Same Sex Marriage Legalized in Washington State

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
Wash. - Gov. Chris Gregoire handed gay rights advocates a major victory Monday, signing into law a measure that legalizes same-sex marriage in Washington, making it the seventh state in the nation to allow gay and lesbian couples to wed. With the overturn of Prop 8 in California, it seems likely it will become the 8th state to allow same sex marriage. 6 other states have legislation pending. domestic partnerships and civil unions are allowed in 7 other states. Today over 1/4 of the country recognizes same sex marriage, domestic partnerships or civil unions.

Read more: Washington state legalizes same-sex marriage

so to be clear; all of the rights accrued to 'married ' couples of opposite gender being provided to same sex unions is a no go if the word marriage is not attached?

just checking...

so to be clear; all of the rights accrued to 'married ' couples of opposite gender being provided to same sex unions is a no go if the word marriage is not attached?

just checking...
Marriage of same sex couples do not have the same rights at the federal level as do opposite sex marriages. Rights of civil unions and domestic partnerships vary by state as do their recognition by other states.

Last edited:
Get government the fuck out of marriage except for what is governmental business.... taxation, inheritance, power of attorney for emergencies, etc...

Jesus... All this legislation (and other ones like it) are about is forced acceptance and recognition....

Ho-hum. Wake me up when a topic I give a shit about hits this message board.

Gay marriage is a non-starter for me. I couldn't give a rat's ass if homos wanted to marry each other. If it creates jobs, lowers gas prices, decreases the national debt, and makes my house worth more money, I'm all for it!

Forum List

Back