Votes: 8 53.3%
  • No, Should stay where he is and see what happens

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters

Samson

Póg Mo Thóin
Dec 3, 2009
A Higher Plain
Actually, I need to kill two birds with one thread: I've never introduced myself, and I need some constructive advice which, even though I've been reading many asinine posts from a good-sized fraction of this board's membership for the past couple of weeks, I hope to mine like Gold from a Mountain of Ore.

I've worked from Boulder, CO for the past 4 years as a Chemical Engineer in Refineries in Wyoming. I absoultly LOVE the High Plains, Moutains, Rivers.....all aspects of life here.....even the wind and snow. My company will be merging with another, and I'm about 25% concerned that I might be laid off as a result. I need to support Delilah, a 15 yo, a 13 yo, a 7 yo, a Shi-Tzu, and Hammy, who you may already know about.

So, I've been interviewing for another position that will, eventually require that I move back to Houston in 5-10 years. I met my potential future employer yesterday, and will have a third round of interviews in January. Either this guy was ill, or really does have the personallity of dishwater, but the job would essentially entail National Travel (mostly through the "Rust Belt) at first, then internationally (in 5-10 years) worldwide. I'll probably be offered the job (I'm perfectly qualified).

So, whatdaya think I should do (see poll).

Actually, I need to kill two birds with one thread: I've never introduced myself, and I need some constructive advice which, even though I've been reading many asinine posts from a good-sized fraction of this board's membership for the past couple of weeks, I hope to mine like Gold from a Mountain of Ore.

I've worked from Boulder, CO for the past 4 years as a Chemical Engineer in Refineries in Wyoming. I absoultly LOVE the High Plains, Moutains, Rivers.....all aspects of life here.....even the wind and snow. My company will be merging with another, and I'm about 25% concerned that I might be laid off as a result. I need to support Delilah, a 15 yo, a 13 yo, a 7 yo, a Shi-Tzu, and Hammy, who you may already know about.

So, I've been interviewing for another position that will, eventually require that I move back to Houston in 5-10 years. I met my potential future employer yesterday, and will have a third round of interviews in January. Either this guy was ill, or really does have the personallity of dishwater, but the job would essentially entail National Travel (mostly through the "Rust Belt) at first, then internationally (in 5-10 years) worldwide. I'll probably be offered the job (I'm perfectly qualified).

Move to Japan.

I actually got my Seymour: An Introduction book back just last week. My friend has had it for five years. :D

You should try to get a job at one of the 12 coal mine in Gillette. My soon to be if not already ex sister in law works at one on the northside of Gillette and she makes very good money.

Move to Japan.

Ok, she'll meet me at the airport:

3-12.jpg

Last edited:
I dunno what you should do Samson. I know I spent around 10 yrs in a road job and if you have a family it pretty wells sucks. I hate hotels now.

I dunno what you should do Samson. I know I spent around 10 yrs in a road job and if you have a family it pretty wells sucks. I hate hotels now.

Either way, I'll be travelling at least 50%.

But I've done this for the past 20 years, and have found that contrary to it "sucking" its probably been one reason I've not run away from home.

You know your industry best ... go with your gut. If all else fails you could always come back to this side of the country - maybe Oak Ridge could use you.

Move to Japan.

Ok, she'll meet me at the airport:

3-12.jpg

HEY! Whirred you git pitcher o' MY WIFE?:mad:

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

I've been involved in the upstream petroleum industry for 30 years- mostly stuck in an office aka "rut".

All I'll ever do is dream of a job like you've been offered.

Where you live is as least as important to how much you make in terms of quality of life.

I've been to Houston and to Boulder. Boulder is a beautiful city. Houston is a shit hole.

Well, seems the poll is dead even......which is where I'm at too.

Yesterday I learned that the Technical Guru and the Marketing Manager had Jumped Ship....looks like anyone with any brains is leaving, and I'm beginning to feel like I might become one of the last Texans left at the Alamo....

Just make sure if you take this new job you can still post here 90 times a day, we'd miss you if you didn't!

Forum List

Back