Same-Sex Marriage

Sigh.... Wouldn't it be easier to allow churches / synagogues / temples / mosques / whatever to decide who they want to marry, but also to change the law so that if gays want to get married and a church won't do it then a civil union gives them all the rights that a couple married in a religious ceremony would have?

Sorry, that was a really long sentence.

Seems to me that this would allow the folks to insist of religious "marriage" being males /female to preserve it that way, but would also allow gay couples to overcome the legal hurdle.

No. The answer is to change the civil law and let gay and lesbian couples marry civilly.

No need for the Churches, Synagogues, Temples and Mosques to get upset. They continue to decide who they want to religiously marry.

In the third century, gays were able to marry, then that changed.

Let the religious have their religion, but stay out of unconstitutional CIVIL LAW restrictions.

Sigh.... Wouldn't it be easier to allow churches / synagogues / temples / mosques / whatever to decide who they want to marry, but also to change the law so that if gays want to get married and a church won't do it then a civil union gives them all the rights that a couple married in a religious ceremony would have?

Sorry, that was a really long sentence.

Seems to me that this would allow the folks to insist of religious "marriage" being males /female to preserve it that way, but would also allow gay couples to overcome the legal hurdle.

Which is the whole point, the ones opposed to gay marriage are actually opposed to gay couples as a whole. That's the problem, they are anti-gay and hiding behind the word marriage.

No. The answer is to change the civil law and let gay and lesbian couples marry civilly.

No need for the Churches, Synagogues, Temples and Mosques to get upset. They continue to decide who they want to religiously marry.

In the third century, gays were able to marry, then that changed.

Let the religious have their religion, but stay out of unconstitutional CIVIL LAW restrictions.

Er, I thought that's what I just suggested.

If the so-called 'religious' want to be gay haters no one can stop them. It's a choice to be hateful and discriminatory.

Er, I thought that's what I just suggested.

I didn't read your suggestion as what I just wrote. Aren't you a proponent of civil unions for gays but not marriage equality?

Civil unions do NOT provide the same rights and priveleges of marriage. 'Separate but equal' never is equal.

Which is the whole point, the ones opposed to gay marriage are actually opposed to gay couples as a whole. That's the problem, they are anti-gay and hiding behind the word marriage.

Oh dear. The first part of your sentence describes me. I'm opposed to gay marriage solely from a Christian perspective - (I don't know enough about the dogma of other religions to be able to comment on them), on the basis that marriage is male / female.

On the other hand, I think that any couple who have been joined as husband and wife in a civil union should have every right that any 'religiously' married couple have. This includes gay couples.

I'm not anti-gay hiding behind the word marriage. All too often people just assume that if you have an objection to gays being married from a religious standpoint that you MUST be anti-gay.

I didn't read your suggestion as what I just wrote. Aren't you a proponent of civil unions for gays but not marriage equality?

Civil unions do NOT provide the same rights and priveleges of marriage. 'Separate but equal' never is equal.

I clarified in my subsequent post.

Oh dear. The first part of your sentence describes me. I'm opposed to gay marriage solely from a Christian perspective - (I don't know enough about the dogma of other religions to be able to comment on them), on the basis that marriage is male / female.

On the other hand, I think that any couple who have been joined as husband and wife in a civil union should have every right that any 'religiously' married couple have. This includes gay couples.

I'm not anti-gay hiding behind the word marriage. All too often people just assume that if you have an objection to gays being married from a religious standpoint that you MUST be anti-gay.

But you are not against them having the right to it. That means you are not against the marriage just that you wouldn't recognize it religiously yourself. Different type of perspective.

But you are not against them having the right to it. That means you are not against the marriage just that you wouldn't recognize it religiously yourself. Different type of perspective.

I'm against them having the right to it in the Church that I am a member of (bad English again). As far as I'm aware, the overwhelming majority of Christian churches refuse to conduct same sex marriages. I agree with this position.

You assume that the only religious rite for marriage that matters is Christian. You are now a mind reader eh? I assume very little and in this case have assumed nothing. Please review my posts and note the words "church of your choice" or words to that effect.

The purpose of having a license is related to property rights. Wives and children used to be considered property of the husband. You are only partially correct. Property rights are only one set of relationships within a marriage.

"Marriage is an institution in which interpersonal relationships (usually intimate and sexual) are acknowledged by the state, by religious authority, or both. It is often viewed as a contract. Civil marriage is the legal concept of marriage as a governmental institution, in accordance with marriage laws of the jurisdiction. If recognized by the state, by the religion(s) to which the parties belong or by society in general, the act of marriage changes the personal and social status of the individuals who enter into it.

"For most of European history, marriage was more or less a business agreement between two families who arranged the marriages of their children. Romantic love rarely , and even simple affection was not considered essential. In fact at some times, too much affection in a marriage was considered a sin.

In Ancient Greece, no specific civil ceremony was required for the creation of a marriage - only mutual agreement and the fact that the couple must regard each other as husband and wife accordingly.
Marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sky, I am not your enemy. I could personally care less whether or not same-sex marriages are made "legal" because I don't believe the government has any business butting into your private life. Heck, the only reason I am still posting here without too much acid or disdain is that I am trying to show you another route to get the results you want. Currently you are banging your head against the wall from the inside of the box.

Actually, marriage is a right of the STATE... it deals with determination of property rights. The right to PERFORM a marriage is granted by the State to religious institutions.

The purpose of the license was a) to raise revenue for the State to pay for the preservation of the records; and b) to make sure that the people who were getting married could legally GET married (e.g., because of age and/or filiation). There weren't inter-racial marriages in some states even into the 1970's (see Loving v Virginia).

Only marriage gives the right to pension and social security benefits.... no contract or other agreement or other legal action would grant that.

Mostly, there's no reason why a couple who has been together for 20 years should have fewer rights than a couple who got married 30 seconds ago.

Jillian, sweetie, you should know better than to argue with me. I am always rite.:eusa_whistle: Now, if that big ol club of a hint didn't get to you I will spell it out.

There is no religious right to get married. The church can pick and choose who they will or will not perform the rite for.

There is no legal right to get married either. If you must have a license then you are getting permission. You do not need permission to exercise a bonafide right.

Your point b) is what I was mentioning about licenses and interracial marriage. Obviously the USSC has legislated those state laws out of existence, but the point is historically valid.

I will defer to your training as a lawyer in regards to pensions etc. But I will state as a reasonably well read (if not well educated) layman that if "Adam and Steve" incorporated the family unit they would meet most of the "rights" afforded by the marriage license. Additionally, they would have a huge tax advantage as they would pay no personal income tax at all. Matters of property would be easily handled since "corporate assets" are far easier to account for and dispose of than personal property. The individuals would be judgment proof. Adam and Steve could invite Eve to legally join the Corporation as a full member (doing an end around on the anti-polygamy laws). I am not certain as to each of the ways and means or forms to be filed, but I am certain it can be done. Hell, if I had all the details at my fingertips I would do it myself.

Hopefully Sky and others will see now that if the box they are trapped in won't change to accommodate them, it is time to climb into a different box.

Thanks for clarifying your point. You are anti-gay from a religious (Christian) perspective.

Thanks goodness Christianity is NOT the law of the land, YET. I am married civilly and by my Buddhist Lama with the support of our entire spiritual community.

My civil license isn't worth much. When I travel outside of California nowhere else in the US acknowledges my legal or spiritual union.

Sky, I am not your enemy. I could personally care less whether or not same-sex marriages are made "legal" because I don't believe the government has any business butting into your private life. Heck, the only reason I am still posting here without too much acid or disdain is that I am trying to show you another route to get the results you want. Currently you are banging your head against the wall from the inside of the box.

Jillian, sweetie, you should know better than to argue with me. I am always rite.:eusa_whistle: Now, if that big ol club of a hint didn't get to you I will spell it out.

There is no religious right to get married. The church can pick and choose who they will or will not perform the rite for.

There is no legal right to get married either. If you must have a license then you are getting permission. You do not need permission to exercise a bonafide right.

Your point b) is what I was mentioning about licenses and interracial marriage. Obviously the USSC has legislated those state laws out of existence, but the point is historically valid.

I will defer to your training as a lawyer in regards to pensions etc. But I will state as a reasonably well read (if not well educated) layman that if "Adam and Steve" incorporated the family unit they would meet most of the "rights" afforded by the marriage license. Additionally, they would have a huge tax advantage as they would pay no personal income tax at all. Matters of property would be easily handled since "corporate assets" are far easier to account for and dispose of than personal property. The individuals would be judgment proof. Adam and Steve could invite Eve to legally join the Corporation as a full member (doing an end around on the anti-polygamy laws). I am not certain as to each of the ways and means or forms to be filed, but I am certain it can be done. Hell, if I had all the details at my fingertips I would do it myself.

Hopefully Sky and others will see now that if the box they are trapped in won't change to accommodate them, it is time to climb into a different box.

Adam and Steve cannot collect social security benefits for all their incorporation. They cannot refuse to testify against each other in court. They cannot adopt each others children. And for all their 'legal fenagling' blood relatives who hate them can still come in after Adam has died and take Adam's property away from Steve. You don't know what you're talking about, frankly. I have previously posted numerous resources to learn about what it means to gay and lesbians legally. Suffice it to say, I cannot protect my family the way you can protect yours. You may be able to live with that. I will not.

Clearly you do not understand that there are over 1100 rights and priveleges that married heterosexuals enjoy that gay and lesbian couples are denied.

If you are opposed to marriage equality, that is your choice. I don't consider you an enemy, nor do I consider you a friend. Political opponent, perhaps.

I could care less about marrying in your church as much as you could care less if I can legally marry.

"The most significant difference between marriage and civil unions (or domestic partnerships) is that only marriage offers federal benefits and protections.

According to the federal government's General Accounting Office (GAO), more than 1,100 rights and protections are conferred to U.S. citizens upon marriage. Areas affected include Social Security benefits, veterans' benefits, health insurance, Medicaid, hospital visitation, estate taxes, retirement savings, pensions, family leave, and immigration law.

Because same-sex marriages in Massachusetts and California, civil unions, and domestic partnerships are not federally recognized, any benefits available at the state or local level are subject to federal taxation. For example, a woman whose health insurance covers her female partner must pay federal taxes on the total employer cost for that"
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0922609.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Heh... you're cute. ;)

That's true.

And I see where you're going with that, but Loving says something different. It defines marriage as a fundamental right. That means if one is going to restrict it, there has to be a VERY good reason.

Just because soemething is a right does not mean that right is unrestricted. I would point out the Metromedia line of cases which held that commercial speech could be subject to reasonable time, place and manner restrictions even though such restrictions limited the "speaker's" first amendment right.

I see where you're going. I just disagree that one should have to take extra steps to get what they should be entitled to.

It would be like saying that to get around segregation, black kids should have set up their own schools. (that whole separate but equal thing being no good and all)

Some people want gays and lesbians to be treated like less than full citizens. They want to punish us for loving each other.

Thanks for clarifying your point. You are anti-gay from a religious (Christian) perspective.

Thanks goodness Christianity is NOT the law of the land, YET. I am married civilly and by my Buddhist Lama with the support of our entire spiritual community.

My civil license isn't worth much. When I travel outside of California nowhere else in the US acknowledges my legal or spiritual union.

You see, that pisses me off.

I would never wish Christianity, nor any other religion to be the law of the land. What I would hope is that people such as yourself can receive exactly the same benefit under law as any Christian, church-married, heterosexual couple. The fact that your license isn't worth much outside California is, I believe, a national disgrace.

For several days now I've been reading your posts about people not respecting your religious beliefs. And yet you are quite happy to write off my religious beliefs as being inherently bigoted. It's not me that is anti-gay. Perhaps it's you that is anti Christian.

"When my late husband, Richard, and I got married in Washington, DC in 1958, it wasn't to make a political statement or start a fight. We were in love, and we wanted to be married.

...Not a day goes by that I don't think of Richard and our love, and how much it meant to me to have that freedom to marry the person precious to me, even if others thought he was the 'wrong kind of person' for me to marry. I believe all Americans, no matter their race, no matter their sex, no matter their sexual orientation, should have that same freedom to marry.

...I am proud that Richard's and my name are on a court case that can help reinforce the love, the commitment, the fairness, and the family that so many people, black or white, young or old, gay or straight, seek in life. I support the freedom to marry for all. That's what Loving, and loving, are all about."

— Mrs. Mildred Loving

Back from their honeymoon, the Lovings were arrested one night in their own bedroom—with their wedding certificate hanging over their bed—and prosecuted for the "crime" of "evading" their state's discriminatory law and violating Virginia's same-race restriction on marriage. Mildred and Richard were convicted of marrying the "wrong" kind of person, their marriage was pronounced an un-marriage, and they were given a choice of a year in prison or twenty-five years exile from their home state. They chose exile, got a lawyer, and sued to defend their family. The Lovings lost in state courts all the way up; the trial judge went so far as to declare: "Almighty God created the races white, black, yellow, Malay, and red, and he placed them on separate continents[.] The fact that he separated the races shows that he did not intend for the races to mix." The Virginia Supreme Court upheld the discriminatory "definition" of marriage, and the case came before the U.S. Supreme Court, which reversed, declaring, "The freedom to marry has long been recognized as one of the vital personal rights essential to the orderly pursuit of happiness by free men.
Freedom to Marry | Loving v. Virginia

You see, that pisses me off.

I would never wish Christianity, nor any other religion to be the law of the land. What I would hope is that people such as yourself can receive exactly the same benefit under law as any Christian, church-married, heterosexual couple. The fact that your license isn't worth much outside California is, I believe, a national disgrace.

For several days now I've been reading your posts about people not respecting your religious beliefs. And yet you are quite happy to write off my religious beliefs as being inherently bigoted. It's not me that is anti-gay. Perhaps it's you that is anti Christian.

No. You miss the point I am trying to make. This is a much clearer, and more positive view of gays and lesbians being able to marry than other posts I have read from you. Thank you for acknowledging that it is a national disgrace that my marriage is legally worthless in America.

If I have offended you, I'm sorry. I am not anti-Christian. I am anti-bigotry. Some Christians ARE flat out bigoted toward gays and lesbians and YOU know that's true.

I am angry at the LDS and Catholic Churches right now because they have worked so hard to withhold rights from me and my loved one.

You acknowledge that your religion discriminates against gay couples. Gay couples cannot marry in your church. I am pointing out that the religious aspects are not my concern, except when radical fundies with from tax breaks from my government, use their churches to politically organize to deny gays and lesbians civil rights.

That infuriates me. They ought to lose their tax free status.

For example, only married couples can:

File joint tax returns.

Receive Social Security survivor benefits.

At the death of a spouse, the surviving spouse can inherit the assets of the deceased without the payment of income tax; a surviving spouse is not forced to sell in order to pay tax on the increased value of a home.

In a medical emergency, married couples can visit their spouse in a hospital intensive care unit; a surviving spouse can arrange a funeral for a deceased husband or wife.

If married, an American can sponsor his/her foreign spouse for legal immigration to the United States.

These are extraordinarily important civil rights that are specifically denied to gay couples because federal and state laws do not recognize gay marriage. These laws impacted me very personally:

My partner, Tomas, and I have been in a 100 percent monogamous, committed relationship for more than seven years. When his student visa expired, he was forced to return to Spain because I could not sponsor him for a green card. Devastated at being alone, I made the incredibly difficult decision to move to Barcelona. It has not been easy. I had to learn two new languages and adapt to a new culture. I abandoned my two children and a grandchild, sold my home, gave up a wide circle of friends along with the charity work and church choir I loved. But our being together again has made these sacrifices worthwhile.

Gay marriage is essential to equal civil rights for all | Deseret News (Salt Lake City) | Find Articles at BNET

Heh... you're cute. ;) So I've been told :eusa_angel:

That's true.

And I see where you're going with that, but Loving says something different. It defines marriage as a fundamental right. That means if one is going to restrict it, there has to be a VERY good reason. Well you know that I don't put much stock in precedent if it's wrong. All the esteemed mathematicians in the past could have held that 2+2=5. It is still wrong. As I said, a license is permission. One doesn't need permission to exercise a fundamental right. For example: I don't know of anyone who would argue that driving a car is a right. I may be wrong since we are so litigious, but you get the point. So, you have the courts on your side. I simply have the satisfaction of sure and certain knowledge. LOL

Just because soemething is a right does not mean that right is unrestricted. I would point out the Metromedia line of cases which held that commercial speech could be subject to reasonable time, place and manner restrictions even though such restrictions limited the "speaker's" first amendment right. There are lots of anti-constitutional government regulations out there. I'm not familiar with the cases you mention, but I wasn't aware that the first amendment applied to commercial companies.

I see where you're going. I just disagree that one should have to take extra steps to get what they should be entitled to. I'm only trying to offer a way to get the results desired. I'm the one advocating the absolute removal of any and all government involvement in marriage. Then there is no problem and your privacy is slightly stronger than before.

It would be like saying that to get around segregation, black kids should have set up their own schools. (that whole separate but equal thing being no good and all)

It's been fun. But I think I have unintentionally gotten under Sky's skin.

Forum List

Back