Samples of white privilege

The thread poster's reason is obvious, but then is he or she white trash and is making an attempt however meaningless to feel good about being themselves? Many humans must have someone to look down on for in their insecurity they are lost wondering who looks down on them. I am reading a fascinating book on class and white trash linked below, it is a detailed portrait back to our founding as a nation that gives an idea how white privilege influences white trash and others. Civil War section on slavery covered attitudes still prevalent in the south, check it out.

'White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America' by Nancy Isenberg

And for the more educated white trash see these too, full disclosure we grew up white trash.

'Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis' by J. D. Vance

'The Party Is Over: How Republicans Went Crazy, Democrats Became Useless, and the Middle Class Got Shafted' by Mike Lofgren

"White children, in the main, and whether they are rich or poor, grow up with a grasp of reality so feeble that they can very accurately be described as deluded--about themselves and the world they live in. White people have managed to get through their entire lifetimes in this euphoric state, but black people have not been so lucky: a black man who sees the world the way John Wayne, for example, sees it would not be an eccentric patriot, but a raving maniac." James Baldwin

"...One did not have to be very bright to realize how little one could do to change one’s situation; one did not have to be abnormally sensitive to be worn down to a cutting edge by the incessant and gratuitous humiliation and danger one encountered every working day, all day long. The humiliation did not apply merely to working days, or workers; I was thirteen and was crossing Fifth Avenue on my way to the Forty-second Street library, and the cop in the middle of the street muttered as I passed him, “Why don’t you ******* stay uptown where you belong?” When I was ten, and didn’t look, certainly, any older, two policemen amused themselves with me by frisking me, making comic (and terrifying) speculations concerning my ancestry and probable sexual prowess, and, for good measure, leaving me flat on my back in one of Harlem’s empty lots. Just before and then during the Second World War, many of my friends fled into the service, all to be changed there, and rarely for the better, many to be ruined, and many to die. Others fled to other states and cities—that is, to other ghettos. Some went on wine or whiskey or the needle, and are still on it. And others, like me, fled into the church." James Baldwin Letter from a Region in My Mind

Forum List

Back