San Francisco Board Of Supervisors - Absolutely Amazing

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
SF SUPERVISORS VOTE DOWN RESOLUTION SUPPORTING USS IOWA
07/12/05 9:00 PDT

SAN FRANCISCO (BCN)

The San Francisco Board of Supervisors today voted 3-8 against a resolution urging the San Francisco Congressional Delegation to support the permanent berthing of the USS Iowa as a museum at the Port of San Francisco.

The congressional delegation secured $3 million in 2000 to move the USS Iowa, which was present at the signing of the treaty between Japan and the U.S. in 1945, from Rhode Island to the Bay Area, the proposed resolution says.

A study commissioned by the Port of San Francisco concluded that the ship would attract more than 500,000 people during its first year at the waterfront, according to the proposed resolution.

But Tom Ammiano said today he didn't want the ship berthed in San Francisco because of the military's treatment of gays and lesbians and its "don't ask, don't tell'' policy.

"It's dehumanizing,'' Ammiano said. "You are not allowed to be a gay or lesbian in the military except when there is a war and then when the war ends, you are kicked out.''

Supervisors Ross Mirkarimi and Chris Daly also spoke out against the resolution, citing their opposition to the US occupation in Iraq.

"I am sad to say I am not proud of the history of the United States of America since the 1940s,'' Daly said.

Supervisors Sean Elsbernd, Fiona Ma and Michela Alioto-Pier voted in favor of the resolution.

http://www2.cbs5.com/localwire/loca...eadlineNews/SF-SUPERVISORS/resources_bcn_html

Well, crap. If we had known then what we know now, my bet is we would have let the Japanese have a good portion of California without firing a shot....

For those who don't know, I am kidding....

Sounds like it's ran by a bunch of Gabby's pals... she does live there ya know...

CSM said:
Well, crap. If we had known then what we know now, my bet is we would have let the Japanese have a good portion of California without firing a shot....

For those who don't know, I am kidding....
It may not be too late. Lets call them and see if they still want it. I'm not kidding!!

Merlin said:
It may not be too late. Lets call them and see if they still want it. I'm not kidding!!
Now why would you want to do that to the Japanese...lets call the French instead! The French need a shot in the arm for their wine industry (not whine industry...they have that down pat!)

Though the French are just as likely to surrender to California as to take it over.

Geez, north Jersey and south Jersey fought over which would have the honor of having the USS New Jersey berthed there. And as you must know, NJ is not a conservative state.

Heck, let's just retrofit the damn thing and put it back in service....lob a few 16 inch shells just for the heck of it....no target in particular, mind you, but I bet a few folks have suggestions.

CSM said:
Heck, let's just retrofit the damn thing and put it back in service....lob a few 16 inch shells just for the heck of it....no target in particular, mind you, but I bet a few folks have suggestions.
San Fran-sissy does have a lot of hills..maybe they could use a bit of help leveling things. :)

Forum List

Back