San Francisco Port Workers Shutting Down Docks To Protest Iraq War!

Itsthetruth said:
Peace Rally Attracts about 3,000 Near Fort Bragg
The Associated Press
(03/19/05 - FAYETTEVILLE)

An anti-war rally organized in part by veterans and military families drew about 3,000 people to a park near Fort Bragg -- home to more than 40,000 soldiers and thousands of other dependents.

Demonstrators attending the rally on the second anniversary of the United States' invasion of Iraq said they hoped it would build pressure to bring troops home.

"I can't remain silent on these issues, slap a yellow ribbon on my car and call it supporting our troops," said Kara Hollingsworth, the wife of a soldier serving his second tour of duty in Iraq. "I support our troops by making sure they are not put in harm's way unless absolutely necessary."

Michael Hoffman, a co-Founder of Iraq Veterans Against the War who invaded Iraq in 2003 with the Marines, be didn't think anti-war protests undermine the morale of troops facing danger, Hoffman said.

"I've been in Iraq, I've been shot at, you're not thinking about the protests, you're not thinking about yellow ribbons, you're thinking about 'how am I going to get out of this?"' he said.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/news/031905_APlocal_peacerally.html

Interesting coming from the Times, catch the headline!

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/20/national/20protests.html?th

March 20, 2005
Two Years After Iraq Invasion, Protesters Hold Small Rallies
By ROBERT D. McFADDEN

wo years after the American-led invasion of Iraq, relatively small crowds of demonstrators - the home guard of the antiwar movement - mobilized yesterday in New York, San Francisco and cities and towns across the nation to condemn the war and demand the withdrawal of allied forces.

Thousands joined similar protests in European cities. On both sides of the Atlantic, the protests were passionate but largely peaceful, and nowhere near as big as those in February 2003, just before the war, when millions around the world marched to urge President Bush not to attack.

The American crowds ranged from about 350 in Times Square to several thousand in San Francisco. And in contrast to the vociferous rage of demonstrations two years ago, yesterday's protests were mostly somber and low-key, with marchers carrying cardboard coffins in silence to the beat of funereal drums, with rally speakers alluding often to the war dead and subdued crowds keeping behind police barriers.

Still, defiant resolution swirled in the afternoon air. "I don't like it," Ed Hedemann, 60, of Brooklyn, said of his impending arrest at a Flatbush Avenue recruiting station. "But there comes a time when, with the killing that's going on now, people have to stand up and say no. If that means getting arrested, that's a small sacrifice to make."

No serious injuries or clashes between demonstrators and the police were reported, although insults were exchanged by protesters and counterprotesters. Three dozen people were arrested in New York for blocking traffic or doorways at military recruiting centers, but these were choreographed with the time-honored rituals of civil disobedience, and restraint on all sides seemed to be the order of the day.

It was the last day of winter, but in many parts of America spring was in the air. In New York, the trees were bare silhouettes and the wind that scythed up from the rivers was cold. But a brilliant sun gilded the proceedings, and by midafternoon protesters were basking in temperatures in the high 40's.

Beyond New York and San Francisco, protests unfolded in Chicago, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, San Diego and what organizers said were 725 other cities and towns, places like Evergreen, Colo., where 13 people turned out to confront their neighbors with peace signs, and Algoma, Wis., where 8 people attended a "Bring Home the Troops" demonstration.

"We had no police problems," said Jill Bussiere, the protest leader in Algoma, population 3,353. "I called the police about a week ago, letting them know we would be there on the sidewalk, not blocking traffic. We were quite well received - many waves, some peace signs and thumbs up, a few beeps."

In communities large and small, the message was the same: End an unjust war that has killed more than 1,500 Americans and thousands of Iraqis, that has cost hundreds of billions of dollars and left America with frayed alliances and ugly images as occupiers and torturers.

In New York, the protesters carried simulated coffins draped in black shrouds and American flags. They taunted President Bush for the never-found weapons of mass destruction that were one of his stated justifications for war. They ridiculed his administration's color-coded barometer of terrorism threats and mocked its military recruiting slogans - the "Army of One," and "The Few, the Proud, the Marines."

Several thousand protesters marched from Harlem to Central Park for a rally where Representative Charles B. Rangel declared, "What we are doing here today is not popular, but it's the right thing to do." In Brooklyn, 300 people from two rallies that began miles apart converged on a military recruiting station at Flatbush Avenue near Lafayette Avenue. And in the Bronx, a vigil was held at a recruiting office.

In Midtown Manhattan, 350 protesters rallied at Dag Hammarskjold Plaza near the United Nations and, carrying simulated coffins to the beat of a snare drum, marched in silence to Times Square. More than two dozen - apparently volunteers for arrest - kneeled outside the recruiting station, then moved into the middle of Broadway between 43rd and 44th Streets and blocked traffic.

The police ordered them to move. In response, the protesters went limp, sprawling in the roadway. They were handcuffed with plastic strips and lifted onto a police truck, which took them away. Traffic was blocked for about five minutes. The police said later that 36 people had been arrested for disorderly conduct - 27 in Times Square, 8 in Brooklyn and one in Harlem.

Under the banners of a broad coalition of antiwar groups, including United for Peace and Justice and the War Resisters League, the protests were part of a weekend of marches, rallies, prayer gatherings, candlelight vigils, hip-hop concerts and other events to mark the second anniversary of the war's start.

The protesters included families with small children, students, professional and working people, veterans and families of service personnel, religious groups and many middle-aged and older people. Numbers were hard to gauge, but it seemed likely that tens of thousands took part across America.

In Europe, the gatherings were also modest compared to the 2003 protests. But 45,000 people marched in London in the day's largest protest. In Istanbul, Turkey, 15,000 demonstrated. In Spain, protests unfolded in nine cities, including Madrid and Barcelona. About 3,000 demonstrators halted traffic in Athens, and there were protests in Rome, Oslo, Stockholm and other cities.

President Bush did not comment on the protests, which seemed unlikely to have any significant effect on national policy or on the glacial movement of public opinion in America. But Mr. Bush, in his weekly radio address, defended the invasion of Iraq, noting that Saddam Hussein had been captured and an elected National Assembly installed in Baghdad to write a new constitution.

"On this day two years ago, we launched Operation Iraqi Freedom to disarm a brutal regime, free its people and defend the world from a grave danger," the president said.

Those missions, he said, have been accomplished.

Mr. Bush concluded, "Because of our actions, freedom is taking root in Iraq, and the American people are more secure."

In San Francisco, several thousand people marched through intermittent rain from a park to a rally at the Civic Center, carrying signs proclaiming "College Not Combat," and "Military Recruiters Lie." In Fayetteville, N.C., near Fort Bragg, the home of the 82nd Airborne Division and many of the special-forces units fighting in Iraq, 2,000 people, including veterans and families of service members, rallied in a park to hear speeches against the war. About 100 simulated coffins covered with American flags were on the ground. The tenor of the day was somber, with many references to the war dead.

In Chicago, about 1,000 protesters marched, watched by hundreds of police officers. At least two were arrested for refusing to move from Michigan Avenue, which had not been designated for the protest. Officers pushed others away and herded them into a park. Some protesters were indignant.

"It's not the 60's any more," said Erin Stephens, 23. "No one's putting daisies in the guns. It is a constitutional protected right to do this, and there's way too many police out here."

I'm coming in to this thread a bit late, but here goes.

First, I think it is uteer hypocrisy that the Left comes up with this inane "Support the Troops - Bring Them Home!" when the Left consistently votes against increased military spending for pay raises, better equipment, etc. etc. Want to support the troops? Keep the defense budget healthy.

Second, it's obvious that ITT knows nobody who's ever served in the military, much less Iraq. I have talked with dozens of friends who have come back from Iraq, all of whom were a) glad to be home, and b) glad to have gone and served. This whole notion that soldiers are protesting the war in droves is ludicrous.

gop_jeff said:
I'm coming in to this thread a bit late, but here goes.

First, I think it is uteer hypocrisy that the Left comes up with this inane "Support the Troops - Bring Them Home!" when the Left consistently votes against increased military spending for pay raises, better equipment, etc. etc. Want to support the troops? Keep the defense budget healthy.

Second, it's obvious that ITT knows nobody who's ever served in the military, much less Iraq. I have talked with dozens of friends who have come back from Iraq, all of whom were a) glad to be home, and b) glad to have gone and served. This whole notion that soldiers are protesting the war in droves is ludicrous.

Dang, tried to rep but couldn't! :beer:

Stephanie said:
I'm not going to say we as a country, have not EVER made mistakes, but my firiggin god, how in your soul can speak so against your own country, when we are at war, to save all your asssssssssss, just so you can sit here freely and spit on your own country. I think very much for myself thankyou, 51% of us believed the take down of Suddan the Murder, was a good thing. Thats the gull of you all, telling all of us, that we know not what we know, and you all know better. :bangheads

Patriotism is loving the country you're born in, not blindly following the people that run it. It is not only a right but it is a patriotic duty to carefully consider the issues, apart from the political rhetoric that is spewed out from both sides of the aisle and to speak your mind. It is outrageous that dissent is considered unpatriotic or inappropriate. I dont really think that the fighting going on in Iraq is in anyway protecting my ass here at home. There are far greater fears I have of the attitudes of some fellow citizens who would prefer to silence voices of dissent, or who choose to impose their personal religious beliefs on anyone else, or legislate morality.
I am a patriot, I love my country. I respect your right to have your opinion, and I dont consider you unpatriotic but I dont have to agree with you.

Just a sidenote, recently some news team went around and asked Americans if they knew the words to the star spangled banner.....Most did not. I heard a story about the circumstances under which it was written and this is a short synopsis, Keyes was out in the bay on a supply ship and the battle was waging, the struggle went on into the night....."by the rockets red glare"...they watched from that ship knowing that freedom fighters were fighting the battle of their lives.....they watched for glimpses of the flag....knowing that the British would pull down the star spangled banner and put up their own if they seized the fort. "In the dawns early light" when they looked out and still saw our flag they knew the British had been defeated.
I think every American should know this story and sing this song with passion.

sagegirl said:
Patriotism is loving the country you're born in, not blindly following the people that run it. It is not only a right but it is a patriotic duty to carefully consider the issues, apart from the political rhetoric that is spewed out from both sides of the aisle and to speak your mind. It is outrageous that dissent is considered unpatriotic or inappropriate. I dont really think that the fighting going on in Iraq is in anyway protecting my ass here at home. There are far greater fears I have of the attitudes of some fellow citizens who would prefer to silence voices of dissent, or who choose to impose their personal religious beliefs on anyone else, or legislate morality.
I am a patriot, I love my country. I respect your right to have your opinion, and I dont consider you unpatriotic but I dont have to agree with you.

We arent talking about dissent. we are talking about the outright antagonistic attitude the left has against the military and us defending ourselves. America and freedom is not the cause of all the problems of the world. But it could be the solution.

Just a sidenote, recently some news team went around and asked Americans if they knew the words to the star spangled banner.....Most did not. I heard a story about the circumstances under which it was written and this is a short synopsis, Keyes was out in the bay on a supply ship and the battle was waging, the struggle went on into the night....."by the rockets red glare"...they watched from that ship knowing that freedom fighters were fighting the battle of their lives.....they watched for glimpses of the flag....knowing that the British would pull down the star spangled banner and put up their own if they seized the fort. "In the dawns early light" when they looked out and still saw our flag they knew the British had been defeated.

I think you should sing the third verse more often. But i doubt you even know there was more than one verse.

We arent talking about dissent. we are talking about the outright antagonistic attitude the left has against the military and us defending ourselves. America and freedom is not the cause of all the problems of the world. But it could be the solution.

I think you should sing the third verse more often. But i doubt you even know there was more than one verse.

for more info on the battle:

http://www.nps.gov/fomc/

star spangled banner, 4 verses:
here:
http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/treasures/images/vc05112x.jpg
or more readable:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0194015.html

O say, can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hail'd at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, thro' the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watch'd, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still there.
O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore dimly seen thro' the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected, now shines on the stream:
'Tis the star-spangled banner: O, long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
A home and a country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wash'd out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

O thus be it ever when free-men shall stand
Between their lov'd home and the war's desolation;
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the heav'n-rescued land
Praise the Pow'r that hath made and preserv'd us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: “In God is our trust!”
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave

On Sept. 13, 1814, Francis Scott Key visited the British fleet in Chesapeake Bay to secure the release of Dr. William Beanes, who had been captured after the burning of Washington, DC. The release was secured, but Key was detained on ship overnight during the shelling of Fort McHenry, one of the forts defending Baltimore. In the morning, he was so delighted to see the American flag still flying over the fort that he began a poem to commemorate the occasion. First published under the title “Defense of Fort M'Henry,” the poem soon attained wide popularity as sung to the tune “To Anacreon in Heaven.” The origin of this tune is obscure, but it may have been written by John Stafford Smith, a British composer born in 1750. “The Star-Spangled Banner” was officially made the national anthem by Congress in 1931, although it already had been adopted as such by the army and the navy.

Kathianne said:
for more info on the battle:

http://www.nps.gov/fomc/

star spangled banner, 4 verses:
here:
http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/treasures/images/vc05112x.jpg
or more readable:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0194015.html

O say, can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hail'd at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, thro' the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watch'd, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still there.
O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore dimly seen thro' the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected, now shines on the stream:
'Tis the star-spangled banner: O, long may it wave

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
A home and a country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wash'd out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

O thus be it ever when free-men shall stand
Between their lov'd home and the war's desolation;
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the heav'n-rescued land
Praise the Pow'r that hath made and preserv'd us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: “In God is our trust!”
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave

On Sept. 13, 1814, Francis Scott Key visited the British fleet in Chesapeake Bay to secure the release of Dr. William Beanes, who had been captured after the burning of Washington, DC. The release was secured, but Key was detained on ship overnight during the shelling of Fort McHenry, one of the forts defending Baltimore. In the morning, he was so delighted to see the American flag still flying over the fort that he began a poem to commemorate the occasion. First published under the title “Defense of Fort M'Henry,” the poem soon attained wide popularity as sung to the tune “To Anacreon in Heaven.” The origin of this tune is obscure, but it may have been written by John Stafford Smith, a British composer born in 1750. “The Star-Spangled Banner” was officially made the national anthem by Congress in 1931, although it already had been adopted as such by the army and the navy.

Such a wonderful story and such an important moment in American history, lets not fight over it......it belongs to all of us and I for one, like I said have great passion for it.

Itsthetruth said:
That's news! So the old claim by right-wingers that the anti-war movement and general opposition to the Vietnam war forced the government to withdraw U.S. troops from Vietnam wasn't true?

Hey. The anti-war movement sped up the withdrawl of forces from Vietnam and helped to prevent the loss of tens of thousands of additional U.S. troops. Still, over 50,000 soldiers lost their lives in vain. We can't permit a repeat of that in Iraq.

When did rightwingers claim that crap?????????????????????

The simple fact of the matter is the war was micromanaged from the white house by two successive democratic administrations and then Nixon. Protesters(drugged out hippies) like to romanticize their effect but in reality they were but a pesky fly.

Itsthetruth said:
"If it werent for the European's colonizing efforts". My point exactly. Great Britain colonized North America. That was their last great colonizing effort. We defeated the colonialists and won our independence. Who do you think American revolutionarys fought against .... the Swiss?

Vietnam has become a thriving capitalist nation. Lots of private investment in Iraq including American and European corporations! Once the United States left Vietnam they were free to become capitalists! Wasn't Vietnam and all of southeast Asia suppose to become "communist" if U.S. troops left Vietnam? Well, that didn't happen, did it?

Good thing "we" stopped those "commies" in Vietnam or they'd be on the shores of California by now! O wait! "We" didn't stop them! Are they in Los Angeles yet?

The government of Vietnam is communist, their economic system slowly through the years changed to capitalism after it was apparent that communist economic systems are like tits on a boar.

If you are unable to comprehend this I think we should remove your feeding tube too and let you die like a dog in the street.

Itsthetruth said:
And here I thought you were carefully watching with an eagle eye, every single thing I was posting .... even moving posts or deleting ones you didn't understand or agree with.

Isn't that what they do at your beloved DU?

Itsthetruth said:
Why do you keep "flaming" me in one post after another? I haven't done and won't do that to you.

If you have moved any of my posts around and not deleted them I'd appreciate it if you would message me and let me know where they have been located.

Thanks for your help.

Truth Evil, I nor any other mod has to tell you shit, get that straight.

As for the flaming, all the snide remarks in your posts are considered flaming, don't play the fucking idiot here(although I think you really are a savant, good at what we've yet to discover).

sagegirl said:

You don't get it do you? YOU ARE FOLLOWING THE RHETORIC.

Forum List

Back