San Fran first city to hit $10 minimum wage.

San Francisco Becomes First U.S. City To Top $10 Minimum Wage | Fox News
These people are morons, the price of everything else is going to go up right along with it, and they can barely pay there bills to begin with. I just hope they dont plan to fund this with Federal Money because the rest of us out here in reality cannot afford there shitty policies.

And how is this different from the rest of the country?
Other than it being San Francisco and the rest of the country not being San Francisco.

San Francisco Becomes First U.S. City To Top $10 Minimum Wage | Fox News
These people are morons, the price of everything else is going to go up right along with it, and they can barely pay there bills to begin with. I just hope they dont plan to fund this with Federal Money because the rest of us out here in reality cannot afford there shitty policies.

Everything is relative. Any idea how much it costs to live in San Francisco? Do you think a person can make it on $7.40 an hour in San Francisco the same as they can in Tupelo, MS? More likely than not, very few businesses pay below that anyway. Local minimum wage laws usually do reflect the cost of living fairly accurately. This really is a non-issue, just something for the right to get their undies all bunched up over.

Who works at minimum wage jobs anyway?

A lot of those jobs that Mexicans are taking from Americans - the ones that Americans bitch so much about being taken from them - are minimum wage.

Fast-food helpers at the bottom of the ladder. Maybe some janitors? But not even most of them.

A minimum wage hike also raises wages that are close to minimum wage to rise. Its a natural market response. If working a year at fast food place X gets you a $1 raise, then the law comes along and gives everyone a $1 raise so that you're right back at minimum wage, and X doesn't give you a raise - you'll look for restaurant Y who will pay you a little extra.

If you think this is going to cause ANY large-scale effect, you're not thinking (which is of course typical for right-wing talk-radio parrots; thinking ain't exactly their strong suit).

Why would it cause a "large scale effect" ? Its a LOCAL issue.

Anyway, there's no evidence that increases in minimum wage cause either increased unemployment or widespread price increases, although it might cause a slight hike in the price of a Big Mac.

Reason. You have it.

Last edited:
The minimum wage in San Fran is going up from $9.92 to $10.24 an hour.

WOW.

BTW - if you think a place with a low minimum wage is so great, try Puerto Rico or American Samoa!

San Francisco gets what San Francisco votes for. Growth in the Bay Area has already become stagnant. They lost out in redistricting because of population shifts in the state.

Note to self: Avoid San Francisco.

You would do yourself a favor by avoiding San Francisco. They have an unusual affection for human waste. The many homeless use the streets as open latrines. Nudity is legal so the last big fight was over whether or not nudists should have to use a towel or barrier when they sat at restaurants. Although I do think the left lost that one. IF anyone pays attention to the barrier ordinance.

You would do yourself a favor by avoiding San Francisco. They have an unusual affection for human waste. The many homeless use the streets as open latrines. Nudity is legal so the last big fight was over whether or not nudists should have to use a towel or barrier when they sat at restaurants. Although I do think the left lost that one. IF anyone pays attention to the barrier ordinance.

Yeah, San Francisco just loves it when other cities round up the homeless and ship them to San Fran

You hate local government I guess.

Nope, I hate a local government that implements policies that the rest of America has to pay for. If San Francisco will pay for this themselves and can afford it, I support them in it. It's when they rely on the rest of America to pay for there decisions is when I hate them.
PLease elabortate on how I' have to pay for their minimum wage increase

Do you honestly believe that a state that is bankrupt can afford to raise the minimum wage like this without federal help?

On more thread and one more example of simplistic thinking and a failure to understand cause(s) and effect. New Right supporters are in general stupid, ignorant or willfully so and do not understand microeconomics; most have never been to San Francisco yet make broad judgments based on little more than emotion and the propaganda of conservative media talking heads.

In other words, you do not have an intellectual opinion based on facts in this topic?

Actually, this is the perfect example of why local governments are supremely better. If this policy starts to drive out businesses and wreck havoc on San Francisco's economy, people can simply move. However, if this was done at a federal level then you have nowhere to go, we're all screwed.

What better way to get money circulating to small business? Giving tax breaks to the uber-wealthy is a myth, a RW taking point with no basis in reality.

So you believe that taxing wealthy people even more will encourage them to create more jobs? So in your sick way of thinking, if someone was a business man who employs thousands of people and the government taxes them, they will just except the tax and not lay off workers or increase the price of their products to compensate for the tax increase?
To be put more plainly, If the job creators are taxed even more they will do one of two things, lay people off "Hurt the middle class" or increase the price of their products "Hurt the middle class". Either way it hurts the middle class to tax the wealthy job creators.
If you dont see the reality in that, then you're not looking for it.

Just like how unemployment soared after Clinton raised the minimum wage. Man those 90's were tough times.

People where creating jobs back then, Clinton did not have his foot on job creators throats either like Obama and the Democrats are doing right now. Different era. Shitty example on your part.

Clinton raised taxes AND the minimum wage. So I'm not sure how you can justify your statement in the context of right wing ideology.

Was the economy as fragile then as it is now? Even in California back then the state economy was not this bad. Raising the minimum wage will only increase the costs of goods and services, it does not help the lower class one bit, it hurts them even more. I'm just glad it's in california where it will chase out businesses and people, they deserve a better state government then what they have right now anyways, and the people who can afford to leave will, and maybe the ones who cant will start voting with some common sense, but they will have to suffer some first by the hands of those they have elected before any of that will happen.

Actually, this is the perfect example of why local governments are supremely better. If this policy starts to drive out businesses and wreck havoc on San Francisco's economy, people can simply move. However, if this was done at a federal level then you have nowhere to go, we're all screwed.

If people could "simply move" no one would live in shitty school districts.

Or if local governments would approve of vouchers and allow parents to place there kids in better schools they would not have to be in shitty school districts, but how would that look on union teaching jobs if there where no kids in there classes to indoctrinate?

Who works at minimum wage jobs anyway? Fast-food helpers at the bottom of the ladder. Maybe some janitors? But not even most of them.

If you think this is going to cause ANY large-scale effect, you're not thinking (which is of course typical for right-wing talk-radio parrots; thinking ain't exactly their strong suit).

Anyway, there's no evidence that increases in minimum wage cause either increased unemployment or widespread price increases, although it might cause a slight hike in the price of a Big Mac.

There is ample evidence that an increase in minimum wage causes layoffs and price increases, do you think the mom and pop store down on the corner can afford for the state to tell them they have to pay a higher hourly wage? They cannot, they either have to lay someone off or raise the price of goods and services to make up for that extra money they have to pay out, it's economics 101.

And here this whole time I just thought it was all the hippies in the streets and the occupy movement that smelled like waste there. :lol:

Yeah, San Francisco just loves it when other cities round up the homeless and ship them to San Fran

Nobody rounded them up, they migrated there because that is what happens when you implement nanny statist policies. The trash and bums from all over will migrate there for all the "Free" stuff.

Nope, I hate a local government that implements policies that the rest of America has to pay for. If San Francisco will pay for this themselves and can afford it, I support them in it. It's when they rely on the rest of America to pay for there decisions is when I hate them.
PLease elabortate on how I' have to pay for their minimum wage increase

Do you honestly believe that a state that is bankrupt can afford to raise the minimum wage like this without federal help?

Huh? State jobs pay above minimium wage; the higher the income of residents, the more revenue is collected by the state (income and sales taxes); CA sends more money to Wash D.C. then it recieves in revenue sharing.

Utter bullshit. I've never once been asked to pay the paycheck of a person employed anywhere in San Francisco. Neither have you, I'm sure.

Forum List

Back