San Francisco leaders OK universal health-care plan

Little-Acorn

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2006
San Diego, CA
Good news. If I ever develop some long, lingering health problem that my present insurance doesn't cover, I know where I'm moving to. Some might accuse me of taking unfair advantage of laws that weren't meant to do what I intend. But if it's a choice between that or going through long, miserable years of suffering, who can really blame me?

Course, next time I'm in the market to buy widgets, I'll probably have to bypass the widget producers of San Francisco, and buy them from Colorado or someplace. The SF producers don't have money trees, and so they'll have to pass the costs of their extra health care payments on to the only source of funds they DO have: customers who buy their stuff. All else being equal, their prices will obviously be higher for the same items. And if I buy from them, I'll be undercut by my competitors who buy THEIR widgets from Colorado, and maybe even run out of business. I really don't have a choice here: I MUST reject the San Fran widget companies.

I must thank the SF'ers, though, for so thoughtfully providing me a safety net for when I need it. And it they try to make some law saying it's only for longtime SF residents, not Johnny-come-latelies newly arrived from Southern Cal like myself, the Supreme Court will be on them like Barry Bonds' fingers on a syringe. They'll find out quick enough that they can't withhold government services from people based on length of residence - which would violate people's freedom to move around in the U.S. without hindrance.

I'm set for life... yahoo!!!!

P.S. more good news: They say this plan is for everyone, regardless of employment OR IMMIGRATION STATUS. Who can blame the bums and illegals for moving out of southern California in droves, up to San Francisco? Pretty soon I won't even have to press 1 for English down here any more... :^)

------------------------------------

http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/montereyherald/news/state/15071664.htm

S.F. leaders OK universal health-care plan

By LISA LEFF
Associated Press
Posted on Wed, Jul. 19, 2006

SAN FRANCISCO - The San Francisco Board of Supervisors voted unanimously Tuesday to make the city the nation's first to provide all residents with health care, approving a plan that would give adults access to medical services regardless of their immigration or employment status.

Financed by local government, mandatory contributions from employers and income-adjusted premiums, the universal care plan would cover the cost of everything from checkups, prescription drugs and X-rays to ambulance rides, blood tests and operations.

With backing from Mayor Gavin Newsom and all 11 supervisors, the so-called Health Access Plan proved to be a politically popular concept in San Francisco despite unmitigated opposition from the business community.

''What feels very good is the full board and the mayor getting on board,'' said Supervisor Tom Ammiano, who first championed the idea of making employers pay for some part of their workers' medical costs. ''That says the political will is there to make it happen.''

To offset the estimated annual price tag of $200 million, firms with 20 or more workers would be required to spend $1.06 for each hour worked by an employee, and those with more than 100 workers would have to pay $1.60 per hour up to a monthly maximum of $180 per worker. Companies that already offer health coverage would still have to pay if their insurance contributions did not meet the city's funding levels.

The Board of Supervisors still needs to vote on the plan once more for it to become final. The ordinance adopted Tuesday calls for businesses with more than 50 employees to start participating starting July 2007, while it would take effect for enterprises with 20 or more workers in April 2008.

Michael O'Connor, a nightclub owner who serves on the San Francisco Small Business Commission, predicted that the ''noble burden'' of the mandate would keep businesses from locating in the city and make goods and services more expensive as employers pass on the costs to customers.

O'Connor said many business owners were disappointed by Newsom's backing of the plan because the mayor got his start in business as the owner of a wine shop and several restaurants.

''One would think that someone who has owned and opened restaurants would be pretty clear on what the profit margin is, and how hard it is to get them open. A $5,000 licensing fee is difficult. A new $60,000 (health care) fee is disabling,'' he said.

(Full text of the article can be read at the above URL)

Little-Acorn said:
Good news. If I ever develop some long, lingering health problem that my present insurance doesn't cover, I know where I'm moving to. Some might accuse me of taking unfair advantage of laws that weren't meant to do what I intend. But if it's a choice between that or going through long, miserable years of suffering, who can really blame me?

Course, next time I'm in the market to buy widgets, I'll probably have to bypass the widget producers of San Francisco, and buy them from Colorado or someplace. The SF producers don't have money trees, and so they'll have to pass the costs of their extra health care payments on to the only source of funds they DO have: customers who buy their stuff. All else being equal, their prices will obviously be higher for the same items. And if I buy from them, I'll be undercut by my competitors who buy THEIR widgets from Colorado, and maybe even run out of business. I really don't have a choice here: I MUST reject the San Fran widget companies.

I must thank the SF'ers, though, for so thoughtfully providing me a safety net for when I need it. And it they try to make some law saying it's only for longtime SF residents, not Johnny-come-latelies newly arrived from Southern Cal like myself, the Supreme Court will be on them like Barry Bonds' fingers on a syringe. They'll find out quick enough that they can't withhold government services from people based on length of residence - which would violate people's freedom to move around in the U.S. without hindrance.

I'm set for life... yahoo!!!!

P.S. more good news: They say this plan is for everyone, regardless of employment OR IMMIGRATION STATUS. Who can blame the bums and illegals for moving out of southern California in droves, up to San Francisco? Pretty soon I won't even have to press 1 for English down here any more... :^)

------------------------------------

http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/montereyherald/news/state/15071664.htm

S.F. leaders OK universal health-care plan

By LISA LEFF
Associated Press
Posted on Wed, Jul. 19, 2006

SAN FRANCISCO - The San Francisco Board of Supervisors voted unanimously Tuesday to make the city the nation's first to provide all residents with health care, approving a plan that would give adults access to medical services regardless of their immigration or employment status.

Financed by local government, mandatory contributions from employers and income-adjusted premiums, the universal care plan would cover the cost of everything from checkups, prescription drugs and X-rays to ambulance rides, blood tests and operations.

With backing from Mayor Gavin Newsom and all 11 supervisors, the so-called Health Access Plan proved to be a politically popular concept in San Francisco despite unmitigated opposition from the business community.

''What feels very good is the full board and the mayor getting on board,'' said Supervisor Tom Ammiano, who first championed the idea of making employers pay for some part of their workers' medical costs. ''That says the political will is there to make it happen.''

To offset the estimated annual price tag of $200 million, firms with 20 or more workers would be required to spend $1.06 for each hour worked by an employee, and those with more than 100 workers would have to pay $1.60 per hour up to a monthly maximum of $180 per worker. Companies that already offer health coverage would still have to pay if their insurance contributions did not meet the city's funding levels.

The Board of Supervisors still needs to vote on the plan once more for it to become final. The ordinance adopted Tuesday calls for businesses with more than 50 employees to start participating starting July 2007, while it would take effect for enterprises with 20 or more workers in April 2008.

Michael O'Connor, a nightclub owner who serves on the San Francisco Small Business Commission, predicted that the ''noble burden'' of the mandate would keep businesses from locating in the city and make goods and services more expensive as employers pass on the costs to customers.

O'Connor said many business owners were disappointed by Newsom's backing of the plan because the mayor got his start in business as the owner of a wine shop and several restaurants.

''One would think that someone who has owned and opened restaurants would be pretty clear on what the profit margin is, and how hard it is to get them open. A $5,000 licensing fee is difficult. A new $60,000 (health care) fee is disabling,'' he said.

(Full text of the article can be read at the above URL)

I think I would rather go ahead and just die peacefully somewhere else.

Is there any indication that San Fran's new program will have any safeguards against the kind of things I described? People with chronic (and expensive) illnesses moving there while healthy people who must pay anyway, move out? And the problem of companies going out of business because of the additional fees their non-SF competitors don't have to pay?

Is it even possible for the program to prevent such things? Most measure they migh consider, are against onelaw or another, as the preface pointed out.

Mr.Conley said:
The most fascinating part of your post is that apparently San Francisco has a company that produces widgets.
In San Francisco they don't call them that. I was speaking generically. :laugh:

they also:

outlawed guns

voted to impeach bush

house and feed all the homeless

tax developers out of builiding anything

companies and people are leaving in busses for the burbs

it will be a city of un-employed, homeless, terminally ill, defensless fags

"escape from new york in drag"

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp

Forum List