sides."

Sanders The majority of gun owners are responsible and obey the law Washington Examiner

You see, you're more liberal than you thought. You'll come around.

Vermont liberal Sen. Bernie Sanders said Sunday that the majority of gun owners are responsible and obey the law.

Appearing on CNN's "State of the Union" Sunday, Sanders said that a gun manufacturer should be no more responsible for a murder performed by their product than a hammer manufacturer is responsible "if someone beat someone over the head with a hammer."

Sanders was taking on detractors who have pointed to a bill he voted for that shields firearms manufacturers from being sued by gun violence victims. Presidential rival Hillary Clinton made reference to this bill in New Hampshire Saturday, saying that it was the "height of irresponsibility not to talk about it."

Sanders noted Sunday that he has a pretty poor grade of a D- from the National Rifle Association and has voted for the assault weapons ban.

Sanders suggested that he could broker a "serious debate and action on guns," but that it won't happen if "we have extreme positions on both sides."

Sanders The majority of gun owners are responsible and obey the law Washington Examiner

Nothing will make liberals madder than the truth

The majority of American gun owners are responsible.

What part of that is a surprise to you?

New Topics

Forum List

Back