San Antonio Spurs

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Gunny, May 23, 2008.

1. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    This thread was prompted by Snowman's premature shit-talking.

What is it exactly the Spurs need to do? They have 4 championships in 8 years and are trying for 5 in 9. Yet, if there was a Rodney Dangerfield of the NBA, they are it.

They get no respect from the media. No respect from fans and no respect from the NBA and no respect from the ref's. We can't even get home court calls on our own damned court.

If it was LA or Boston the media'd be hyping a dynasty. The NBA'd be giddy because they'd get rid of the small market nuisance that is hampering the countless bandwagon riders whenever LA, Boston, Detroit, NY or any other of the "old dynasty" teams is lining their pockets with gold.

Tough shit, huh? We suffered through this team sucking so bad the trees the leaned in their direction. So don't mind me if I rub it in just a little that whether you like them or not, they ARE the best there is ... for the moment.

One thing about the Spurs. They can't just win. They have to make it as hard as possible on themselves.

2. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    One thing about the Spurs, they can't just win. They have to cheat as hard as the Patriots in order to do it.

Spurs suck!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,136
    Spurs have been the best basketball team since the Bulls.

I fully expect them to dispatch the Lakers and win a fifth title.

4. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,937

Oh shut yer yap you big crybaby! If the NBA hadn't conspired against the Celtics in the lottery o' those years ago, Tim Duncan would've been a Celtic and the Spurs would have exactly zero titles. :eusa_snooty:

5. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,136
    lol, well I guess I can kiss my career as a sports gambler good-bye!

6. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770

Are you kidding? Shit, they absolutely disgust me the way they let other teams push them around and beat on them. I wish they WOULD throw some retaliation every once in awhile.

Kind of hard to cheat when you continually have to play against the other team and 3 referees.

7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Yeah ... except if they're going to do THAT, it's with the usual drama. Dispatching is not allowed. They have to go down 0-2 and win nailbiters down to the wire.

Drives me nuts. The city here collectively wrote them off against NO. The usual rah-rah shit hasn't happened this year.

The entire mentality here every year is the NBA will screw the Spurs. We aren't big money. David Stern has made it clear over the years he doesn't like the Spurs.

Whatever. If they don't get their shit together that 5th title will be next year's dream. They're getting beat by a one-man team right now.

8. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Right. You ARE aware Tim Duncan was the LAST TIME the Spurs have had a lottery pick? It's the longest current dry spell of any team in the NBA.

At the time Duncan was picked, he wouldn't have helped Boston anyway. IIRC, didn't Boston get the double-whammy from choosing Len Bias and then had another player who came up with a heart problem in the middle of the season?

I've always been sort of a Celtics fan ... try not to fuck that up.:evil:

9. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,937
    I'll do my best!

And fwiw: I'm pulling for the Spurs in the WC finals and still think they can get it done.

10. Ninja

Ninja Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +377
    That's just stupid.

The 2001 Lakers would have owned any of the Bulls teams of the 90's and any of the Spurs teams that have won titles.

BTW - if the Spurs win this year it'll be a fourth title. Not fifth. Unless you're counting 1999*

GunnyL - what the Spurs need to do is REPEAT. Like all great teams do. It's this year or never because the window is closing very quickly!

They brought their A game today and the Lakers played horrible... and there was still a point in the fourth where Kobe nailed two threes to cut the deficit to 9... Could have been another Laker comeback but they couldn't get any stops. Soon thereafter PJax pulled the starters and Spurs won by 20.

Bottom line, Spurs played their best game of the playoffs, Lakers played arguably their worst, but if they'd made their layups and free throws they'd be up 3-0. If I'm a Spurs fan that scares me.

And you Spurs fans need to ditch the weird siege mentality, the sports media has always shown the Spurs much love.