Same Sex Dorms: Violation of Human Rights?

Obviously the more sensible way to deal with this is to offer both same sex dorms and gender specific dorms.

It is perfectly reasonable that some people want to dorm with people of both genders and it is equally reasonable that some prefer not to do so.

Obviously the more sensible way to deal with this is to offer both same sex dorms and gender specific dorms.

It is perfectly reasonable that some people want to dorm with people of both genders and it is equally reasonable that some prefer not to do so.

Or they could just go to another college. You have to apply to these places to get in. If you don't like the policy, go somewhere else.

That's what CUA had. My son went there. He was on a same sex floor in a co-ed building. It was only when the school announced they were changing all their dorms for the fall that this guy flipped out.

If the students or parents don't like it, they can go to another school for crying out loud. Honestly, why should they base their decision on some nutjob at another institution?

CUA has a zero tolerance policy for sex in the dorms. They are trying to prevent the expulsion of many of their students. That is a good thing.

Something tells me this guy has some other agenda. According to my kid, CUA has a significant LBGT population who keep it on the "down low" because of the "no sex" rule. There's definitely something else bothering this lunatic.

CUA has a zero tolerance policy for sex in the dorms. They are trying to prevent the expulsion of many of their students. That is a good thing.

These types of policies and restrictions are a good thing in colleges so far as I'm concerned. You're supposed to be there to get an education; it's not intended to be a 2-4 year bachanal.

The roommate I got expelled my freshman year for possession of marijuana in our dorm room would have been much better off telling his parents not to force him into a "Wellness" Dorm because it wasn't going to change his behavior. Instead the lesson cost them about $7000 in non-refundable tuition and expenses for their son to spend 7 weeks at school. Not a great investment.

These types of policies and restrictions are a good thing in colleges so far as I'm concerned. You're supposed to be there to get an education; it's not intended to be a 2-4 year bachanal.

The roommate I got expelled my freshman year for possession of marijuana in our dorm room would have been much better off telling his parents not to force him into a "Wellness" Dorm because it wasn't going to change his behavior. Instead the lesson cost them about $7000 in non-refundable tuition and expenses for their son to spend 7 weeks at school. Not a great investment.

You got a roomate expelled for pot? Are you for real?

I'm as serious as a heart attack.

I went to a private college that offered "Wellness" Floors in certain dorms. The university already had a zero tolerance policy for ANY alcohol on campus (regardless of age). In the Wellness areas that policy extended to tobacco and drugs and there were Quiet Hours (after 9pm). Failure to comply meant immediate expulsion on everything except Quiet Hours. That you got a single warning on. Dorm Staff were allowed to come in and search a room at any time with no advanced warning. Any contraband found in the room was expulsion for everyone in the room unless someone owned up to it IMMEDIATELY upon it being found. They went so far as to open lockers, desk drawers, check inside the fridge, toilet, etc...

My roommate Mike should never have been on a Wellness floor. He was a smoker, a drinker, a drug user, and a party animal. His parents were hoping that being on the Wellness floor was going to curtail his interests. It didn't. At all. I had to stop him from nearly date-raping his girlfriend one night. Then the pot showed up. He got two warnings from me to get it out of the room. He refused to comply. That Saturday morning, as I left for a study lab, I told the dorm staff what it was and where it was. 4 hours later when I came back to the dorm, Mike was sitting out front with all his stuff packed up, waiting for his parents to drive from New Jersey to Rhode Island to pick him up.

I went to a private college that offered "Wellness" Floors in certain dorms. The university already had a zero tolerance policy for ANY alcohol on campus (regardless of age). In the Wellness areas that policy extended to tobacco and drugs and there were Quiet Hours (after 9pm). Failure to comply meant immediate expulsion on everything except Quiet Hours. That you got a single warning on. Dorm Staff were allowed to come in and search a room at any time with no advanced warning. Any contraband found in the room was expulsion for everyone in the room unless someone owned up to it IMMEDIATELY upon it being found. They went so far as to open lockers, desk drawers, check inside the fridge, toilet, etc...

My roommate Mike should never have been on a Wellness floor. He was a smoker, a drinker, a drug user, and a party animal. His parents were hoping that being on the Wellness floor was going to curtail his interests. It didn't. At all. I had to stop him from nearly date-raping his girlfriend one night. Then the pot showed up. He got two warnings from me to get it out of the room. He refused to comply. That Saturday morning, as I left for a study lab, I told the dorm staff what it was and where it was. 4 hours later when I came back to the dorm, Mike was sitting out front with all his stuff packed up, waiting for his parents to drive from New Jersey to Rhode Island to pick him up.

For whats its worth I think you did the right thing, his behavior was putting you in jeapordy of being expelled as well.

Nice of you to actually warn him on this, before justifably getting his ass kicked out.

I would have never survived on a wellness floor, more of the booze than anything else.

Nice of you to actually warn him on this, before justifably getting his ass kicked out.

I would have never survived on a wellness floor, more of the booze than anything else.

Yeah me too, for me the attraction to college was partying and sleeping with co-eds, if I wanted to go to college and live righteous I would attend the Air Force Academy or something.

The booze thing was a full campus issue, not just a wellness issue. Anyone caught on campus with alcohol was expelled. I'm not saying there wasn't any of it around, just that there was a fairly high risk associated with it.

Yeah me too, for me the attraction to college was partying and sleeping with co-eds, if I wanted to go to college and live righteous I would attend the Air Force Academy or something.

They made these things very clear up front and ahead of time. It was a very interesting set of philosophies that the school used, and which they have unfortunately now gone away from in many regards.

They made these things very clear up front and ahead of time. It was a very interesting set of philosophies that the school used, and which they have unfortunately now gone away from in many regards.

Indeed, the only places I know about that have specific rules like that are Religious colleges and Military Academies like West Point and the Air Force Academy, I know colleges stress no alcohol and partying on campus but if you go to major universities across the country alot of them have the frat parties going on and some real wild parties on campus as well.

Indeed, the only places I know about that have specific rules like that are Religious colleges and Military Academies like West Point and the Air Force Academy, I know colleges stress no alcohol and partying on campus but if you go to major universities across the country alot of them have the frat parties going on and some real wild parties on campus as well.

At the time I was attending, there was no Greek Society allowed at the school. The university had a very career-oriented philosophy. There were few, if any, general studies courses. You declared a major within 12 weeks of being there (if not prior to showing up). It was really a no-nonsense atmosphere. Now it's largely become a Lib Arts school with some specialty programs.... CAD, Equine Management, Cullinary Arts, Fashion Design, Hotel & Restaurant Management.

At the time I was attending, there was no Greek Society allowed at the school. The university had a very career-oriented philosophy. There were few, if any, general studies courses. You declared a major within 12 weeks of being there (if not prior to showing up). It was really a no-nonsense atmosphere. Now it's largely become a Lib Arts school with some specialty programs.... CAD, Equine Management, Cullinary Arts, Fashion Design, Hotel & Restaurant Management.

Wow, most of the schools I heard about you can go on for years without declaring a major, alot of kids just want to go to college for the experience and fun, not that theres anything wrong with that however alot of them are unsure what they want to do for a career.

Wow, most of the schools I heard about you can go on for years without declaring a major, alot of kids just want to go to college for the experience and fun, not that theres anything wrong with that however alot of them are unsure what they want to do for a career.

They called it an Upside-Down curriculum. If you didn't know what you wanted to do, this wasn't the place for you. They made that very clear from the start. There were almost no electives and very few general ed classes. Everything was tailored to your major from the moment you walked in the door. You could do a one trimester (11 week) experimentation option, but after that you had to declare a major and you were required to take the summer trimester that year to make up the missed classes.

They called it an Upside-Down curriculum. If you didn't know what you wanted to do, this wasn't the place for you. They made that very clear from the start. There were almost no electives and very few general ed classes. Everything was tailored to your major from the moment you walked in the door. You could do a one trimester (11 week) experimentation option, but after that you had to declare a major and you were required to take the summer trimester that year to make up the missed classes.

I think that would work really well for students who were focused and knew what career they wanted to pursue, they still have schools like that?

Forum List

Back