Sanctuary for cowards?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by DiamondDave, Dec 4, 2008.

1. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. user_name_guest

user_name_guest Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Haha. Peace groups should get resisters asylum in Northern Pakistan. They have tolerant people there. Maybe the resisters could be protected under the tribal groups. If Taliban and al-Qaeda could survive in Paki, so can military resisters and peace groups.

3. catzmeow

catzmeow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,974
  4. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,307
    I've got a great idea! If they don't want to serve, don't join. If they join and they don't want to serve, put them in the brig for 20 years.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,769
    :lol:

It takes a DUmmie!

6. doeton

doeton Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +65
    and on the 17th day they become what they claimed to hate:evil:

7. Angel Heart

Angel Heart Conservative Hippie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +341
    I'm in the Northwest... I'll fight this happening. Not everyone here is brain dead.

8. Black Lance

Black Lance Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Since many people will disagree with the below, let me preface this by saying that I am currently enlisted in the armed forces myself: I have spent one year on active duty and two in the guard.

I have mixed feelings about the sanctuary cities idea. It is entirely true that these "resisters" signed up of their own free will and took an oath to protect their country. After they accomplished military training these persons probably repeated that oath or a similar promise several times, and in the process of doing so they incurred certain obligations, not just to obey orders but also to adhere to broader obligationss of duty and honor.

Another side to the question, however, does exist. Reality is that military life is not right for everyone. Recruiters do not provide much information about what military service actually requires in practice, and as such it is difficult for potential recruits to adequately diagnose if the military is a good fit for them. The usual answer to such complaints is that people, if they are dissatisfied with military life, can leave the service when the term of their enlistment is over, but given the rigor of military life and the fact we are talking about a period of years, such solutions are much more easily stated than actually accomplished. There is much to be said on the subject of "sanctuary cities" for duty, honor, and holding people to their freely given promises. However, my personal feeling is that if veterans are so eager to avoid a second deployment to Iraq that they will uproot their entire lives to go into hiding, I must admit that a part of me is not very eager for the police to track them down.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  9. mightypeon

mightypeon Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I can understand Draft dogders. I would consider Draft dodging if my gouverment tells me to premptivly protect Georgias territorial integrity by attacking Russia. However, I am a Conscript. As far as I know, there are no Conscripts in the US Army.
    If they signed up voluntarily its their problem.

10. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,010
    The police do not track down anyone that goes awol or UA. They simply are required to run a check on them if they are picked up and if found to be in that status report them to the military and hold them for the military to pick up.

If Portland does this I would advice the US Government to cut all funds of any kind to said city. To threaten the city Government with legal action and to carry out said threat. Cities do NOT have the right to pick and chose what Federal laws and statues they will obey or enforce. They do NOT have a right to become sanctuaries for deserters.

This is like the bullshit with illegal aliens. In both cases the federal Government should squash any city that agrees to this and do it in a VERY public way.